The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 13, 2009, 10:16 AM   #26
Mannlicher

I carry a hand gun in a cross draw holster. It is not visible from the outside of the truck, but I can get to it very quickly with my shooting hand.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 13, 2009, 10:20 AM   #27
csmsss

I keep a .38 snubby in the glove compartment of both my and my wife's vehicles. Don't have to worry about *where* my carry piece is kept that way.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:58 PM   #28
Brit

On me

Glock belt slide, cut down, 3-30 always! Hold cover garment back, fasten seat belt. shirt back. The center console makes a wee cave, really good draw position.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:56 AM   #29
cjw3cma

Maybe it's just me....

....but I carry my 1911 USGI in its D.M. Bullard Bodyguard Combat Holster worn at the 3:30 position all day - driving, walking doesn't matter as it "fits" me well and the seat of my King Ranch seems to offer the necessary room so driving is comfortable - even on long trips.
Old January 14, 2009, 04:25 AM   #30
Milspec

I usually carry IWB crossdraw or a Kel-tec in a pocket holster inside my jacket. Wife's thinking about getting a SmartCarry for her Para .45 PDA. They're supposed to be easy to draw from while sitting. Curious how well they work...

Milspec
Old January 14, 2009, 06:25 AM   #31
B.N.Real

Never lay your handgun on your car seat if the car is moving.

A sudden stop and it is in the floorboard where you cannot get to it.

Even a glovebox beats the seat because at least you have one place to go to get the handgun.

The gun realistically should be on you if legal in a holster.

A car jacker or other idiot depends on seeing into your car to tell if you are unarmed.
Old January 14, 2009, 04:31 PM   #32
Amendtwo

When the weather is warm, my main CCW is in a fanny pack while driving. When a jacket can be worn, a KT P32 is usually in the left inside pocket, while my S&W 642 is in a OWB holster at 4:00.
Old January 14, 2009, 04:44 PM   #33
JBriggs

I keep mine tucked between the seats of my crown vic, but as some of the other members state, be careful because if you get in wreck the pistol may come loose. There is a company out of Texas that makes a floor mounted holster for around 100 bucks or so. Such allows you to position your weapon where you want, but not have to worry about it coming loose in an accident. I will try to find the name of the company. My good buddy has one of them and it is absolutely great.
Old January 14, 2009, 04:46 PM   #34
Creature

csmsss wrote:
Quote:
I keep a .38 snubby in the glove compartment of both my and my wife's vehicles. Don't have to worry about *where* my carry piece is kept that way.
What if you are outside of your vehicle when you all of a sudden REALLY need your snubby?

What if someone breaks in to your vehicle/s?

What if, God forbid, you or your wife's cars are involved in wreck...I have seen many automobile accidents where the contents of the glove box was emptied during the wreck and everything ended up strewn across the road...what then?
Old January 15, 2009, 07:08 PM   #35
SMiller

I leave mine on my hip in my holster, the seat belt is not in it's way and I can still pull it out of the holster, no big deal. I still practice pulling it all the time if no ones around and im bored.
Old January 16, 2009, 12:18 AM   #36
KnightZero

I rarely have a problem with my IWB or my OWB leather holster. The IWB would be a bit uncomfortable to draw from, but still doable. If I'm carrying my Fobus, I've got to pull the whole mess off my belt and put it inside the center console, otherwise I'm too wide for the seat. I need to lay off the snacks.

I prefer having it in the center console, but if I end up in a bad spot, or have to get out of my car for any reason, I would hate to be separated from my carry weapon due to forgetfulness. Might be time to invest in a "Car gun." What? Its a valid excuse!
Old January 17, 2009, 12:09 PM   #37
Dresden2001

Massad Ayoob in his most recent book on concealed carry suggests that the best place to conceal or carry your weapon in a car is on your hip where you usually keep it. He advocates a technique where you put on your seat belt, then pull your coat or other concealing clothing outside the belt, so that you have essentially freed your weapon. I carried a gun in a vehicle every day for nearly thirty years and always had it in my holster, so I guess I would agree with Mr. Ayoob's advice.

I have had to draw from a sitting position in the vehicle, both as a passenger and driver and the only time I recall that it was difficult, was when the car was equipped with bench seats (how long ago was that?) and my holster was forced sideways under my butt.

I would not want to have a gun in the console, or between the seats or other places where I could not reach it in all instances, or it could become a projectile in case of accident or violent manuevers.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:07 PM   #38
FireForged

Decisions having to do with firearms can easily be over intelectualized.. You can "what-if" yourself into a corner. What load, projectile, what cal, what barrel, iwb, owb, and on and on and on. You can not plan for every remotely possible situation, so dont. What you will end up with is a plan that only 10% effective in a given situation. I put in place a plan for what is likely and mentally consider the odd-ball. That way I can very deal with 90% of the situations in a effective manner and hope not to be caught off-guard on the odd ball. I keep it simple and wear a standard pancake holster and thats it. I shift it a little more forward on my belt when in a car and push it back on the hip when not in the car. I find it easier to train for one style of draw(strong side hip), and train myself to do that while sitting or standing/walking or down on one knee.
Old January 20, 2009, 03:21 PM   #39
gclefton

My SafePacker works very reliably when velcroed over the seatbelt.

