The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 18, 2013, 09:48 PM   #1
horatioo

Ruger American 270

I want a better deer rifle that I can put a scope on. I use an SKS now. The Ruger American 270 is for sale for $330.

I dont anticipate ever shooting at a deer at over 150 yards and to be truthful not over 100 yards.

My question is this a good rifle? At a good price? I researched deer rifles a few years ago and wanted a remington 700, but money is tight.

I want a good rifle, for inexpensive, that I can put a scope on and shoot deer efficiently with. Is this a good choice?

Also can I get a good scope for it for ~$100. All I need from a scope is good enough.

Thanks
Old January 18, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
WildBill45

Why do you think that rifle can't shoot over 150 yards? A 270, even that one can shoot well at 400 yards and more easily ... it is not the rifle, but the shooter with the limitations. I am sure it will do what you want it to do... No worries mate!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 18, 2013, 09:55 PM   #3
WildBill45

PS: This is the Semi-auto section, and the Ruger American is a bolt gun. Just thought I would mention that.

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 18, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4
horatioo

The 150 yards was more a comment on my ability and the place I hunt then anything to do with the gun.

I dont have any idea how far it would shoot. I just dont think I would shoot at a deer over 150 yards. Maybe if I was a lot more confident. That is what the scope is for. But the land I shoot at probably doesnt have a lot of 150 yard shots.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
jimbob86

I've heard good things about the Ruger American...... $330 sounds inexpensive to me..... but what do I know? I hunt deer with an antiquated Remmy 721 (with a scope on it that can be had on e-bay for $30) ..... seems to work, though, at 15 feet to "way out past Ft. Mudge" ......

My brother bought one just like it (almost, his had considerably less wear on it than mine, though it was almost 10 years older), off the consignment rack at Green Mtn. Guns in Denver .....$400 OTD, with a better scope than mine, and a tool box full of handloading components, a lyman reloading tool and load data .....

SKS's are fetching a pretty penny right now, what with the semi-auto ban concerns ...... get the Ruger, sell the SKS, and buy a handloading set-up and a butt-load of components......
Old January 18, 2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Mike38

An SKS with good ammo would drop deer sized game just fine at 100 yards. But if you're looking for an excuse to buy a bolt rifle, the Ruger American is a good starter.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:16 PM   #7
jimbob86

Quote:
I dont have any idea how far it would shoot. I just dont think I would shoot at a deer over 150 yards. Maybe if I was a lot more confident.
Confidence is built by successful experience.

Shoot at pie plate sized targets at 150 yards, first from a benched sandbag to see if the gun/load is capable of it, and then from field positions to see if you are.

My best advice? Learn to use an m-1907 style shooting sling from field positions, and quickly ..... and shoot as much as you can.

http://carnival.saysuncle.com/001086.html

I used to use my .270 to shoot prairie dogs ....... when you can consistantly whack a tiny target like a prairie dog from field positions, hitting the boiler room of a deer is not hard at all.
Old January 18, 2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Metal god

Wow Nobody getting to the point . I have an American in 308 and it shoots great with the right ammo

That's using a $60 3-9x40 Tasco world class scope . I paid $360 for mine and thought it was a good deal so $330 is a good price . I like my rifle a lot and would recommend it .

The stock is a little cheep but I think that's one places they tried to save money and it shows . I have a review on my rifle here at TFL . Check out the first page and the last page . I added some stuff to the review in the last month and its on the last page of the review .
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492169

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .