The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 2, 2012, 07:21 AM   #26
fext

For a home defense gun I'd prefer a second hand DA revolver.
You don't have to remember in which condition you left it when you run to grab it from a nightstand in an emergency, handling is intuitive and easy, and as a bonus, the springs are not sprung in a loaded and ready condition so the gun can just lay around for a long period of time and you don't have to care it the mag spring is not already worn out.
Plus it's more likely that one .357 round will stop a man than any typical self loading pistol round.

Last edited by fext; June 2, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old June 2, 2012, 09:36 AM   #27
Martowski

Ummmm... how about a brand new Sig? The SP2022 is an outstanding firearm and can be found for around $350. I bought mine a year ago for around $340 including night sights. I'm surprised no one has made this suggestion so far. This pistol is, in my mind, the absolute best value in handguns out there today.

See more about this on my blog post below:

http://martowski.wordpress.com/2012/...stols-my-pick/
Old June 2, 2012, 09:49 AM   #28
Doug S

If reliability is a concern, then I don't think your friend can do better than a used Glock in that price range.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old June 2, 2012, 10:08 AM   #29
sigarms228

Quote:
Ummmm... how about a brand new Sig? The SP2022 is an outstanding firearm and can be found for around $350. I bought mine a year ago for around $340 including night sights. I'm surprised no one has made this suggestion so far. This pistol is, in my mind, the absolute best value in handguns out there today.

See more about this on my blog post below:

http://martowski.wordpress.com/2012/...stols-my-pick/
YEP! A NEW SIG for under $400 - how cool is that?

Palmetto State Armory had free shipping on them also last week but is out right now. IMO nothing else even comes close in this price range.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...2-pro-9mm.html
Old June 2, 2012, 10:16 AM   #30
PetahW

AND, if he's lookin' for an opinion, on what his next inexpensive squeeze should be, I recommend a Redheaded Cougar, since they're Soooooo appreciative ..........................

Old June 2, 2012, 11:50 AM   #31
power5

Show me a Siglite 2022 9mm for $350 and I will buy 10. Unfortunately this is not last year and you have to be very lucky to find them for under $400 with contrast sights. This will be my next gun purchase so I have been looking in every place I can.

I would go with the 5903 over the 5906 to save a few ounces for carry.
Old June 2, 2012, 01:52 PM   #32
Martowski

You better get your checkbook out. Here's a sample of some that have gone this year on Gunbroker for less than $350; many of them in the $320 range and many just a week or two ago. And yes, many of them do have night sights. I can keep posting more links if you'd like. Yeah, there's some shipping involved, but if you get the gun for around $320 - $330 and shipping is $35, then you're doing pretty well. And yes, you will likely have a $20 FFL transfer fee on your end. But that's less than what you'd pay on tax if you just walked into a local store and bought one for $350.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=278423431
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=279760899
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=285283556
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=285283555
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=285283560
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=285283557

Again, if you don't like the thought of having to place a bid on something, then call CDNN investments and buy one of theirs for $369.

Fact is, you CAN find these for around $350 with night sights... and without much strain.

Last edited by Martowski; June 2, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:24 PM   #33
power5

Wow, thank you very much. I always thought gunbroker was just used guns. Not getting my checkbook out but definitely getting one of those on the 15th.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:32 PM   #34
batguano

I'm carrying a Kel;Tec P11 for my CC. It gets the job done and is fairly inexpensive for a 9MM.
Old June 2, 2012, 06:49 PM   #35
cuba

This supplier has the RIA 1911 matte Nickle - Plated finish 38 super for $299.00 with free shipping, if your in the market right now to buy thats the one to get, and you can't do better then a 1911.
http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-38SUP-MATTENIC.aspx

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old June 2, 2012, 08:37 PM   #36
lee n. field

Quote:
My brother is looking to get a pistol for CCW/ home defense. He's on a budget and dosnt want to pay more than $350 for a pistol, any suggestions? I was thinking maybe a used glock.
Used Glock. New Ruger P95. Used Ruger P series.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 2, 2012, 08:51 PM   #37
the old gringo

defence weapon

do not trust anything smaller than a 40s&w bass pro had new s&w autos for around 350 used leo's are also in range. size is exactly that of the anemic 9 the 40 is much better as stopper in glock or smith , in most states is legal for deer i have taken several at out to 50 yards. this is from a guy that carried a 1911 for 30 years (food from the old mind is usualy bland and not salted)cheers jeff
Old June 2, 2012, 09:27 PM   #38
JJW

If your brother will accept .380 acp, then look strongly at the Bersa Thunder .380. It is a reliable, quality weapon. Starting price (depending on your area) $270. They have a variety for $300 or less.
I know you will hear all kind of arguments when it comes to caliber, but most will agree on the following:
  • The most important thing is shot placement
  • 380 handguns are among the smallest and easiest to conceal.
  • Todays ammo (in 380 ) is better than ever before, and more effective than before
  • 380 target ammo costs, on the average, $3-$5 a box more than 9mm.
  • Most 380's recoil are just a bit snappier than 9mm.
I own 2 Bersa 380's they are my everyday carry weapons, summer and winter, because of their conceal-ability.

