The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 8, 2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Glenner

Bayonets and Swords - Need Info

If there is anyone out there that could help with some info on these items I'd appreciate it.
My neighbor has some old stuff he wants to sell, I'm trying to help him find a value. If you can help, I'll email you a few pictures. I'd post them here, but I don't know how. My ''Post Helper'' is now at Purdue.
Please email me at:
[email protected]

THANK YOU!
Old September 8, 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
diginit

It's easy to post a pic here. Move the pics to your desktop. You add it as an attachment. (click the the paper clip). I'm sure you could figure it out. There are instructions posted somewhere on this site.. If you can't quite get the hang of it, email them to me I will post them here for you. James.

I'm from terrahoyte, my grandmother was a mathmatics professor at Purdue and my grandfather was the basketball coach there. It is the least I could do.
Old September 8, 2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Glenner

I've actually got 1st and 2nd year students at Purdue. My daughter is in her second year, wants to be a CPA. My son is in his first year, he wants to be an engineer, type unknown at this time.....
YES, I'm kinda broke..........................

THANK YOU for the offer, pics are on the way!!!
Old September 8, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4
diginit

Here's a pic. I had to resize it in order to post it here. I also have to take my HD to a friend who is an IT an intel (where I used to work) in order to see exactly who here is penetrating my firewall and changing my settings to prevent me from accessing the net. I will post the rest ASAP. Along with a claim with the ICC

Old September 8, 2008, 10:58 PM   #5
diginit

here's a couple more

Old September 8, 2008, 11:33 PM   #6
diginit

Got the rest

I'd say that you're best bet would be at an auction house. That bayonett is a true collectors piece. A museum would love it. Probably owned by a high ranking officer. But that's just my guess.
Best of luck to you and yours. James

Old September 9, 2008, 05:21 AM   #7
Glenner

THANKS for the assist!!!
Old September 9, 2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Buzzcook

The bayonet in the middle appears to be a French 1874 Gras. It's called a "T" back bayonet. There were variations on that design and it was copied by other nations.
The bayonet in back looks like a variation on the Gras, but I don't know enough to be sure.

The sword is similar to a US model 1850 staff officers sword, but I wouldn't bet on it given the French script. The US copied French designs.
Old September 9, 2008, 05:08 PM   #9
ronl

The sword is an 1850 US officer's sword made in Solingen, Germany. The maker's name is above that but I can't make it out. The bayonets are French made in the St. Etienne arms factory.
Old September 9, 2008, 05:20 PM   #10
Glenner

I am trying to determine a value for these. I can email more/better pictures if it would help.
THANKS for the input Gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 9, 2008, 09:30 PM   #11
ronl

I'd say the value for the sword is somewhere between $900-$1300 from what I could see. I do see some rust on the blade but no visible pitting. Just a guess. Would have to see the sword in person to give a fair estimate. Best to take it to a reputable local dealer. Just be wary if one of the first questions he asks is how much do you want for it.
Old September 10, 2008, 05:44 AM   #12
Glenner

ronl,
I appreciate the help on the sword. The bayonets have dates on the top of the blades, they are 1875 and 1876. Any idea what they are worth?

I'm in northern Indiana, how do I find a dealer in this area?

Thanks for the help!!!
Old September 10, 2008, 07:08 AM   #13
B. Lahey

Quote:
I'm in northern Indiana, how do I find a dealer in this area?
I know somebody in South Bend who may want to take a look at the sword. I'll tell him about it this weekend.
Old September 10, 2008, 11:08 AM   #14
Glenner

I'm in Elkhart, call any time. 574-596-7755
Ask for Glenn.
Thanks!
Old September 10, 2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Buzzcook

Bayonet prices vary a bunch. Because they were made in the tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands they tend to not be rare. So even a bayonet in beautiful condition won't bring a truck load of money if it was a common variety. On the other hand a more rare variety might buy you a nice used car.
Take a look at Ebay and that should give you an idea of base price.
Old September 10, 2008, 01:41 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
I'd say the value for the sword is somewhere between $900-$1300 from what I could see.
The sword is a foot officers sword and if it was an Ames with the original sheath you might get 800-900 for it. 400-500 without the sheath. A German made sword without the sheath will bring more like 375 or 500 with the sheath.
Old September 10, 2008, 10:57 PM   #17
ronl

I'd say the bayonets are somewhere in the $75 to possibly $100 range. The estimates I gave you are what you could expect to get at a decent auction. There is a sword similar to yours on ebay that is now in the mid $600 range with over 3 days to go. That one is supposedly named to an officer which can make a difference in value. Do you know anything about where the sword came from? BTW Stonewall Jackson carried a model 1850 sword. Your sword was probably a private purchase item and is much finer than the US arsenal made swords. I'd do a little research if I were you. It might be worth the time and it could prove very interesting. I specialize in WW2 items and it is very interesting and educational doing research on named articles.
Old September 11, 2008, 05:38 AM   #18
Glenner

ronl,
One of those bayonets has a matching number sheath, that should help a little.
I don't know where to start looking for info on the sword, it's my neighbors, I'm trying to help him figure this out. He has no info on the sword. It's something he found in the house after his Father passed away.
THANKS for the info, everything helps!!!!
Old September 11, 2008, 06:27 AM   #19
saltydog452

'Search' is helpful. Use 'militaria' as a search word.

Also, see 'Bayonets' by Jerry Janzen, seventy printing, Cedar Ridge Publications, Broken Arrow, Okla. The book is a couple hundred pages in length, profusely hand illustrated with footnotes.

If you can't find a copy on Amazon, try Collectors Firearms, Houston, texas.

Remember, what they're 'worth' retail will, most likely, not be close to what they're 'worth' to a dealer.

salty
Old September 11, 2008, 12:00 PM   #20
Glenner

Thanks Salty!!!
May I should try something as simple as '' swordforums.com ''............
Old September 11, 2008, 12:05 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

UIf you give these guys a call they can probably point you in the right direction.
http://www.indianaauctioneers.org/
Old September 13, 2008, 12:36 PM   #22
B. Lahey

I passed along your info.

He seemed interested.