Closed Thread

Old April 3, 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
mehavey

One-Time-Use Magazines

At least that's what the Colorado anti-2A sponors appear to think

COLORADO Democrat Doesn't Understand High-Capacity Magazines Can Be Reloaded
Rep. Dianne DeGette (D-Colorado): "I will tell you these are ammunition,
they’re bullets, so the people who have those now they’re going to shoot them,
so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is
going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot
and there won’t be any more available."

(April 2, 2013, Denver Post forum)

While the audience to these remarks appeared to be knowledgable enough to realize the utter nonsense
of this statement, I fear that a great many people (and not a few of the Lawmakers involved) have
no clue. This then is our greatest problem: Total ignorance in the face of "Do-It-for-the-Children" emotion.

Her spokeman tried to "correct" the "mistatement," but in my opinion just dug the ignorance hole deeper:
Quote:
“The Congresswoman has been working on a high-capacity assault
magazine ban for years, and has been deeply involved in the issue; she simply
misspoke in referring to ‘magazines’ when she should have referred to ‘clips,’
which cannot be reused because they don’t have a feeding mechanism,” Johnson
said. “Quite frankly, this is just another example of opponents of common-sense
gun violence prevention trying to manipulate the facts...

Last edited by mehavey; April 3, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:04 PM   #2
dakota.potts

My girlfriend thought this was true too... she thought you bought a magazine loaded the way you would a box of ammo and once it was empty it was empty. I was glad to educate her but not everybody is so lucky or cares enough to find out on their own.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:49 PM   #3
orangello

That is amazing. I wonder if someone would hire me to repair nuclear submarines; I don't know much about boats, nothing about subs, and even less about nuclear propulsion systems, but I think they need to be carefully watched.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

So, saying that clips can't be reused is "fixing" the issue?

Isn't that like saying "I didn't say that WOOL isn't white, I said that CLOUDS aren't white!"

I have often marveled at the myriad issues which politicians claim to be able to fix but clearly do not understand even on the most basic level.

Reminds me of "If you think the problems we cause are bad, wait 'til you see the solutions!"
Old April 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #5
ATW525

Quote:
That is amazing. I wonder if someone would hire me to repair nuclear submarines; I don't know much about boats, nothing about subs, and even less about nuclear propulsion systems, but I think they need to be carefully watched.
Repair nuclear submarines? I thought they sink once and then you need to build a new one.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
2damnold4this

Quote:
So, saying that clips can't be reused is "fixing" the issue?

It's funny and sad at the same time.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7
JimDandy

I know a lot of Garand shooters that are gonna be significantly distressed to find out they aren't supposed to reuse their En Bloc clips.

Last edited by JimDandy; April 3, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:11 PM   #8
wogpotter

You have to remember that we're into the "techie details" of things, but many liberals actively avoid "techtawk", so when we use it in a discussion we're just effectively turning their ears off.

I have a friend who is smart & articulate, he works in a trechie field & swims in tech details so he's not the cartoon "liberal ignoramus" by any means.

However when it comes to firearms his knowledge & what's been fed to him is so very different from reality that we have to do a "conversion" process before we can have an intelligent discussion on the topic of guns. He's not opposed to me having guns, but he is amazingly lost in the details.

An example we went to a range a while back, after he'd determined I didn't have any "machine guns". We started out with my black powder Hawken muzzle loader, he was fine with it. Then we went to my 10-22, again he was comfortable. Upgrading to a Lee Enfield in .303 he was still comfortable. Then we went to the FN_FAL. Amazingly this didn't bother him either.

Why not? Because in his mind they were all "Single-shot rifles"! His definition of rifle types falls into 2 categories.

Type 1: Single shot rifles. (Def: it fires a single shot every time you pull the trigger, no matter what else is done, magazine gas operated self loading all qualify by the overriding single shot)

Type2: Machineguns that dump whole "High capacity loading belts of bullets" rat-a-tat-tat! Hundreds at a time!

NOw I'm not excusing, or condoning anything here, but it does make the point that what we sometimes say & what our opponent may hear can be very different.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 3, 2013, 04:14 PM   #9
gunloony

Quote:
COLORADO Democrat Doesn't Understand High-Capacity Magazines Can Be Reloaded
Well, that helps explain the recent gun laws enacted in Colorado.
Somebody ought to mention cartridge reloading to the representative: with any luck the shock would drive her into a persistent vegetative condition.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:16 PM   #10
wally626

Well at least she was calling them magazines, although her first mention was of magazine clips.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:17 PM   #11
NWPilgrim

I was very disappointed when I learned that politicians are not single use and disposable.

And people wonder why I have so many clips and mags!!! Now I have a handy answer for them. Because I can only use them once!!! Everyone knows that. The sad thing is I made the mistake of buying mostly unloaded mags and clips so I can't use them at all I suppose.

