The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 13, 2013, 10:58 AM   #26
tahunua001

DPMS are decent guns. they are essentially a bushmaster or remington without the name brand stamped on the side.

a lot of them don't have chrome barrels so if you plan on shooting 1000+ rounds per sitting then you may reconsider them(I don't know if the recon specifically has chrome or not). I personally own a DPMS sportical, it's their budget model without forward assist and dust cover. for where I live I don't need a dust cover and the forward assist is a worthless tool in my opinion. I added a free floated badger ordnance handguard, M4 stock, hogue pistol grip and rock river arms 2 stage trigger. minus optics it's under $1000 and it'll shoot sub MOA with the right ammo(WOLF, if you can believe it, is the most accurate).
Old October 14, 2013, 06:42 AM   #27
Tangentabacus

Love my Colt, but an AR is an AR (at least with today's manufacturing tech). It's no longer a craft where skilled gun smiths assemble the rifle that will out rifle them all... There's inherently some differences but what it is starting to come down to is what do you want printed on that receiver... If you don't care you'll get the guns you want and probably pay less while you're at it. Though who can't resist a nice Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, POF, etc because it's a Colt, BCM.... You get the point.

Though I suspect I am preaching to the choir here. Honestly when I see posts like these I think that most people who already kinda know what they want... Already kinda know what they want and are just using forums to confirm their own personal choice which wouldn't have been changed anyways.

ANYWAYS... My rant is over and I will say that every DPMS I've fired has been great. Some were very well taken care of and some poorly. Never seemed to disappoint me when I pulled the trigger.
Old October 14, 2013, 08:57 PM   #28
rdmallory

Everyone would be surprised to find out just how few places actually cast the receivers and how many different brands are put out buy one machine shop.

And since the rush on AR I will be willing to bet if you pick any one brand they are sourced from different machine shops. They only real difference I have seen is the color of the iodizing varies from one make to another and that is also done at a different vendor.

Doug