The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2014, 03:18 AM   #1
GeauxTigers

Stock finishing question/DiscoRacing still around?

Hey guys, been reading through the pages here looking for some inspiration for refinishing the stock on my Remington 700 Classic. This was the first long range deer rifle my dad bought me when I was 13 and a lot of deer have fallen to it over the years. It holds a lot of sentimental value to me and I figure I owe it to my favorite rifle to show it some TLC. I'm thinking that I'd like to bring it back to its original satin walnut finish, but it seems like the stock when I first bought it had a kind of light red oaky kind of thing going. Anyway, I was looking around on here and saw some pictures posted by DiscoRacing a few years ago of some rifles he did. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417099

To get to the point, I'm in love with the colors of the middle two rifles on this picture. He says, very generically, that he did these with oak and cherry, but didn't elaborate as to whether it was a TruOil stain or a furniture stain or the approximate number of coats, etc. Anybody have a clue what stain and finish he might have used or what I can use to get results like these? I'm mostly interested in the second from the bottom as it looks like mine did the day it came out of the box. Anyone have suggestions as to stains they've used which may mimick the original 700 Classic Stain? I know I could go to the hardware store and look at samples of the stain but to me a lot of them look the same under those department store fluorescents until you get them home and slap a coat on your dresser (or in this case beloved rifle) and realize its got a red hue or its not as honey colored as you thought it would be, or so on and so forth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 17, 2014, 09:16 AM   #2
guncrank

Take a sample to a paint store and have them mix up a sample stain
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public