The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 11:20 AM   #51
Ruger45LC

It doesn't suck. Everyone has their reasons why they like it or hate it, but it's a good cartridge and very efficient.

I cut my teeth on the .40 and I've always like it. Do I feel it offers more than the 9mm or .45? Well not in factory configuration. A lot don't like the recoil of the .40, but putting it in perspective, its recoil isn't an issue. Maybe it's because I'm used to shooting big bore revolvers, but I've never had an issue with .40 recoil.

People post charts of how the 9mm, .40, .45 all perform about the same, and they sure can, but it's because premium JHP ammo is designed to meet certain perimeters. In other words, they're designed to perform similarly. It's no wonder the 9mm guys say there is very little difference. Overall, the .40 has a lot more potential than the 9mm.

It's not a magical bullet, but put a .40 bullet where it needs to and it'll be very effective. Miss and there are no guarantees.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:27 AM   #52
vector91

I am not gonna go outright and say that .40s suck but in my personal opinion I would take a .45 over a .40 anyday. Again I think that it is all a matter of personal preference same as everything else.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 11:41 AM   #53
TunnelRat

Quote:
Overall, the .40 has a lot more potential than the 9mm.
In what way?
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 13, 2013, 11:43 AM   #54
vector91

I agree with Tunnelrat in what way does the .40 have more potential than the 9mm
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #55
tipoc

Quote:
I agree with Tunnelrat in what way does the .40 have more potential than the 9mm
The same way the 10mm has more "potential" than the 40S&W.

A heavier bullet, faster, slightly bigger hole, more energy. By the standard objective measurements the 40 has has an edge over the 9mm.

This edge is only realizable if a shooter can shoot the 40S&W as well as the 9mm. If the shooter can't then the power increase of the 40 S&W makes little useful difference.

tipoc
Old February 13, 2013, 01:20 PM   #56
TunnelRat

Quote:
A heavier bullet, faster, slightly bigger hole, more energy.
Assuming the 40SW is going faster than the 9mm, which it usually isn't. It is heavier and bigger though.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:29 PM   #57
BigJimP

To the OP ....don't forget you can get platforms like the 1911....in calibers other than .45 acp .....( 9mm is very common ) ...but many companies will make 1911's in .40S&W, .38 super, 10mm, etc....
Old February 13, 2013, 01:32 PM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

The differences in handgun loads such as the aforementioned are so minimal, that it's not even worth the debate.

Give me my AR-15 launching a bullet at a screaming 3,000fps.

Handguns are for conceal-ability and convenient packing of a weapon due to it's size. It's a sidearm, a secondary. Not a primary. If it's all you have (CCW) then it is your primary. I wouldn't bet my top dollar that it'll get the job done better than a rifle.

Again, the following mentioned handgun cartridges are very minimal in difference in terms of incapaciation. Shot placement is king, even more so among common handgun rounds.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:35 PM   #59
BarryLee

So, in full disclosure my carry weapons are SIG 229 and GLOCK 26 both in 9mm, but my home defense gun is a H&K USP40, so I like both calibers.

I realize there are a lot of variables and also believe the difference in most situations is minimal. However, assuming that the cartridge design is identical, the handgun is identical, they are being used by the same shooter and the overall scenario is the same wouldn’t the .40S&W be a better option?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2013, 01:38 PM   #60
TunnelRat

Quote:
However, assuming that the cartridge design is identical, the handgun is identical, they are being used by the same shooter and the overall scenario is the same wouldn’t the .40S&W be a better option?
Why?
Old February 13, 2013, 01:39 PM   #61
BarryLee

Quote:
Why?
Larger bullet?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2013, 01:40 PM   #62
TunnelRat

Quote:
Larger bullet?
If the size of the bullet is the only factor, shouldn't we all be carrying 45 ACP? Heck, for that matter 500 S&W.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:45 PM   #63
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
However, assuming that the cartridge design is identical, the handgun is identical, they are being used by the same shooter and the overall scenario is the same wouldn’t the .40S&W be a better option?
No 9 times out of 10 (from what I've seen with others, sit back down!) you will shoot one better than the other.

One has muzzle flip and keeps rising. One doesn't have it as dramatic as the other.

