The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2015, 01:08 PM   #1
SaxonPig

So I am now reloading the 38-40 WCF...

I didn't want to load any new calibers requiring buying new dies, bullets, cases, etc but I weakened and bought a Colt in 38-40. A TFL member sold me some RCBS dies and a box of bullets and cases so I wumped up 100 rounds last night. Ready to fire the gun.

The 38-40 is an odd caliber. Not even a 38 as the name suggests it uses .401" bullets but I guess 38 sounded better than 40 caliber at the time. Not sure why it even exists at all. Made by necking down the 44-40 it is so close in performance I don't see any advantage. I have no idea why they bothered to develop it.

It's a little odd looking, too, with the sharply bottle necked case. I was warned it can be tricky to load and I did ruin the first two cases due to inattention on my part. After that I rolled out 100 rounds without a hitch. The deal on the reloading stuff included a box of Nosler 150 JHPs. Intended for the 10mm auto pistol they look strange in the 38-40 cases but whatever. Next weekend the gun show is in town I will check the purveyors of lead bullets for something more suitable. I have 350 cases (OK, 348 after I crushed 2) and that should last me the rest of my life unless these wear out incredibly fast.

Oh, I loaded the first 50 with 7.5 Gs of Unique which is very mild and will let me check out how the gun shoots and the other 50 carry 8.5 Gs of Unique. Still mild but should give me a better sense of how it will feel with decent loads.
Old January 31, 2015, 01:42 PM   #2
steveno

Mike Venturino had an article about loading for it in the Handloader magazine a while back. I think he knows his stuff pretty well on the older calibers
Old January 31, 2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Smoke & Recoil

I too load for the 38-40, but with black powder. My daughter
really enjoys shooting the Model 73 Winchester.
Old January 31, 2015, 02:11 PM   #4
jdscholer

Anymore I don't even blink at taking on another cartridge to reload. We've got a local guy here who has a gazillion die sets for generally 20 bucks, and he's never let me down.

If ya can't find the right bullets on the rack somewhere, just visit one of our cast bullet forums, and someone like me would sell you or give you some to try.

I guess I do about a half dozen old, weird, or obsolete cartridges, and it just aint no big deal.

Congrats on reviving an old weird obsolete cartridge. jd