The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 12, 2013, 01:15 AM   #1
brokenanew

Clip for BDL Remmy 700?

Ok so Ive been going old school and just feeding the rounds through the chamber. The stock has a trap door but I cant insert the rounds that way. My question is, will a clip like this work? Or do I need some other product to make this clip work?

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...ion%20Magazine
Old February 12, 2013, 01:17 AM   #2
emcon5

It is a magazine, and no.

There are factory 700s with a detachable magazine, which that fits.

There are conversions out there, but be prepared to open you wallet, and quite possibly squeal like a pig.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:24 AM   #3
Scorch

You don't insert the cartridges through the floorplate, you insert them through the top of the action into the magazine with the bolt open. Push each cartridge into the magazine until it clicks into place.

If you want to change your rifle over to use a detachable magazine, there are several options. The cheapest is the Remington detachable magazine, not the best magazine, but the simplest to install. Then there is QuikClip, about the same as far as difficulty of installation. Accuracy International, Surgeon, and several others make a detachable magazine for the Rem 700, but they run about $300 for the kit. With all of these, you have to replace the factory trigger guard and replace it with the appropriate trigger guard/bottom metal assembly.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:45 AM   #4
steveNChunter

If you want a detachable mag buy a new 783. Wouldnt cost much more than a good kit and you have a whole new gun

http://www.remington.com/en/products...model-783.aspx
Old February 12, 2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Carlsbad

It is easy to convert to a DM (detachable magazine) but requires some cabinet work to make it neat.

The magazine yo posted requires the matching trigger guard (called a DM floor plate/trigger guard). To install the floor plate, you may have to dremmel out the cutout in your stock just a little.

Then you'll see that you need a cutout in your stock for the magazines--about 1/4" by 1 1/4" on both sides. Easy to do if you aren't worried about looks but more challenging to make look professional. Depending on your stock and your level of talent and cabinetwork experience, you may want to get that done.

If you do it yourself it is about $100 in parts.

--Jerry
Old February 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #6
brokenanew

Good info. Thanks guys!
Old February 12, 2013, 07:51 PM   #7
math teacher

My friend and I have used the Quik Klip conversion for years on our 700 BDLs. Installation required no modifications and worked great with both the original stocks and the McMillian stocks they now wear. They are the least expensive. Cabelas sells them. I don't know however if they make a short action version. Be sure to get extra clips.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
steveNChunter

All this calling a magazine a clip is making me a little nauseous
Old February 12, 2013, 10:42 PM   #9
reynolds357

Me too. A clip loads a magazine.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Regolith

Quote:
If you want a detachable mag buy a new 783. Wouldnt cost much more than a good kit and you have a whole new gun
That's like buying a Toyota Scion because your BMW 3 Series doesn't have a spoiler.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:07 AM   #11
steveNChunter

Regolith- I would agree with you if I was impressed with most of the newer model 700's I've seen. But I'm not. Alot of the ones I've seen are not grouping that well without a little work being done (usually bedding). The 783 is so new that its yet to really be proven/disproven. Ive read a couple reviews that got some sub-MOA groups with the 783, but I dont know how much they were getting paid to do the review. Personally I think I would rather buy a 783 than a 700 "tupperware edition" SPS. At least the 783 is pillar bedded. But honestly, I dont see myself buying a NEW Remington anything in the near future.

To the OP, ignore my 783 idea. Look for a used 788. Much better way to get a Remington with a detachable MAGAZINE.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:31 PM   #12
Bart B.

Remington's not the only folks that has accuracy issues with detachable magazine fed centerfire rifles. The US government's converting the M14 to an M14NM (National Match) version had them as well as its civilian counterpart, the M1A. These rifles' magazines do not all fit their housing exactly the same. Each magazine requires a different zero on the sights 'cause they cause different direcdtions of muzzle axis whip while the bullet's going down the barrel. Darned things change zero in rifles built and fit with all the right stuff to make them shoot near 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. Military teams using them typically used one magazine for slow fire matches where each round was single loaded. A matched pair of magazines were used for 10-shot rapid fire matches; 2 rounds in the first one and 8 in the second one. Both magazines "shot" to the same point of aim with the same zero on the sights.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:48 PM   #13
reynolds357

I guess that is one of many reasons that most match actions are not even cut for a box magazine.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:07 PM   #14
math teacher

Those of you who object to calling a detachable magazine a clip, as it is called in common usage, are correct. Now would you like me to nitpick all the terrible grammar used here. There is no such word as "alot." It is "a lot." I will let it ride and not correct you if you get off your high horse.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
steveNChunter

I usually don't say anything about the misuse of the word "clip" when it is only said once.

But when it happens ALOT, I can't help but say something.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:26 PM   #16
reynolds357

I quit using the queens English as soon as I received my college diploma. I am not an English language lover, but I am a gun lover. A clip is not a magazine.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Bart B.

Reynolds, a lot of "match" actions have a cutout for a box magazines; Win. 70, Rem 40X, M1903, and others. Some have a clip guide put on (or milled into) the receiver bridge so 5-round stripper clips can be used to reload in rapid fire matches. The Win. 70 sporter box magazine actions have shot groups just as good as those custom ones without the magazine cutout. But Winchester made a couple dozen magnum length ones without the magazine cutout (totally solid bottom except for the ejector slot) for the US Army Rifle Teams in the 1950's and were chambered for the .300 H&H Magnum.

In the beginning, when it all got started, magazines had a spring to push rounds up to their loading position at their top. Clips never had a spring to push rounds out of the to a load position. Paul Mauser's clip design used a flat spring to press the rounds against the inner ridge so they wouldn't fall out in handling. Springfield Armory got rights from Mauser to use the same design for the M1903's.