This is indicative of our "law making" these days. Perfect evidence that lobbyists wrote the bill and our representatives who sponsor the bills don't understand the subject matter they are trying to legislate, let alone the impact of the specifics in the bills. "We have to pass this bill NOW so we can figure out what it means!!"

I think we need to install a public gong in the halls of Congress.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 3, 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
kirbinster

Many people have no clue how guns work, because they have never even seen one in-person. The vast majority of drivers have no clue what is under the hood of their car either. A huge number of people call a repair person for anything more complicated than changing a light bulb as they are clueless about anything. Its a very sad commentary of where we are as a civilization.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #13
BarryLee

Quote:
I was glad to educate her but not everybody is so lucky or cares enough to find out on their own.
I had a debate over the weekend with several fellow gun owners who support Universal Background Checks. Basically they all seem to believe that there is already a National Gun Registry and if they sell a gun without going through a formal Federal Transfer process they could have legal issues if the gun is used in a crime.

I tried to explain that currently there is no record that they actually own the gun, but they all insisted that when you by a gun the LGS adds the S/N to Form 4473 and enters it into a Federal Database when they do your background check. I tried to explain the situation to them, but one by one their eyes glazed over as they began to consider what Kim & Kanye might name the baby.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 3, 2013, 04:25 PM   #14
SHE3PDOG

This is one of the funniest/saddest anti-gun fails I have seen so far. Such ignorance is quite irritating.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 3, 2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Dragline45

My favorite are the politicians who claim they are knowledgeable on the subject because they have shot guns before. Well, I have been golfing a hand full of times, but I know very little about golf.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:33 PM   #16
JimDandy

All you need to know is bowling is better because the ball returns to you, not you returning to the ball, and golf is better because you get to whack the ball when you're mad.

I'm waiting for the photoshop meme on this one, like the barrel shroud Predator thing... you know it's coming.
Old April 3, 2013, 06:36 PM   #17
North East Redneck

I better stop using them clips to load the Mosin, glad this woman's spokesperson set me straight on that.
Old April 3, 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
NWPilgrim

Can magazine velocity clips be reloaded if the shoulder thing that goes up (barrel shroud) stays down?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 3, 2013, 07:33 PM   #19
scrubcedar

The Congresswoman has been working on a high-capacity assault
magazine ban for years, and has been deeply involved in the issue; she simply
misspoke in referring to ‘magazines’ when she should have referred to ‘clips,’
which cannot be reused because they don’t have a feeding mechanism,” Johnson
said. “Quite frankly, this is just another example of opponents of common-sense
gun violence prevention trying to manipulate the facts...

Okay I was raised in Colorado and learned this phrase there which makes it even more appropriate. "Ma'am around here we shovel that stuff out from behind our Bulls, we don't play with it."
Old April 3, 2013, 08:05 PM   #20
tomrkba

I am deeply concerned that I'll have to throw out my magazines after I load and use them the first time. I really should call Magpul and tell them to stop making single use magazines.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:08 PM   #21
scrubcedar

Have you seen the video of her at the meeting? It's disgusting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WypFNHOl5_Q

I'll let you decide for yourself what words accurately describe her.
Old April 4, 2013, 07:54 AM   #22
Kimio

I can think of well over a dozen that come to mind right off the bat. None of them are polite nor appropriate to mention here.

It's astounding, and the sad fact is, there are many out there that will believe the garbage she spews. I wish these people would at the very least read up and research what they are trying to get rid of, at least then I could give them a modecum amount of respect for at least are somewhat knowledgable on the subject that they're so passionate about.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:16 AM   #23
kraigwy

Before we laugh too much about these stupid politicians we need to think a bit.

When I was a young infantryman in Vietnam, during a heavy rain, an old Sargent told me to think of it this way, "No matter how wet you are, there is always some place wetter".

The same theory applies here. No matter how dumb one is, there is always someone dumber.

Somebody voted for these people.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 4, 2013, 09:20 AM   #24
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Somebody voted for these people.
Yep. And a lot of somebodys didn't show up to vote against these people, which has the same net effect.

The situation right now is like closing the barn door after the horse has fled, joined the circus, gotten its own TV show, crashed and burned, and had a VH1 documentary made. Those who sympathize with gun control have been steadily packing seats in state and national legislatures since 2006, while gun owners have been sitting on their hands.

We can hue and cry all we want about DeGette's ignorance and arrogance, but there was a time we could have prevented all of this.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:53 AM   #25
MLeake

Tom Servo, you are correct, but please recall that prior to both the 2008 and 2012 election cycles the mods here were saying that politicians knew better than to try any of this.

IIRC, you yourself routinely pointed out both the poor finances of the Brady campaign, and the Clintonian admonishment to avoid gun control.

Such attitudes may well have caused some of the complacency you now lament.
Closed Thread