I also own 2- 9mm handguns, so I am not stuck on 380. I suggest them based on reliability and price. I am 70 years old and the recoil form the larger calibers are just a little more than I can recover my aim from as quickly as I can 380 or 9mm. By the way, 380 is a 9mm short.
Probably the best advice I can offer is this: Hold, and if possible, fire different weapons Before he buys. If it's is not comfortable - don't buy it. keep looking until he finds one that is.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:49 PM   #39
Martowski

Glad I could be of assistance. Yes, Gunbroker is a great resource; I've purchased many firearms through there and sold a few too. Just like e-bay: stick with reputable sellers with good feedback, descriptions, and photos, and you're good to go.

I still stand by the SP2022 as the pistol to beat in this price range.
Old June 3, 2012, 04:44 PM   #40
Oysterboy

Yo Mart, seems every one sold from your list. They don't stick around long don't they?
Old June 3, 2012, 10:42 PM   #41
Martowski

No, they don't. But just like weeds they keep popping up!
Old June 4, 2012, 07:33 AM   #42
ScotchMan

I hate to be the guy to change the parameters of the question, to change the rules so to speak. But, if he's buying one gun for CCW or home defense, he should really buy the gun he wants. Handguns are terrible manstoppers, so shot placement is the most important attribute, period. That means you have to shoot it well, really well. Limiting yourself to a certain price range (any price range), filters out what could be the ideal gun.

It doesn't have to be expensive, I'm not saying you have to spend at least X on a gun. But what if this guy is absolutely perfect for a Beretta PX4 Storm (for example), it fits him perfectly, and he can shoot the center out of a target all day long with it? It will last him a lifetime, and the additional couple hundred dollars become meaningless over that time frame.

If he limits himself to a certain amount, he might end up with a gun that works but he's not very good with it. 20 years from now, the difference between $350 and $700 is going to be meaningless. There are a lot of really nice guns in the $350-$800 price range that aren't being included here. Even adding just $100 to the budget brings in a lot of really nice options.

I can understand budgets if you buy and sell guns a lot like some of us, but if you are buying one gun for the long haul, your budget should be pretty much anything.

Buy once cry once.

And just to get my own opinion in here (it is the Internet after all), I'd probably buy an HK P2000 in 9mm if I could only have one gun for CCW and HD duty.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 4, 2012, 07:50 AM   #43
ponchsox

Save up another $100 and get an M&P or Glock.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:26 AM   #44
Skadoosh

I will add to the Sig 2022 vote. A great platform. Accurate, ergonomic, rugged and reliable. I see them all the time going for $350-$375. I love mine. Paid about $350 OTD for mine brand new.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:26 AM   #45
GaryH

He doesn't want to spend more than $350?

The Ruger P95 or S&W Sigma pistols are both reliable, and they are in that price range. You can get either out the door, and maybe a box of ammo, for that amount.

Whatever he buys he should take it to the range as often as possible to practice and become comfortable with the pistol. If he's new to handguns, and self-defense is his main objective, he needs to be proficient enough to be able to handle his weapon without fumbling around to get off the first shot.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:29 AM   #46
RedBowTies88

Another vote for CZ82.

Another option is a Tokarev, less capicity but the rounds packs much more of a wallop. Plus its got more of a "cool factor" IMHO. Both are very reliable combat pistols.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:33 AM   #47
DepOne

"CZ-82. Superb quality and he can add a good holster and a few hundred rounds of ammo up and still spend his budget.

Willie"

Absolutley right Willie. It is indeed an impressive gun and a great bargain.

Look at the Springfield XD's in the used gun case. Great gun. I feel it's much better than Glock. Better ergonomics, trigger and features and totally reliable. And it's usually cheaper.
Old June 4, 2012, 09:55 PM   #48
power5

Budgets are budgets. I know our government does not know the point of one, but saying that he should just double his budget is nonsense. You have no idea what set the budget. So if he spends double and his wife leaves him and takes his kids sending him into depression and he takes his $700 gun and blows his brains out, its still meaningless to you? I know I may have exaggerated a bit, but just give him options in his budget. Everyone knows that spending more generally gets you something better.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:51 AM   #49
JesusQueen

Palmetto State has M&P's for $399 and the free shipping.
Old June 5, 2012, 08:35 AM   #50
ScotchMan

Quote:
Budgets are budgets. I know our government does not know the point of one, but saying that he should just double his budget is nonsense. You have no idea what set the budget. So if he spends double and his wife leaves him and takes his kids sending him into depression and he takes his $700 gun and blows his brains out, its still meaningless to you? I know I may have exaggerated a bit, but just give him options in his budget. Everyone knows that spending more generally gets you something better.
I get that. And if the budget was created by something like that, then ok. But I think there are a lot of people out there who decide they want to own a gun and don't really know anything. So they pick a number out of the air because it gives them a place to start and they don't want to spend $10,000 on something. I have a friend in this situation, he bought a Chiappa Puma 1911 .22, it successfully fires about 60% of the time, everything else is misfeeds and light strikes. He spent like $200 on it. Had he known better, I believe he would have raised his budget and bought something better.

So it can go both ways. If you only have $350 and that is final, fine. But if the number was picked arbitrarily, I like $500 a lot better.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member

Tags
ccw , gun , home defense , pistol