The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Panzershreck

Found a Colt auto - opinions wanted

I have always wanted a colt pistol. I found a vintage one on gunbroker. It is auction no 277403358.

I don't want to get over my head. Is this a fair buy or should I keep looking. I shoot mostly modern firearms and am new to vintage ones. Thank you.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Master Blaster 2

Id say around $500 to $550 max is a good price if you win it. No one else has bid and you have over a day less. Hold off a while. Remember the 15 minute rule. Good luck.

Old March 17, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Panzershreck

Thanks for the help. how rare are these? The seller claims its pretty old which is cool. I noticed the seller has a bunch of other interesting firearms. I wish I knew more about vintage firearms oh well, I suppose I will learn in time.
Old March 17, 2012, 06:59 PM   #4
3kgt2nv

bidding without knowledge of the product you are buying is a bad idea. i would use google to get as much info before you put in a bid to make sure you know what you are getting into.
Old March 17, 2012, 08:01 PM   #5
gyvel

Personally, for a gun in that condition, I think even $450.00 is a little bit high.

One thing that particular seller is doing is using the buzz words "good condition for its age." Heck, the Colisseum in Rome is in good condition for its age, but it's still half gone.

I wish they would make it a rule to use NRA standards on these auction sites. (New, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor.) Telling me that something is in "good condition for its age" is telling me nothing.
Old March 17, 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
PetahW

IMHO, having owned a couple of these over the years, the seller has made his opening bid much too high.

Things being what they are today, and nostalgia fever running hot, that particular gun "might" bring $450 if two rabid bidders got into it - but in that poor of a condition, it's a $350-$400max gun.

It's most likely the gun was put up for auction after seeing Mike Venturino's article on them in Handloader Magazine last month - things like that tend to drive demand, sometimes, and is worth a shot , from an opportunistic seller's POV.

Old March 17, 2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Agreed; the price is too high. On a gun sales website here in SC there's one listed for $350 obo and it seems to be in better condition than the above.
Old March 17, 2012, 10:43 PM   #8
RKG

I did not take the time to review the Gunbroker item, but from the photo this appears to be a Colt Model M: either a 1903 .32 ACP "Pocket Hammerless" or a 1908 .380 ACP "Pocket Hammerless." There are four variants of this design, and there is a comprehensive Colt website that outlines the differences and their respective serial number ranges. From memory (I'm not home and don't have my reference stuff here), your serial number is too low to be a Type III (the most desireable) for a .32; can't remember the range of numbers for a .380.

I have a couple of these, and they are great pistols to shoot. However, a couple of caveats are in order:

1) These pistols can be magazine sensitive. Original Colt magazines (usually distinguishable because the upper inch or so of the magazine body is not blued; in the white) are best. Secondary source magazines -- if you can find one -- are sometimes problematic.

2) Parts for these pistols can be hard to find. At least one part -- the forward firing pin spring -- tend to lose its springyness over time, which can lead to a potentially hazardous situation. (If hammer is dropped on an empty chamber, front firing pin can become wedged into the firing pin hole in the breech face, leading to an out of battery discharge if the slide is later dropped on a chambered round.)

3) While field stripping these pistols is pretty straightforward, detailed disassembly and re-assembly is not that easy.

I offer no opinion on price.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Master Blaster 2

I have purchased over $40,000.00 worth of firearms from on-line sources in the last three years. In my area there are no gun stores with much stock unless you go to a rather big auction company in my area (On History Channel). Never liked live auctions plus it is on the other side of the river in commie Illinoise.
In the last few years I have noticed all gun prices really have gone up on old and new firearms. THE Inflation factor.

Bottom line.
If you want the gun, like it and have the money buy it. Life is short. I don't listen to the nay sayers.

My last purchase last week was a genuine Witney Wolverine with box. The gun is in wonderful shape and has 2 mags. Only $695 with shipping and $10 fee from my FFL. I never plan on shooting it. Just display in my gun room.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; March 18, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Master Blaster 2

If you go on GunBroker there is not a better one for that price. All are higher.Some much higher.
Least expensive however ,($345) now 4 days left with 14 bids
:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=277926993

Bet you a soda it goes for around $450. Check back.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; March 18, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old March 22, 2012, 10:05 PM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
If you go on GunBroker there is not a better one for that price. All are higher.Some much higher.
Least expensive however ,($345) now 4 days left with 14 bids
:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=277926993

Bet you a soda it goes for around $450. Check back.
Wow! It went for $510.00, but it was MUCH nicer than the OPs example.
Old March 24, 2012, 06:56 PM   #12
380acp

A colt hammer less is a damm fine thing.. There is one on my wishlist . I see them for around 550 to 650 in good shape.. But here in ohio we have a lot floating still so take it for with it is worth
Old March 25, 2012, 09:40 PM   #13
BConklin

there are quite a few of them floating around - in .32 ACP

The .380 ACP versions are more rare and fetch much higher prices.

I've got two in 32 - the first I paid too much for - but the second one I pretty much stole so I made out OK.

Original mags fetch $$$ - like $200 or more on GB sometimes. I bought my second 1903 for $215 with an original mag in it. The gun was pitted but usable, the mag was just fine

They're very nice guns and fun to shoot but the sights are wicked small for my 54 yr old eyes.