The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 5, 2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Bob Wright

I met a Glock shooter today.....

I was having coffee with my friend this morning at our neighborhood coffee shop, when a man came in that I'd never met before.

He was maybe fifty, fifty-five, balding, and rather nicely dressed. I was a little surprised to find he shot a Glock (Model 19, he told me) as he was dressed in neither camouflage nor ninja black. Also told me he was a hunter, though not a real enthusiast. A real nice man!

Bob Wright
Old October 5, 2012, 01:46 PM   #2
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
I was a little surprised to find he shot a Glock (Model 19, he told me) as he was dressed in neither camouflage nor ninja black. Also told me he was a hunter, though not a real enthusiast. A real nice man!
What surprised you Bob, that you don't need camo or black when hunting and shooting Glock 19s? Bata Bing!

Did you ask him if he had tags, and what the daily limit is? Rimshot.

And is there a caliber restriction when hunting G19s, to ensure a humane kill? Or would that be 9mm auto fed directly into the G19s magazine and just wait for the inevitable lemming instincts to kick in? Ka Boom!

As a non hunting enthusiast, I am taking that to mean that he was a meat hunter (we all know that there is plenty of meat on the slide of a G19), and obviously not a trophy hunter. And another rimshot!

And if he waits for a few more seasons, perhaps he will find a G26 that has matured and become a G19 and is now legal. (Now how a 26 grows up and becomes a 19 defies the laws of...) Bata Boom!

Seriously Bob, thank you for the opportunity to just have a little fun this morning and I am glad that you meet another positive member of our community!

(All comments made are solely the opinions of the author and were made tongue in cheek/for entertainment purposes only. Do not try this at home. Please check your local, state, and federal laws before attempting anything like this in public; Glock hunting may be prohibited in your locale. Remember: ignorance of the law is no excuse.)

Now, go figure...
Old October 5, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

Quote:
What surprised you Bob, that you don't need camo or black when hunting and shooting Glock 19s? Bata Bing!
I thnk he may have been expecting someone like this:

Old October 5, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Amsdorf

Cool story bro.
Old October 6, 2012, 01:04 AM   #5
RBid

A Glock guy without camo or ninja black?

Yeah.

Let me tell you about my date with Kate Beckinsale. It all started when she begged for my phone number...

Just kidding, of course. In all honesty, I have yet to meet any Glock Operators. I've obviously met lots of Glock owners, but none who also carry throwing stars or suppressed H&K MP7s.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:56 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

O_O I think almost everyone new to carrying here in Miami carries a Glock...either a 19, 23, 26, 27, 30, or 36.

Not a shock over here.

I carried my Glock 19 today also.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Jeff #111

A couple days ago I was carrying my Glock 19 (concealed). I wore a white sweatshirt, tan trousers and grey cowboy boots. However my hat was black so I was okay.
Old October 6, 2012, 05:41 AM   #8
thedudeabides

How about a Tapout shirt?

...meh. One of my favorite guns is the G20.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Hammerhead

Weak flame bait.

Last edited by Hammerhead; October 6, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
shortwave

Quote:
I was a little surprised to find he shot a Glock (Model 19, he told me) as he was dressed in neither camouflage nor ninja black. Also told me he was a hunter, though not a real enthusiast. A real nice man!
Maybe a good, self taught lesson in people/gun profiling and proves we're never to old to learn.

Flip side:
Come here to Ohio and I can show you a few 'real nice people' (older and younger) that often wear camo and tapout shirts that carry 1911's. Some hunt, some don't.

I think it was Mike Irwin that made the very wise comment here on TFL in another thread(maybe a zombie thread)...
...the comment was, "sometimes we are our own worse enemies".

Glad you got out and learned that you shouldn't judge a person by what they carry.

P.S. FWIW. Not partial to or defending Glocks. I only own one and the only reason for owning it is it was a great $200 deal on an LE trade-in. Just trying to say we shouldn't be so quick to judge a fellow shooter. Just enjoy the company.

Last edited by shortwave; October 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:45 AM   #11
mrt949

Like someone at the range would make a coment .what's in the range bag ? I replied a REVOLVER . Later in the day we compared targets . I asked if he was using a shotgun ? No he said it was a glock .

