The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Utahar15

Found Ammo

Questions.

A buddy of mine moved into a house and in the basement he found an ammo can full of 30.06 rounds. We are pretty sure they are reloads all mixed head stamps.

We have no desire of shooting the ammo but was thinking maybe would could used the bullets and maybe some of the brass., but since they are all primed not sure if I want to mess with depriming live primers that I have no idea about.

So assuming we just keep the bullets whats the best way to dispose of the primmed brass?

Robb
Old April 18, 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Doyle

If you wanted to reload it yourself, pull the bullets, dump the power (make fine fertilizer), and fire the primers in your rifle.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Sport45

I'd pull the bullets, dump the powder (not convinced about its use as fertilizer), then neck size and reuse the bullets and primed brass with a starting load of my powder of choice.

Oh yeah, I'd also run all the primed and neck-sized cases through my case gauge to make sure they weren't too long or short.
Old April 19, 2011, 12:07 AM   #4
Edward429451

Not convinced about its use as a fertilizer...

I had a rose bush that was doin really bad. A friends grandpa died, and I wound up with his old powder, about 18 LBS. Some was bad with the reddish tint and bad smell so I dumped about 4 pounds of powder all around that rose bush and set the sprinkler to water it in real good. Where last year I had about 10 red flowers on it, this year I had about 40 and not only were there red blooms, but now there were pink blooms also. Myth Confirmed that plants love nitrogen..
Old April 19, 2011, 01:13 AM   #5
Sport45

Plants loving nitrogen isn't a myth. I just wasn't sure about the solubility of the nitrogen found in modern propellants.

If 4 pounds of the stuff didn't burn a rose bush I'm pretty sure it's not very soluble. 4 pounds of a real fertilizer probably would have killed the plant and burnt several feet of vegetation around it.
Old April 19, 2011, 01:31 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Smokeless powder is a Haz-Mat item. Using it as fertilizer is not an approved disposal method (controlled burns are the prescribed disposal method). I won't tell you not to do it, but don't get caught. ...And several MSDSs I have looked at, referenced toxicity for fish (should it get into ponds/streams/rivers).

Quote:
So assuming we just keep the bullets whats the best way to dispose of the primmed brass?
So long as you are willing to take a few safety precautions, decapping live primers isn't a major issue. I would recommend some good safety goggles, long sleeved shirt (at a minimum), gloves, and hearing protection. However... I've never had a live primer detonate, while being decapped. I had one go off during seating, but that was a rimfire (and a whole different issue).

If you still don't feel like doing it, I'll dispose of that brass for you.
I think we even live within about 25 miles of each other. If you're hesitant to deal with the live primers, send me PM. We can see about working something out.
Old April 21, 2011, 01:10 AM   #7
limitdown

I would definitely also de-prime, since you don't know whether the primers used were any good.
With rifle rounds, i would be a bit more cautious because we're dealing with so much more power.

Primers are very easy to buy now compared to 1yr ago so that's not an easy anymore
Old April 21, 2011, 04:42 AM   #8
rude robert

I like to make designs with the old powder and light it. Make animals or their names and it fun watching their faces as it spells out their names lol