Old January 20, 2009, 03:48 PM   #40
Creature

Quote:
Decisions having to do with firearms can easily be over intelectualized..
Quote:
You can not plan for every remotely possible situation, so dont.
Prudent forethought on where to keep your weapon while driving is hardly "over intellectualizing"...and since having to drive occurs more than just occasionally in the majority of the TFL member's lives, I would hardly call this a "remotely possible situation".
Old January 21, 2009, 01:35 AM   #41
hillbillyshooter

There are no "what ifs." I drive every day. I realized that as I carry, IWB strong side, my seat belt covers my weapon. I feel that being able to access my weapon as neccessary a concern as being proficient at shooting from a knee. To me this falls in my 90%. I was simply trying to illicit helpful suggestions for solving this problem and have received useful ideas.
Old January 21, 2009, 08:37 AM   #42
rosssmith

Need for self defense

Self defense is indeed a major area of concern today. I believe its never too late to familiarize yourself with the latest techniques and equipments. There are numerous resources out there I found defendingusa.com particularly useful.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:28 AM   #43
Brit

Reality!

Reality! The getting into my Jeep is door open, me in, slam/lock, cover garment (this week coat! Brrr) over console, belt snick, drive on.

No change as to any thing, drawing and firing whilst sitting in said Jeep sounds like a poor idea to me! I prepare for it, but the most kinetic energy I am in control of is being propelled by a V8!

Lets face it, if the vehicle is stopped, and you are sat in it, window open? Framed target is what you are.

Tires don't fail me now!
Old January 24, 2009, 01:38 PM   #44
hillbillyshooter

Agreed Brit,
I agree that if it is possible for the vehicle to be moving then there should be little to no reason to have to access my weapon. The only reason I posed this is if I am stuck in traffic, and am presented with a road raging individual or car jacker (less likely in WV). The road rage is the one that I am thinking about b/c here, myself as well of friends of mine have come across people very angry on the road. Really more just for peace of mind that I know my weapon is more easily in my hand. Thanks for the feedback though.
Old January 25, 2009, 04:53 AM   #45
Brit

hillbilly.

I agree with you, had occasion to produce, and point a BHP at a person who when asked for the best way to the south bound I 75 (In Detroit, I was under it, not on it!) he grabbed the passenger window, I had opened it 4" to ask the question, and tried to push it down more, looking me right in the eye as he inserted his other hand, heading for the door catch.

The BHP was under my right thigh, then thought to be best idea in a city by yours truly? Hand was on it, came up fast, he departed by falling over the bag he had on the side walk with him!

My only concern, The BANG! Should not have been really, but it was, I remember being not worried at the time, till 5 minutes later, right leg jumping so bad I had to drive with left foot, till a rest area, found the on ramp kind of quickly once I left my new friend!

Mil Spec hard ball, would not have been stopped by the target presented. And I would have had the case! A major Dilemma would have then surfaced, as it was, no Dilemma. This was B/4 the days of GPS.

Last edited by Brit; January 27, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old January 25, 2009, 09:52 AM   #46
VHinch

My primary carry is a full size 1911 IWB at 4:00, but I always have a Smith 637 on my ankle. The Smith is very accessible when seated, and would be my first option if I needed to draw while in the vehicle.
Old January 25, 2009, 11:18 PM   #47
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
when asked for the best way to the south bound I 75 (In Detroit, I was under it, not on it!)
Whoa, if you are under I-75 anywhere in Detroit, you are in a decidedly bad neighborhood.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:15 AM   #48
Brit

Bad area?

The new Cadillac's parked outside houses with broken windows, and curtains blowing out of them was what I should have noticed! What you might call a clue?

Not sure how I got turned around! But it might have been my own little angel that got me out of there! That was at least 15 years ago, I doubt it has improved much?
Old January 27, 2009, 09:22 AM   #49
Ricklin

Don't Forget!!

If you keep a concealed weapon in the car.

Not everyone who may have occasion to use your car has a CHL. Could be a major issue for them, at least that is the case here in Oregon.

In fact my friendly county sheriff (really) reminds us of that fact with the letter you get from him along with your CHL.
Old January 27, 2009, 09:39 AM   #50
bill 13

I wear a comptac pro unde cover with a kimber CDP 45 compact at 4:00 while driving.I also keep BHP in the center console, full time.

IN Texas ,we have moterist protection act so anyone leagally able to own to
a firearm can carry concealed in their vehichle.