The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 26, 2009, 09:37 AM   #1
GJJ

I wish I would have never bought any autoloaders...

I started with Glocks. I have 8 of them and thousands of rounds of ammo, mags, holsters, and other accessories.

Then, I bought my first GP100. I own several now. I have an SP101 on the way. I wish I would have never got into Autoloaders now. I like revolvers so much better. They are more fun to shoot. They feel better.

Anyone else?
Old July 26, 2009, 09:43 AM   #2
neon

I like revolvers better than autos too for many reasons.

1. They are simple to clean. None of this take the slide off
and watch for flying parts coming out.

2. You can see a revolver is loaded very easily. How many
people have had accidental discharges while cleaning autos?

3. Being able to shoot more than one caliber in a gun. .357-.38
.44 mag-.44 special etc

4. Just like the look and feel of them.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Deaf Smith

Jeff Cooper felt the same way right up to his little stint at Guadalcanal. Even carried a Colt SSA .45 at the behest of Elmer Keith.

But as he said, "Reloading that relic, at night, in the rain, with people shooting at you, gets old fast".

I've got as many revolvers as autos, but I sure don't wish I never bought either type of gun.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Sevens

I love all of 'em, and the sure-fire way to make me REALLY want to shoot a revolver is to leave them all home on range day. But the opposite is also true of my semi's.

For damn sure, if you think you've wasted time and money on semi-autos all this time, I'd be glad to help you clear that nonsense from your world. I'll take a look at all the leftover pistols, brass and other components and reloading gear for the semi-autos that's mucked up the first half of your life!
Quote:
1. They are simple to clean. None of this take the slide off
and watch for flying parts coming out.
I love my revolvers, every one of 'em. But I couldn't disagree with this statement any more if I tried.

When I clean a semi-auto, the only parts that fall out of it are a barrel, spring and on the rare occasion, a bushing or guide rod. These are large parts... not something that gets lost in shag carpet.

And the real beauty of cleaning a semi-auto is that one single tube. The chamber gets scrubbed with the bore. And you don't spend a half hour trying to get gunk from that neverland where the forcing cone meets the frame and access is horribly difficult.

Scrubbing out six different cylinders must easily be my least favorite thing about cleaning any/all firearms.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

I generally prefer revolvers, but those newfangled automatics the young people like have their place.

It does feel odd shooting them sometimes, though.

Now, plastic guns...that's taking me awhile to warm to.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Quentin2

Love 'em both but have more semiautos myself. I prefer to carry a semi but have hung on to my Model 19 over 30 years and a Model 66 snubby about 15. They have their place and would be pretty hard to replace with any semi.
Old July 26, 2009, 12:06 PM   #7
bluetopper

Put those plastic fantastics on gunbroker and sell 'em and buy you some more revolving pistols!

Be polymer free........like me!
Old July 26, 2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Sevens

I've said it so many times that it should be in my sig line. But I, too, never thought I could EVER own a polymer. But as a carry gun that gets knocked around and was born nearly as ugly as a handgun can get, it's AWFULLY nice that I needn't worry about a scratch, ding or worn finish on my Glock carry gun.

I'd lie awake at night if one of my revolvers got some scratches and dings in it. With the Glock, character marks can only improve it. I'm damn sure certain that the light dremel work I've done to it made it look a little better and function MUCH better! I wouldn't even let a dremel on to the same level of my house as the rest of my firearms.
Old July 26, 2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Rigby1962

I have had numerous autos over the years but never really warmed up to any of them. I currently only own two autos and one is for sale. Not ever seeing myself in a position of needing more then six rounds revolvers are perfect.
Old July 26, 2009, 04:08 PM   #10
olyinaz

Back when I had an issue piece it was a plastic fantastic .40 and I would have it no other way (except perhaps a hi-cap .45 if I were king for a day).

For fun at the range I think you're mostly right on! I will caveat that and say that a nice all-metal auto (1911, Hi-Power, CZ, etc.) can be a wonderful gun that's hugely fun to shoot if it has a glorious trigger pull and is lovely to behold.

Get rid of the plastic and step up to the world of artful metal and woodcraft in firearms. Nothing beats a finely crafted piece - auto or revolver - that you can hold and appreciate and perhaps pass on some day.

Best,
Oly
Old July 26, 2009, 04:54 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

The only semi's I will own is a .22LR. Other than that give me a wheelgun. No more picking up/finding my brass and lucky for me I'll never, in civilian life, need to do a reload in the dark, in the rain, and while people are shooting at me.

LK
Old July 26, 2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Daryl

I'm with Killkenny on this one.

The only semi I have is a .22 LR (Colt Woodsman). All the others are revolvers.

I've had centerfire semi-autos in the past, and about a third of them gave me grief; the others were good guns.

Never owned a bad revolver.

Daryl
Old July 26, 2009, 05:55 PM   #13
Russ5924

Up to about a year ago all I ever owned was Revolvers DA and SA and a couple .22 autos. In the last year I have bought five autos and think they are great to shoot. But when I go to the range I still take one or two Revolvers. As far as cleaning I can clean two autos to one revolver anytime.And yes I turned 70 this year
Old July 26, 2009, 09:19 PM   #14
NWPilgrim

In a few years you'll swing back the other way.

