The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 1, 2012, 06:32 AM   #1
CZVZ

Pietta 1858 shoots to the left

So, I'm relatively new to Cap and ball shooting, but my 1858 Pietta New Army shoots to the left. I have shot it enough to beleive that its the sites... not me. I have varied the powder charge from 25 - 30 grains of fffg and distances of 20 feet to about 20 yards rested on a bench. What is the least invasive way to adjust/tweak to get it to shoot point of aim? Other than "Kentucky Windage"

Thanks
CZVZ
Old June 1, 2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Hawg

Either filing the sights or removing the front sight and having a sight with a dovetail installed.
Old June 1, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
ZVP

when filing the rear sight remember to remove metal on the side/direction that you want the revolver to shoot. ie: file right side and the ball flies further to the right.
Be cautious and remove small amounts as it dosen't take much to make a difference.
I had to regulate both sights on my 5 1/2' '58, now it shoots spot-on @ 7 yards.
ZVP
Old June 1, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
straightcut

Not exactly non-invasive, which is what you were asking..but this shows how to remedy the situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPffq...ature=g-user-u

Check out the rest of the videos in this fine "Colt tuning series" by Dualist1954.
Old June 3, 2012, 06:47 AM   #5
CZVZ

after further investigation, I see the problem, the front site is installed offset/offcenter to the right side of the flat! Oh well, something to look for when I buy another. Does anyone know how the front sight is installed? Drilled and tapped or press fit and silver soldered?
thanks
CZVZ
Old June 3, 2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Hawg

Pressed in, don't think it's soldered.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:05 PM   #7
buckhorn

pietta shoots to left

None of my guns shoots directly to point of aim. But I know all their faults and try to compensate for them. It's adds a little fun to shooting, knowing if you compensated enough, or too much. I can understand wanting your gun to shoot as straight as possible, and I've even tried drifting the sight on my target Remington, but I,m sure the gun probably shoots straighter than I'm capable as shooter. I'm not an accuracy shooter, but if I,m close enough group-wise, I know gun is doing it"s job, I just didn't compensate enough. Besides, it's just FUN! I gave up "exact" for "close enough" when I retired.
Old June 4, 2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Hellgate

I have corrected the POI for windage on Pietta Remingtons by twisting the barrel a smidge. You want to make index marks before doing so. You have to use a padded vise to hold the barrel and use a padded monkey (toothless) wrench to turn the frame. You can only do it a few degrees before the sight picture looks queer. I was told by the late Tom Ball, gunsmith who worked on a lot of N/SSA target guns that the Ubertis were epoxied and you could not do the twist on them but it wasn't needed since they had dovetailed front sights.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)