The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 3, 2012, 09:35 PM   #1
countryfied252

Ruger Single Six

Is there a difference between the Ruger Single Six and the Ruger Single Six Convertable besides that the convertable one comes with the additional cylinder?
Old June 3, 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Crazy88Fingers

I reckon that's the only difference. The convertable may have a slightly larger bore to accommodate the .22 magnum bullets, and would therefore be slightly less accurate with .22 LR. But I don't know whether they use the same barrel on all their Single Sixes or not.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:17 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

The only difference is the extra fitted cylinder. The bore diameter is the same. There are a number of tests done with lab quality measuring devices that show that the bore diameter of the Ruger's varies a couple of thous. of an inch and the "overlap" on diameter covers the actual diameter of the .22lr and the .22wmr. A gentleman on Rimfire Central has done months of testing on this issue and has provided documentation to support it. I myself, shot competition silhouette for years and used a Ruger convertable in the Revolver class. That gun shot a 77x80 at the IHMSA Internationals and I shot several 40x40s with it. It shot the magnum cylinder very well also. Don't get too hung up on the bore diameter, it's not as critical as you'd think.
Old June 4, 2012, 06:09 PM   #4
.45 Vet

Not certain, but I thought all of the older Convertables came standard with adjustable sights.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
countryfied252

So are they the same gun or are they two different guns because I am wanting to get a Ruger Single Six and would like to be able to shoot the 22lr as well as the 22 mag. If they are the same gun, then would I be able to buy a Ruger Single Six and then get a 22mag cylinder seperate or do I have to get the convertable gun?
Old June 4, 2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Hawg

I think all the new models are convertible. I got mine without a LR cylinder and bought an old model cylinder off of ebay and it works fine.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

They are the same gun. Best to buy the convertible. Replacement cylinders have to be fitted -- Ruger won't sell you a conversion cylinder unless you send them the gun so they can fit the cylinder.
Old June 5, 2012, 10:57 AM   #8
big_cigar

New Model Ruger Single 6

I have a New Model Ruger Single 6 with just the 22 magnum cylinder.
Made in 1981

9 1/2 " barrel

pretty excellent condition. Any idea what they are worth with just the one cylinder?
Old June 5, 2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
They are the same gun. Best to buy the convertible. Replacement cylinders have to be fitted --
No, they dont. I put an old model cylinder on my new model and it works fine. Cylinder gap is the same with both cylinders. Lockup is perfect with both cylinders. Mine is not an exception to the rule. I've seen reports where many people have bought cylinders off ebay and GB and they work. I didn't find anybody that tried it and it didn't work.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...62#post5105062
Old June 5, 2012, 01:35 PM   #10
johnbt

Yeah, the people at Ruger don't know what they're talking about. Do some cylinders fit random guns? Sure. Luck of the draw. It's just a .22 rimfire, what could possibly go wrong?

"but I thought all of the older Convertables came standard with adjustable sights."

I bought an old model Single-Six Convertible in 1972 and it has fixed sights. Back then the guns with adjustable sights were called Super Single-Sixes.

John
Old June 5, 2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbt
I bought an old model Single-Six Convertible in 1972 and it has fixed sights. Back then the guns with adjustable sights were called Super Single-Sixes.
I bought mine in 2000 or 2001, IIRC, and the model with adjustable sights was listed in the Ruger catalog as a "Super Single Six" then.
Old June 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Hawg

Mine is a new model single six with adjustable sights made in 80 or 81.

Quote:
Yeah, the people at Ruger don't know what they're talking about. Do some cylinders fit random guns? Sure. Luck of the draw.
Well Ruger will time one for 80 bucks plus the price of the cylinder plus shipping both ways. Or you can buy a cylinder off ebay for 80 bucks plus five shipping and if it doesn't work you can put it back on ebay. Nothing to get bent over.

Last edited by Hawg; June 5, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

As multiple people stated in your other thread, the fact that the used cylinder you bought fit your gun doesn't mean they all will fit all guns, it just means you got lucky. I am also not impressed that you have a couple of Piettas that accepted other cylinders with no fitting. I have a Uberti SAA clone for which I bought a .45 ACP cylinder, and the cylinder was too long to fit into the space between the barrel and the breechface. I had to file down the aft face of the ratchet. Once the length odf the cylinder had been set, the cylinder bushing was too long and that, too, had to be filed down.

The general rule is that cylinders require fitting. Given that everything has tolerances, it stands to reason that some examples will fit due to luck of the draw, but it's misleading to propose that as a blanket statement.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Hawg

Sure is a lot of lucky people out there then. Like I said tho, buying a cylinder off ebay and trying it is a lot cheaper than going through Ruger. If it doesn't work you can put it back on ebay and maybe make a few bucks off of it.
Old June 6, 2012, 12:07 PM   #15
johnbt

"Nothing to get bent over"

There's a right way to do things and a half-assed-might-work-if-you're-lucky way. You never know who is reading your advice and how careful they will be following your instructions.

I've often wondered if some of the people who say the cylinder they bought works just fine actually know what to look for. Maybe they mean, "I still have both eyes and all my fingers so it fits."

John
Old June 6, 2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Hawg

Well y'all are entitled to your opinions and I thank you for giving them.
Old June 6, 2012, 01:24 PM   #17
newfrontier45

Quote:
There's a right way to do things and a half-assed-might-work-if-you're-lucky way.
Oh please, you obviously do not know what you're talking about, have never done it and would be afraid to even try. Those that have know the truth. This is not rocket science. Any individual can do exactly what they will do at Ruger. They will sift through a batch of cylinders and find one that fits. You imply that they take measurements and make a scratch-built cylinder to fit the gun. This is simply not the case. As long as you know how to check the timing, headspace and barrel/cylinder gap, you can determine whether or not a cylinder will work in any given Single Six. It's not a big deal, it's not half-assed and this comes from somebody who is completely anal-retentive and intimately familiar with custom revolvers.
Old June 6, 2012, 02:07 PM   #18
BIG P

NO difference,Got one and think the world of it, great little shooter.
Old June 7, 2012, 02:09 PM   #19
darkroommike

Get one with both cylinders, I would not consider a Single Six with just the .22LR OR the .22 WMR a "deal breaker" if the price was right, but if you want to shoot both, get one WITH both. I only used my .22 WMR cylinder a few times, it was much louder and expensive to shoot.