The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Big Don

Split brass:is it the brass or the rifle?

I fired 8 rounds while testing my .223 rifle and when I collected the cases, I found each one was split about mid-case, vertically. The longest split is
5/8", the rest of the splits are smaller. The cases are all stamped "A-Merc" and "556". I do not know how long I've owned the ammo, it's been stored in a cool area and to my knowledge, has not been exposed to adverse weather or been water damaged, other than one excursion to the desert for a two-day camping trip. The bullets went down range just fine and the rifle cycled as it should.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Big Don; August 14, 2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: To subscribe to email notification
Old August 14, 2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

"A-Merc"

Say no more. Trash all remaining brass and/or live ammo and count your blessings. Seriously.

A search here or on almost any shooting board for "amerc" will be an eye-opener.
Old August 14, 2006, 05:56 PM   #3
firechicken

I picked up a pile of A-Merc 5.56 cases at the range one day. At least half of them were split down the side. I went ahead and picked them all up so nobody else would try to reload them, and they went into my "recycle" bucket. I agree with Mal H....don't fire even one more of those in your rifle!
Old August 14, 2006, 08:03 PM   #4
pumpkinheaver

American brass is BAD. I bought a box of .45acps to plink with, some of the case mouths looked like a hole saw, jagged teeth looking. Try something better in your rifle.
Old August 15, 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
El Paso Joe

Bad Stuff...

I had a real run of bad luck with this company's ammo in some 9mm's - stovepipes, fte's, and when I tried to reload, the rims were too thick for the shell holder. Throw the stuff away.
Old August 15, 2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

CHUNCK the JUNK, There are to many good companies making quality ammo for the .223 to put up with something that could hurt you.
Old August 17, 2006, 02:22 AM   #7
Big Don

Thank you for the feedback

Well, this forum did exactly what I wanted and that was to give me instant feedback for my question. Now I know why Miwall had the ammo on sale for such a low price at their Father's Day sale! Oh how I hate to waste ammo but I'd rather do that than waste a firearm. Many thanks to all of you for your responses and warnings. I'm passing them on to my shooting buddies so no one else gets caught with this junk.