The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2009, 08:16 PM   #1
cbuxton41

M1 Garand 36-06 Loads

Just acquired my first M1 garand and need ammo. Milsurp is very scarce so I am getting ready to reload for target only. Plan to shoot out to 600 yards.
I am going to start with Hornady 168GR A-MAX over 47.5 grs Hodgdon Varget COL 3.230 'cause thats what I have available.
This gun has a MW of 2 and TE 1.5, so I think it will shoot really well with the right load. Better than me I'm sure.
Anyone out there willing to share some pet loads for the
M1 30-06? Any advice for this M1 "newbie" would be gratefully accepted and very much appreciated.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
crowbeaner

With the 168 grain BTHP, I use 46.5 of WW 748 or BLC2, or 52.5 of WW 760. Good shot to shot consistency, powder drops like water, and functions fine without beating the op rod to scrap. I match prep my brass as in SB sized, trimmed, chamfered and deburred, flash holes deburred, swaged primer pockets, and primer pockets cut to a uniform depth. Cutting the primer pockets and deburring the flash holes only need to be done once, and provide a noticeable improvement in accuracy as well as making sure the primers are seated below the cartridge face to help prevent a slamfire.
Old April 11, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Bart B.

165-gr. bullets should do well in your Garand. I don't recommend match bullets as they typically don't shoot as accurate in standard Garand barrels. And get 30 caliber bullets at least .3086-in. in diameter if you can; those military M1 barrels are a bit oversize for most commercial bullets if best accuracy is ones objective.

When the Garand was THE rifle to use in highpower competition, folks got excited about the ball powders when they came out. All sorts were tried with different bullets. Accuracy wasn't as good as extruded powder produced. Same thing was noticed with the bolt action rifles.

IMR4064 was proved the best for accuracy back in the 1940's. But arsenals used high speed automated powder measures and IMR4064 didn't meter as accurate as IMR4895 did; such was life. Civilians reloading for the .30-06 Garands up through the 1970's did best with IMR4064 but only in new cases. Fired cases from Garands had their heads too much out of square being flattened against non-square bolt faces and they didn't shoot as accurate as new cases.
Old April 12, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
cbuxton41

Thanks guys for your insight an dadvice...much appreciated