The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2007, 09:20 AM   #1
300wsmman

300wsm Load

I just bought a new Tika T-3 300wsm, and a box of bullets are almost $50, My dad reloads alot of bullets, but he has never reloaded anything bigger then a 7mm. My question is does anyone know what a good load for a 165gr. Nosler Accubond, and if nosler accubond are any good or should i go with something else. I want this load for deer and elk. Thanks for any information.
Old June 7, 2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Smokey Joe

.300 Wsm

300wsmman--Firstly, welcome to TFL! Good to have ya aboard.

I wonder what posessed you to buy a .300WSM? Me, I wanted something just a little stouter than my venerable .30-'06, and that is exactly what I got. The .300 WSM is a .30-'06 on steroids! I like mine very well.

Please permit me a small rant: I betcha it's a box of loaded cartridges that's almost $50. Bullets are like, the Accubonds you mention--just the projectile. A cartridge is the whole package: Bullet, powder, case, and primer.

For deer- and elk-sized critters I expect the 165 grain Accubonds are great. A little overkill for deer, mebbe, but there is no such thing as more dead than dead. The Accubond is a very good bullet--lots of damage and very good penetration. If you want one load for both animals it's probably a good choice.

I'm using 165 grain Ballistic Tips in my Savage .300 WSM, but for deer only; no elk around my house. Power them with quite a bit of H380--check yr manual for exactly how much, start at the minimum, and work up to an accurate load. The Nosler manual reccommends the same load for all their bullets; H380 was the "most accurate powder tested" and their minimum was the "most accurate load tested"--in their test rifle, of course. YRMV (Your Results May Vary)

You'll be needing magnum large rifle primers to light up all that powder in that fat case.

Ballistic Tips work very well for me; use 'em in several rifles. Have not used Accubonds on game but have been keeping up on the reporting on 'em. I shoot 200 grain Accubonds in my 8mm Mauser but have not shot at anything live with it; intend to use it on feral hogs.

My .300 WSM load for Nosler 165 grain bullets, chronos at a hair below 3000 fps, and holds at < 2" at 200yd. I splurged and bought Norma cases--spendy but boy are they well-made, and uniform, and with the high magnum pressures we're dealing with here, they give me a feeling of security as well as accuracy.

Hope this helps. Good fortune to you & yr Dad loading yr cartridges, and enjoy yr Tikka .300 WSM!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; June 7, 2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old June 8, 2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Paul B.

Currently I am in the process of working up a load for my ex-son-in-law's Winchester M70 Featherweight in .300 WSM. His choice of bullets were the 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips and Accubonds. He picked on IMR-4831 for powder. We determined that 66.0 gr. of IMR-4831 was the max load for his gun. . The next serie tghat we will run next Monday, weather permitting will start at 65.5 gr. and go up one-thent of a grain to 66.0 gr. to determine which charge is the more accurate. After that, we may tinker a bit with the seating depth to see whether or not we can tighten up groups a bit more.
Paul B.
Old June 16, 2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Mausermolt

i bought a 300 wsm bout 3 years ago in a winchester model 700 stainless steel with a camo stalk and a 3X9 leupold VX-II...needless to say it is a mean machine. i use in a 180 grn nosler,accubond,balistic tip,partition , to shoot oh just about anything from prairie dogs to elk. i killed 1 nice 5X6 bull 2 years ago with it ,3 bucks(muleys), 3 ferel hogs. the load i use is 65.5 grns of imr4831,winchester brass, cci 250 primer, its doin about 3001fps, and whatever 180 grn bullet you want to stick in it. but i say the 180grn bullet is the best overall bullet for all game because all 3 deer ive shot with it didnt take a step, the bull elk, well it took 2 shots but after the second one he didnt go far....lol bout a total of 10 steps. well hope that helped ya!
Best of luck,
Mausermolt