9mm is easier to shoot.

Unless every self defense scenario you have in your mind will be an assailant standing still and you sitting down and shooting from a bench rest.

Then the 9mm is a wiser decision.

Unless...you want to spend all the time and money in something that will take you longer to get accustomed to as opposed to something that won't take you as long to get accustomed to.

YMMV
Old February 13, 2013, 01:46 PM   #64
vector91

Ok so it has a larger bullet but statistics wise does that always make it better?
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 01:47 PM   #65
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Ok so it has a larger bullet but statistics wise does that always make it better?

No.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:49 PM   #66
BarryLee

Quote:
If the size of the bullet is the only factor, shouldn't we all be carrying 45 ACP? Heck, for that matter 500 S&W.
Well, I realize there are a lot of variables and I prefer 9mm for greater capacity. However, if everything else was equal it seems like the .40S&W would be preferred over a smaller cartridge, but maybe not.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2013, 02:01 PM   #67
TunnelRat

Quote:
if everything else was equal
But it just isn't. That's like saying a solar powered car would be better than a gas powered car assuming the sky were always clear and you actually live in Seattle.

Velocities are different and recoil is different. The velocity helps make up the difference in size and the less recoil makes it easier for the average shooter to connect with the target on follow up shots. As has been repeated over and over again, shot placement is king. If you don't hit a vital area that puts the attacker out of the fight what good is it? Now does that mean the 40SW is useless? Far from it as there are people that shoot it well. But as my local gunsmith tells people about caliber, "a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a 45".
Old February 13, 2013, 02:35 PM   #68
vector91

I couldn't agree more it all depends on what each person is comfortable with and can shoot accurately whether it be 9mm .40 10mm or .45 whatever caliber you can shoot effectively is the best caliber for you
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 02:45 PM   #69
cdbeagle

To each his own. I'v seen as much bias for and against calibers on forums than I'd probably see at a KKK rally. I don't care what caliber another person shoots. I say pick what you like and shoot it. When I bought my first handgun six years ago I went against my brother-in-law's advice and bought a nine instead of a forty. I did it for purely economical reasons. I wanted to be able to shoot as accurately as possible which to me meant shooting frequently. I could not afford to do that with a .40 but I could with a 9MM. If money was no object I would shoot .40 or .45 ACP also. I now own seven handguns and the one I enjoy shooting the most is my only rimfire - a Buck Mark Camper.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:12 PM   #70
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
The differences in handgun loads such as the aforementioned are so minimal, that it's not even worth the debate.
Give me my AR-15 launching a bullet at a screaming 3,000fps.
Handguns are for conceal-ability and convenient packing of a weapon due to it's size. It's a sidearm, a secondary. Not a primary. If it's all you have (CCW) then it is your primary. I wouldn't bet my top dollar that it'll get the job done better than a rifle.
Again, the following mentioned handgun cartridges are very minimal in difference in terms of incapaciation. Shot placement is king, even more so among common handgun rounds.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

IMNSHO, there's not much else to add or take away. Find the platform that works best for you first. I believe this is far more important than worrying about the effectiveness of the .40SW cartridge. Any of the major cartridges are going to have very close ballistics. Pick which one you think you're most proficient shooting well. The rest is moot.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 13, 2013, 04:09 PM   #71
Tactical Jackalope

Original post deleted.

Thank you Shane. I thought no one was reading my posts.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; February 13, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #72
tipoc

From Tunnel Rat,

Quote:
Assuming the 40SW is going faster than the 9mm, which it usually isn't. It is heavier and bigger though.
So bigger, usually faster and heavier so you are saying that the 40 S&W can provide an edge over the 9mm in capable hands?

tipoc
Old February 13, 2013, 05:53 PM   #73
vector91

Constantine wins just pull out the AR-15. Best idea I have heard
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 06:03 PM   #74
vector91

Couldn't have said it better dude .45 is the best caliber out there hands down in my opinion
- George Washington
Old February 13, 2013, 06:16 PM   #75
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Nearly all of my guns are 45s
Same here out of my 15.

.45 is my favorite. I have no problem feeling just as good with 9mm though.