I have both and love both. Cleaning six chambers and a bore is no fun compared to a barrel that slips out. On the other hand picking up brass from an auto is no fun compared to dumping six shells out of a cylinder.

I can't imagine not having either one.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 26, 2009, 10:22 PM   #15
SIGSHR

I have them both, in 22LR where reloading is not a consideration a 22 semiauto is fine. One thing I like about autos are 22 conversion units. But I am
also mainly a revolver man.
Old July 27, 2009, 06:05 AM   #16
CajunBass

Right now I've got more revolvers. I don't know how it happened, it just did. But I can't say I "like" one more than the other.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 27, 2009, 07:15 AM   #17
GringoGrande

I prefer a nice well built semi auto 1911 or 1911A1 to anything else out there.

I am selling the one and only plastic gun I have, a Glock 17 with 5 mags and accessories. I really do not like the plastic guns and the Glock confirmed it for me.

Other than the 1911, I also like my Sig 229 with all 4 calibers exchange out on the same pistol. The very best 1911 I have ever bought is the Para-Ord GI Expert, amazing .45 for the approx $500. I am selling my series 70 Gold Cup Cutom Colt Shop to buy two more Para's.

The only 2 revolvers I truly enjoyed was the early first year S&W 586, that is one smooth ride. The new ones feel like yoiu are grinding gears in a 41 Willys with a bad clutch.

One other revolver I like for the novelty of it is the Mil-Tec Thunder 5 - 5 shot .410 shotshell revolver. Very fun piece to have when doing sporting clays LOL

Gringo
Old July 27, 2009, 07:22 AM   #18
sourdough44

I have a little of most. When a guy(or gal) is looking for a handgun a wheelgun is a great place to start, & maybe stay.
Old July 27, 2009, 08:52 AM   #19
CraigC

They all have their place but for the most part, automatics are too limited for my purposes. If I remember right I have seven with nothing between .22LR and .45ACP. 1911's are my favorite centerfires but it took me a long time to get around to them. Going through S&W's and Glocks to get there. Revolvers, on the other hand, greatly outnumber the autos and get the nod far more often than not.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:09 AM   #20
Kreyzhorse

My collection is split evenly between revolvers and semi autos. At heart, I consider myself a revolver guy but admit that semi autos have their place too.

Revolvers just seem right to me. Their lines are classic, a perfect blend of form and function. Autos, with the exception of the 1911, seem mostly to value function first and form second.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:16 AM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

my problem is age & reloading... I have several semi's... but find I shoot the revolvers more, just to keep from having to pick up brass on the ground... always kinda did like revolvers better though, I shoot them better, & even though I have a CZ Compact in 9mm & a full sized 10mm in my carry battery, I never really feel "under gunned" when I have my 5 shot air lite L frame 44 special on my belt... I'm not unhappy about purchasing the semi's, but they stay in the safe way way more than they used to... plastic is a different story... I thought I was going to buy my 1st plastic gun, when I bought a 10mm a couple years ago... the Glock was what I had in mind, but I didn't like the grip, & I ended up buying a full sized "steel" Witness... but I did finally get my 1st plastic gun, an FN 5.7 ( also very likely my last semi auto, but not necessarily my last plastic gun, as a new Ruger LCR might find it's way to my house someday ??? )... I could see trading off a semi or two, but don't have but one revolver that I'd ever consider parting with ( & thats an old ROHM GUMBA target 22, that shoots better than what is worth, so I'll likely keep that as well... )
Old July 27, 2009, 10:38 AM   #22
ReNtaPiG

I love my revolver for many reasons...BUT I love my semi's for many OTHER reasons

I just love my guns (all guns for that matter) period.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:45 AM   #23
ZeSpectre

I really like revolvers but I have to agree completely with this statement.
Quote:
Scrubbing out six different cylinders must easily be my least favorite thing about cleaning any/all firearms.
I can usually clean 4 semi-auto pistols in the time it takes me to clean one revolver.

Still, I'll keep 'em all
Old July 27, 2009, 10:49 AM   #24
GotDogs

I love 'em all, yet I too am partial to revolvers. Of my 20+ handguns only 3 are auto's the rest are various revo's. There used to be a time when all I had were Sigs and Beretta's. The only auto's I have now are my Beretta 92F Inox, a Glock 19 Talo, a Sig P230SL. The rest are prelock S+W's and a North American Arms .22 Mag PUG with front nite sight as my EDC And heck, it's a fun little shooter.
John
Old July 27, 2009, 11:43 AM   #25
kle

As I just traded a CZ75B for a S&W 629-5, I'd have to say that I like revolvers more, too. With all of the guns I've ever owned, I've sold or traded autoloaders way way more than revolvers (I've only sold/traded two revolvers). Autos have never 'done it' for me like revolvers. Sure, they're a bit harder to clean, but I'm okay with that.

I still keep a couple autos around (for instance, the first gun I ever shot/bought is an auto), but my collection is dominated by revolvers (three quarters of my handguns are revolvers).