The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2013, 04:47 AM   #1
BDD8

What's the latest on the Bren Ten revival?

Does any one know if Vltor will be bringing us the Bren Ten 10mm? Or have the scrapped the idea? They haven't updated their website.

http://vltor.wordpress.com/

Be a shame to see the Bren Ten fade into history.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:41 AM   #2
BigDog

I emailed them a few weeks ago and they assured me that the project is still moving forward. No estimate on when they might go into production.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Vaporware.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:31 PM   #4
RickB

Someone on the Bren Ten forum cornered a guy in the Vltor booth at SHOT, and got a very definite "never".
They clearly did A LOT of work (and spent a lot of money) on the project, so maybe someone else would be willing to "buy the franchise", and put the gun into production?
One problem is that Vltor was not going to reproduce the Bren, they were going to reengineer it, so it would not have been a source of spares for originals. Some question the necessity of that, and maybe that contributed to the problem?
Old February 7, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5
BDD8

That's a shame. If true. I was hoping they would reproduce the Bren Ten to original specs but with better metal and smithing work. I guess we'll just have to hope we find one in some hardware shop in Texas (yes they do sell guns in some hardware stores in TX). Or on Gunbroker. Which would be as easy to find as a mint condition Colt Python or Anaconda.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
RickB

Considering how few Bren Tens there are, they show up for sale frequently. While waiting on Vltor, I bid on two or three on gunbroker, and handled one at a local gun store. There's a 10 and a .45 on gunbroker, now.
Old February 7, 2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Sharpsdressed Man

Just buy a S&W 1006 off the used gun shelf and forget about the Bren Ten. Parts, mags, and a great reputation are already there for the S&W. Everything is iffy for the Bren.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:59 PM   #8
lee n. field

I fail to see the attraction. If you want a 10mm, there are available options. If you want a CZ pattern 10, there are even options.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 7, 2013, 08:31 PM   #9
BDD8

I think the attraction lies in the fact that it was one of the first 10mm along with the Colt Delta Elite. And I do like the look of it admittedly. Though, i heard the Bren Ten (and the Colt 10mm) will put a beating on you. So who knows. If I get one via Gunbroker great...if not....

Other great 10mm I'm considering include..Kimber Custom II Stainless, Kimber Eclipse Custom, Glock 20/29, Dan Wesson RZ10/Titan, Nighthawk GRP...etc.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:11 PM   #10
shootniron

It won't happen as there is very little market share for the 10mm and none for the Bren.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:23 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

There never really was; the whole thing was mostly gunzine hype to begin with. Jeff Cooper, whose idea it was, promoted it as the greatest thing since sliced bread and sex but later had to admit that it was not a good idea. As others have said, it was a gun for the "firearms cognoscenti" ("gun nuts" to you) and remained unknown to the general gun buying public.

I knew it would go nowhere, but was not bright enough at the time to buy one and make some money on it today. Oh well, I did get a Rogak.

Jim
Old February 7, 2013, 09:23 PM   #12
BDD8

Odd Vltor would start R&D and then stop. Run out of financial backing? Other manufactures have put out their 10mm pistols and ammo. I figure as long as name companies like Kimber, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Glock feel it's a worthy round there's hope for 10mm fans.

The 10mm round seems to be one of the more unpopular rounds that refuses to die. It's been around since the 80's.

any how...
Old February 8, 2013, 04:02 PM   #13
RickB

Obviously, there's enough of a market for a 10mm CZ-oid pistol that Tanfoglio chambers their large-frame Witness models in 10. Of course, a Witness costs about half what the Vltor Bren Ten was going to cost, and the difference is lost on most people.
CZ makes a large-frame version of the CZ-75, and I asked one of their reps if there was a chance that they'd have a 10, and he made it sound like there wasn't much enthusiasm for their .45, so they'd be concentrating on 9mm.
I got to handle a Witness called the "Stock II", and while it was a .38 Super, it's built on the same, large frame as the their 10mms, and a Stock II in 10mm just might make people forget about the Bren. It fits the hand well, is well put-together, and costs a lot less than the $1200 Vltor was promising.
Old February 8, 2013, 05:11 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
I fail to see the attraction.
I should maybe rephrase.

I do see the attraction of a working replica of a historical piece. And I know why some might go after such. I just don't see the attraction of buying a working replica of a fairly recent gun that wasn't all that significant when introduced, and was a failure in the market.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 8, 2013, 06:11 PM   #15
SIGSHR

IMHO it's like the attempts to revive the Merwin and Hulbert or the 44 AutoMag. They are firearms that attract a lot of oohs and ahs and envious looks, but if there was a real demand for them someone with access to capital
and manufacturing facilities would have met it.