The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2001, 12:30 AM   #1
VictorLouis

I'm sorry if I appear to be wearing out my welcome here lately. Tonight, I had the opportunity to really examine the used 870 I just bought. I removed the two-round plug from the mag, and I wanted to check the feeding and cycling. I have a set of orange plastic dummies from Dillon's that I bought after a bad experience with the blue Pachmayr's.

The rounds would only feed from the mag intermittently. It did not seem to be dependent on how hard I pumped, nor whether it was horizontal, or with gravity aiding with the muzzle up. When they did drop onto the lifter, it was only with the first two shells, not the last two in the tube. Is there anything in particular that I should look for?
Old January 17, 2001, 03:15 AM   #2
DML

I sounds to me like the follower is hanging up. Check the inside of the magazine tube for a build up of crud or a dent. Make sure the spring doesn't have a kink in it.

I haven't had much luck with those plastic dummies. Most of them don't have the required weight. I use dummies made by Remington. They have the same weight as a regular loaded shell.
Old January 17, 2001, 06:53 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some dummies just won't feed well, and others are more snap caps than training aids. A reloader bud made me some up years ago using Brenneke slug cases, the clear ones, with a blaze orange liner and about an oz of 8 shot above a wad and then the whole mouth was trimmed and the shot epoxied in place. The things were unmistakeable, and I wish I could find them now.

Like DML said, make the tube crud free and see what happens with real loads....
Old January 17, 2001, 09:47 AM   #4
VictorLouis

Funny thing is, they fed perfectly through that Savage pump I flirted with, and my 9200A1. I will give it a good cleaning tonight as step one.
Old January 17, 2001, 10:48 AM   #5
Intel6

I am wondering if it is the shell release digging into the plastic head of the dummy? They are a stamped piece of metal and I could see it being sharp enought ot drag on plastic when it wouldn't drag on a brass head?

If you know someone who reloads shotshells, just have them load up a case with a spent primer, no powder, and a wad and shot. It will makes a dummy that is very close to a regular shell.
Old January 17, 2001, 11:52 AM   #6
laissezfirearm

Check out the cheap black plastic ones with
the yellow "primer".

Have about a dozen, and they all work fine.

They're usually three for $5 or less, and
a lot of stores carry them.

[Edited by laissezfirearm on 01-17-2001 at 01:25 PM]