The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 15, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1
lemon4879

I want to get into pistol competitions, however im 18

I have seen an 18 year old and even a 16 year old compete, but how are they allowed to and all with the law not allowing the purchase of handgun or handgun ammunition to be sold to anyone under the age of 21. And if they were gifted the pistol how do they practice shooting it, i mean they can't have a 21 year old present every time right? If anyone can shed light on this i would greatly appreciate it.
Old August 15, 2011, 10:50 AM   #2
LarryNTX

I'm not a lawyer, and I sure don't play one on the internet, but I think this section of the law would apply to you.
The way I read it, as long as you have written permission from your parents (and make sure you have that with you at all times when you have a handgun) you should be good to go.
Quote:
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
(3) This subsection does not apply to—
(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile—
(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—
(I) during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II) with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html
Old August 15, 2011, 11:14 AM   #3
lemon4879

I always have such a hard time interpreting the law. But I believe you have a good interpretation, as long as its in a closed case to and from a range with a written letter in my hand I believe I can go to a range without a 21 year old with me. Thank you!
Old August 15, 2011, 09:23 PM   #4
oldkim

Location... Location... location

First, update your location.

This helps to talk to you more directly on some questions.

For this in particular it would help.

Yes, it depends on State.

As for Federal - No, being under 21 you may not purchase a handgun or pistol caliber ammo from a "store." FFL ruling does not permit these folks to sell to those under 21.

For Washington State - one under 21 and older than 18 can purchase a handgun from a private sell (face to face). Also one can shoot and own firearms. One can even open carry but not conceal carry (>21 for Washington Conceal Pistol License).

So check with you local club... the local state laws and local match rules will apply. Good luck and have fun!

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old August 15, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
lemon4879

Ok, ill check with my club first! And i live in Florida and hope to do competition shooting but am still trying to figure out what kind I would enjoy the most! Thanks!
Old August 17, 2011, 09:05 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

just go!

I have competed at USPSA matches alongside shooters as young as nine.
Nine.

And as old as ninetytwo.

My first year, my personal goal was to beat this 11-yr-old girl.
I did not meet my goal that first year.
Old August 19, 2011, 10:54 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...hope to do competition shooting..." Hi. You don't say how old you are. Make it known to the other club members that you want to shoot and you'll very likely find that one or more will help you. Including letting you shoot their firearms. Shooters are just like that.
In any case, in Florida, at 18, you're old enough to buy. You just can't buy a firearm from an FFL. Under 18 you must be "engaged in a lawful activity".
A synopsis of Florida State laws is here. http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/FLSL.pdf
"...still trying to figure out..." Try 'em all.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Jesse Tischauser

Its always Good to see young guys getting into the sport. Good luck!
Old November 9, 2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Nelson40

It is good to see young guys getting into the sport. You know, the sooner you start the better. You can become a great shooter if you keep your attitude up.!
Old November 12, 2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Mike40-11

Quote:
My first year, my personal goal was to beat this 11-yr-old girl.
I did not meet my goal that first year.
Yeah, I don't mind being beat by women, it's getting beat by little girls that's embarrassing.....
Old November 12, 2011, 09:50 AM   #11
kraigwy

The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) is chartered by congress to conduct firearms training to U.S. Citizens, their main target groups is youths.

The CMP conducts SAFS (Small Arms Firing Schools) prior to many of their matches, at Perry, Eastern/Western Games and other events.

From the CMP regarding Age Limits:

Quote:
Age Limits. The minimum age for Pistol SAFS students is 14; the minimum age for Rifle SAFS students is 12. Waiver requests may be submitted to the CMP for younger participants only if evidence of previous range firing training and competition and the individual’s ability to safely handle center fire pistols or rifles is presented with the request.
There is nothing in any Federal or ATF rules that prevent those under 21 from paticapating in Competition.

Having said that I enjoy seeing a young lady or young man beat me in rifle or pistol matches. The only thing better is to have a junior who I coached beat me.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 13, 2011, 12:19 AM   #12
chris in va

I have to wonder though. Maybe it's just the rules, but our local range won't allow anyone under 21 to shoot a handgun by themselves.
Old November 13, 2011, 08:55 AM   #13
AirForceShooter

In Florida you can own a hand gun at 18.
You can't buy one from an FFL.
Someone may give you one, you can buy one privately.

Have fun

AFS
Old November 14, 2011, 10:09 PM   #14
Gerry

Here in Canada, competition means that you're under direct supervision (IPSC, IPDA, ISSF, etc.) Therefore the rules that govern who can legally buy and possess a handgun do not apply in that situation. I know that doesn't help the OP since it's American law that is in question... I'm just sayin'...