Last edited by mrt949; October 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:48 AM   #12
Amsdorf

The other day I put on my IWB holster and put my Glock 26 in it and carried it all day and didn't have to shoot anyone. Then I went home.

The end.

Old October 6, 2012, 10:06 AM   #13
TheNocturnus

I carry a G19 everyday. I also carry tactical car keys, suppressed cell phone and a wicked, serrated edged folding pocket knife of doom.

I have a belt on so that I can front flip over my attacker and choke him out with it as well.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old October 6, 2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Amsdorf

My hands are registered lethal weapons. I can reach in and tear a man's beating heart out of his chest and show it to him while he gasps out his last breath.

Plus, I'm prepared to treat paper cuts in the field.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:42 PM   #15
RBid

Pfffft. You're not tactical, bro.

My EDC includes a blowout kit. The blowout kit includes a USAF Pararesueman. The PJ carries a suppressed Glock 18... on his ankle.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:57 PM   #16
ritepath

There are lots of us "non-tactical" types out there. I'm a hunter, I also carry concealed (but not a glock) I own AR's and several types of SD pistols but I don't fancy myself a mall ninja, operator, or Mr. Tactical. Just your run of the mill 4x YO with a family and a job.

There are plenty of people out there that appreciate a fine quality firearm that's rugged and reliable without the persona of nutton fancy.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Alright....I played along but I still don't get the joke lol..I'd be grateful if someone would explain? Please?

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old October 6, 2012, 10:45 PM   #18
JC57

So Bob, where's that coffee shop?
Old October 6, 2012, 10:56 PM   #19
RBid

Random silliness is occasionally necessary. I have enjoyed this thread.

Ritepath,
I suspect that the majority of us fall into the category of 'regular guy with an appreciation for firearms'. You are not alone, brother.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:19 PM   #20
stormyone

Cool story, bro.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:24 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

Today, I met a Glock shooter, named Joe, at the gun range. He was in his late fifties, early sixties. He was wearing jeans, glasses and a work shirt. Just a good old boy, I guess you'd say. We shot some, talked some and then went on our separate ways. Nice guy.

He was shooting a .40S&W Glock, for which he reloads. He shot pretty well, it was his first time trying to use an NRA-D1 target and the lack of a defined aiming point caused him some troubles.

He was decidely unninja-like and I forgot to ask him if he ever hunts
Old October 6, 2012, 11:29 PM   #22
22-rimfire

I once asked an instructor why he used a Glock 19. I said that the 40 S&W was a little more potent. His response was that a perp would see little difference when hit with a double tap 9mm versus my 40 S&W M23 Glock.

Glocks really aren't bad guns. They function very well and are easy to take apart if you need to.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Old October 7, 2012, 01:11 AM   #23
warningshot

you guys have this all wrong

The dude was already in Camouflage.

This is a coffee shop correct? So, whom would suspect this well-dressed dude donut diner was packing a heater, I mean Glock? That's right. No one. The well-dressed was his camouflage.

It's Sunday morning, oh-8- hundred, billybobs gut buster donut wheel waiting line. Who is packing heat? The dude in the Packers jersey or the guy in a, Run and You Will Only Die Tired, camo shirt? Well, gee...I don't know...
Old October 7, 2012, 01:31 AM   #24
stickhauler

Quote:
Flip side:
Come here to Ohio and I can show you a few 'real nice people' (older and younger) that often wear camo and tapout shirts that carry 1911's. Some hunt, some don't.
If your info is correct, you live in SE Ohio? Hell, I grew up down there, and I'm pretty sure there have been brides from down that way wearing camo wedding gowns! Totally unarmed, and didn't hunt. But they knew how to clean and cook game animals.

I haven't had a niece show up yet for her wedding in camo, but I'm sure it's gonna happen eventually. Likely arriving for the service on a muddy ATV.

But the only folks down that way I see carrying Glocks are the cops. My kin are more the 1911 crowd. No Tapout shirts yet. Some Underarmor though, and they never played sports.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:43 AM   #25
p loader

Nothing wrong with Glocks.

Another question: what's worse, a guy in TapOut gear or someone walking around in head to toe 5.11 tactical gear (with American flag hat)?
Closed Thread