The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2001, 01:16 PM   #1
AmericanFreeBird

Just ordered my Dillon XL650!!!

Order it today with .38/.357mag and .45acp die sets.

Can't wait to setup. Any suggestions on first use/setup?

AFB

Old June 18, 2001, 01:39 PM   #2
Alleycat

Solid bench.

er, let me restate that...

SOLID BENCH!

Otherwise, you'll love it!

Steve
Old June 18, 2001, 06:51 PM   #3
Nukem

Congrats!
If you didn't already get it, a casefeeder. Also spend the money on a dedicated toohead, powdermeasure, ect for each caliber you load.
This make the inital investment quite a bit more, but you'll be much happier in the long run.
Old June 19, 2001, 05:17 PM   #4
Doug 29

You'll LOVE it!!!!! Whatever is in 2nd place is WAY behind!!! Just take it slow on initial set-up, each time. After the adjustments are locked in you can really crank them out! And use Winchester primers. Some primers are not perfectly round and can tie the machine up. I can't afford a separate powder measure for each caliber, but the powder-checker is a nice safeguard. A casefeed and a toolhead for each caliber and you'll be very happy with your purchase.
Old June 19, 2001, 05:38 PM   #5
Waitone

I bought one and never looked back. You can go a long ways before needing a casefeeder. The casing tube hold 19 .45ACP shells. I second the need for a strong/sturdy/stout/strong/etc. bench.

Start slow and work out a routine. I load 10. weight powder throw, reload 10 casings, chamber check all 10 rounds, box 10 rounds, insert powder check casing back in the plate and do it all again.

Enjoy! and shoot frequently.
Old June 24, 2001, 02:14 PM   #6
Mendocino

I went a long time with my 650 without a casefeeder. A friend gave it to me as a "best-man's" gift. What a joy. While I did not have to pay for it, I would have. It is a wonderful addition. As others have said, with the first set-up take lots of time, make sure you know how everything works. Fon't force anything, you will break something. Have fun!

Jeff