The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 9, 2001, 09:24 PM   #1
Songdog

Wheelguns for IDPA

Anyone shooting revolvers for IDPA?

What make and model(s) do you like?
What mods work for you?
Do you use your actual carry/defense gun?

Thanks!
Old November 11, 2001, 07:19 PM   #2
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Most of our revolver shooters use a SW 625, though I have seen a guy with a 10mm revolver.. cool.

When I did see a guy using standard speed loaders.. he dumped his ammo TWICE from a speed loader that opened as he grabbed it. I guess the lesson there is BUY a GOOD speedloader.

Unfotunately my revolver won't fit in that little box.
Old November 12, 2001, 12:06 PM   #3
Cat

I shoot Stock Service Revolver division in IDPA. I favor revolvers for some dark, unknown reason. (Something in my DNA?)

I primarily shoot a S&W Model 19 with a 4" barrel. I will occasionally use one of these other S&W revolvers: 3" M-66, 3" M-13, 4" M-10, or a 4" M-625 "Model 0f 1989".
All except the 625 are carry guns and are basically box stock.

I tried a .40 S&W Model 646 for a while, but it just didn't work out as I had hoped. The darn thing is TOO light and the reloads just aren't as reliable as the 625 with moon-clips or the others with speed loaders (Safariland Mk-II).
Old November 12, 2001, 12:33 PM   #4
Bob Locke

At the club where I used to shoot in VA, one of the better overall shooters used a 4" S&W 686. That dude could FLY!
Old November 12, 2001, 02:45 PM   #5
John Forsyth

The gamer types are using 625's (.45 ACP) and 610's (.40 S&W and 10mm). Both are set up for full moon clips. A friend of mine is using the 610 w/ 4in barrel and has had a fiber optic front installed as well. That in combination with his gamer loads, I know because I am the one who loads them, along with a plastic holster makes for a slick competition setup.
Old November 12, 2001, 04:52 PM   #6
Pampers

Revolvers in IDPA?

You must be kidding! A revolver against those auto loaders? Get real!

At the Tennessee State IDPA Championship, Morgan Dague won SSR with a total of 118.20. Not bad when over all was an ESP with 99.76. CDP was 106.55, and SSP was 110.92.

Not a bad showing for an obsolete wheel gun!

Yr. Obt.Svnt.
NRA Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2001, 12:26 AM   #7
wayne

I only shoot revolver in IDPA. I shoot an older Model 27 3.5" barrel, and now am just starting to use a Model 24 3" barrel. Occasionally a 2" Model 10. My friend Neil(Cat) and I shoot IDPA, and he really is a revolver guy, but has been turning to the darkside more and more, and shooting that Springfield.

PS: Morgan is one heck of a revolver shooter !!
Old November 23, 2001, 11:24 PM   #8
banjobart

My favorites are;

S&W 625 5"45 ACP using moon clips and beltclipholders, Kramer holster from Dillon.

S&W 610 4" 40 S&W using moonclips and belt clip holders, same holster as 625 5".

S&W 625 4" Mountain gun using Kramer holser and moon clips and belt clip holders.

S&W Model 19 4" barrel using Safairland Comp III speedloaders and Blocker belt holders, Safailand 560 series holster,would like to get a Kydex holster.

The ultimate rig is the 4" 610 with moonclips in 40 S&W.

Anything really will work, it's the shooter more than the gun in revolver class where you are only competeing against other revovler shooters. Practice the reloads with dummy rounds at home a lot.
Old November 25, 2001, 11:35 PM   #9
Cat

I have had the honor of "sharing the range" during IDPA shoots with Morgan and Marla Dague. Morgan is a wheelgun machine.

There are several wheelgunners that don't give up very much to the auto-shooters in a match.

In real life if you haven't solved your problem with six rounds you probably need more than a handgun. How about a U.S. Marine fireteam?
Old December 2, 2001, 01:27 PM   #10
smoney

i shoot a 610 4" converted to DAO, from a blade tech holster, and "shoot the moon" clip holders from california comp works.

not good with a wheel gun right yet, but i am getting there. classified SS with a 686 on an "ok" day.
Old December 3, 2001, 03:16 PM   #11
dctag

From what I have seen for IDPA dont use a Safariland speedloader unless you are going to practice a lot. Use HKS instead. On the other hand if you practice a lot the Safariland is faster.
Old December 3, 2001, 08:28 PM   #12
Cat

The HKS loaders are pretty good, but when I used them in competition years ago, on two occasions as I was drawing the loader out of the pouch I inadvertently twisted the knob and dumped the rounds on the ground. This is not a good thing to happen in a match and a REAL bad thing to happen in a gunfight.

The same thing applies to magazine extensions. I was shooting a Glock in two different IPSC matches and during a mag change I popped the extension off the bottom, dumping 17 rounds of .40 in the grass.

Experience is a great teacher.
Old December 8, 2001, 03:59 PM   #13
jmcrane4

Dr. Rob, FYI, there is no box in IDPA for revolvers. If you chose you could have a 10" barrel. The box is only for autoloaders. Complete rules available on IDPA's website.
Old December 8, 2001, 04:06 PM   #14
Mikey

jmcrane4,

FYI you are correct about revos not being required to fit in the box but there has always been a barrel length limit of 5" (soon to be 4" as decided by the IDPA BoD). Complete rules at www.idpa.com

By the way, mine looks like this:

Mikey
Old December 14, 2001, 04:20 PM   #15
charleym3

IDPA Revolver.

All this IDPA fiscal year I shot a Ruger GP100 4". The cylinder has been champhered. I run a 10lb hammer spring and 8lb trigger return spring. The gun is equiped with Meprolight night sights.
I used to carry a 3inch version of the same gun. Identical set up except for the sights. I believe in shooting IDPA with the same gun I carry.
I learned a lot from shooting a wheel gun in competiton. Mainly I learned not to waist shots. Now I carry and compete with a modified Glock 17. I had the grip shortened to G19 length. Call it a G19-L.
Old December 15, 2001, 02:58 AM   #16
wayne

Charley,
I wanted to do a GP100, or an older Speed Six for IDPA for awhile. I realy like the 3" GP100 with the lighter barrel, it reminds me of the older guns without the lugged barrels. I guess one of my problems with the whole Ruger revolver series is choices. Everytime I think about it, I run into some S&W revolver, I get ideas about. The selection on the Smith side is so wide range, that I just forget about the Ruger. I wish Ruger would come out with a few more unique offerings based on the current lines.
I'd be curious why the change from the 3" to the 4" ?? ALSO, tell me more about the Meprolight night sights. Both front sight and rear sight blade ? I've had some thoughts on Ashley Dot set or some others for my Model 24 44 special I'm starting to use in IDPA.