The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 11, 2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Ntshade

Yote trouble

NorthEast Texas seems to be over run with yotes and hogs.
So if anyone wants to come this way and shoot a few, they are quiet welcome.
I have 3 horses I have to keep the yotes off of lately. So far I have not gotten a one. I'm the crazy lady who runs outside and yells at them in her pj's. When it gets bad I just move my car around. This summer I intend to send a few to the maker.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Daryl

It isn't likely that a coyote will bother a full sized horse much. They don't around here, and we have a bunch of coyotes in SE Az.

More likely they're mousing in your pasture.

That all said, feel free to shoot all you want. In the long run it won't lower the number of coyotes you have, but it might help keep them younger.

The fact is, when coyote numbers are low in an area (so they eat good), they have bigger litters of pups. When the numbers are high (so they have to work harder for a meal), they have smaller litters.

The best way to lower the numbers for any particular year is to hire an ADC guy with dogs to take out dens in the denning season. By taking out the den, including pups, you'll lower the numbers until the next denning season the following spring. If you don't get the dens the next year though, you'll be right back where you started.

Daryl
Old March 11, 2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Ntshade

Trouble is I have a colt out there too. And these horses were given to me and not in the best of shape.

I have noticed the doe have no fawns this year yet, and usually do by now.
Old March 11, 2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Hunter Customs

I sure wish I was closer, I would be glad to help you get rid of some them coyotes.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 11, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Give this thread a few days and I believe you will have some volunteers.

How may acres do you have? How many horses? Do you allow some form of baiting? Can the horses be put up or moved to a different pasture to be safe?
Old March 11, 2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Hog Buster

Get yourself a couple of jackasses. Everyone with cattle around here keeps a couple. They keep the coyotes off the calves. I don’t know why it works, but it does.

With no cows to worry about this jackass just baits them and blows them away at every opportunity.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:10 PM   #7
Stick_man

Another option would be to get llamas. I have seen an increasing number of sheep herders using llamas for protection against coyotes. The llamas tend to "adopt" the sheep as their own and are quite powerful and effective against dogs. I would imagine they would do the same with horses.

That being said, finances may be a limiting factor for you as well as many others (that would like to help). Maybe you could keep a loaded varmint rifle close by just in case you catch a glimpse of ole Wiley himself.

I'd love to help out, but transportation is a bit of an issue for me.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:30 PM   #8
grubbylabs

Llamas and Horses do not usually get along, the horses hate em most of the time.
However a mule will do you a lot of good. A mule will kill a dog pretty quick so if you have pet dog you like make sure they can't get in with the mule. I have seen a mule bait a dog first hand. We were able to call the dog back before he was turned into a muddy spot in the pasture but it was still close.
This mule also killed calves when given a chance, he would pick them up and swing them into his pen where he would stomp them into the ground then throw them back into the pasture. So they can be kinda nasty, but it wont take long for the yotes to learn not to come into the pasture. I have never herd of a mule hurting a horse so I would not worry to much about that. They really are smart critter.

Wish I was close I would love to spend some ammo.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 15, 2011, 12:18 PM   #9
rickyrick

Donkeys know everything that happens at a farm LOL... I watch the donkeys and can tell when the pigs are near .....they tend to avoid areas that have a group of pigs as the pigs are bullying calves and donkeys and they generally keep looking in the direction of the coyotes. Coyote will usually out themselves anyways. Donkeys will raise a ruckus when something gets within there comfort zone. Don't know about mules though.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:36 PM   #10
markj

I see lots of Lamas here, folks keep them with their horses ans small pen type animals as they will run off a yote fast. The horses dont seem to mind.

We had a big stud horse, he kept the pasture free of any varmints.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #11
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Llamas are definitely a deterrent to coyotes, and where horses are concerned, after an "adjustment" period, it's pretty much a non-issue.

That "adjustment" period however, can be very interesting. I remember all too well the first time our horses saw our llamas. I was riding a big buckskin in a clinic when that long neck popped up over a hill. A mellow horseman's clinic suddenly became a PRCA saddle bronc competition . You would've thought the devil himself showed up .

After several weeks though, horses and llamas arrived at an uneasy truce. They pretty much ignore each other now, but they don't "socialize" either.

As to coyotes bothering horses, that's pretty much a non-issue as well. I've watched yotes walk within thirty feet of grazing horses, and the horses rarely even lift their heads.

A foal may be at some risk, but any mare worth her salt will make mincemeat out of any coyote that even licks his chops at her foal.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 16, 2011, 01:05 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Donkeys are used here to protect cattle here too...

We turned out the hog dogs one night just a bit closer to a pasture than we noticed... Dogs took a track thru there and we here the braying then the cries of a dog who was in the wrong place at the wrong time... The dog was not his same nimble self with his sore ribs!

brent
Old March 16, 2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Tombstonejim

I am on the side that no yote is gonna attack a horse unless maybe its almost dead laying on the ground. They come to my stable all the time and drink water out of the horse trough. They don't hurt anything and they eat all the rats they can catch.
Old March 16, 2011, 01:24 PM   #14
hornetguy

I would be interested in coming over that way and trying to help thin em out.
I'll send you a PM...
Old March 19, 2011, 12:42 PM   #15
hornetguy

bump... Ntshade... you there? No answer on my PM to you...?
Old March 19, 2011, 05:33 PM   #16
jeepster11

if i was

closer you wouldnt have to worry about yotes but thats a far drive wish i could help. hope all is well with you.
Old March 28, 2011, 08:20 AM   #17
"JJ"

Yeah, I am just over a hour away myself. I would be interested to find out some details. If you would like some help with the coyotes send me a private message! I would like to know you property size & if possible I would like to look at a satalite image of your place. If the coyotes have no place close to bed down, they are just passing through. Hunting as they go! If that is the case it would be by chance that we timmed it right to catch one in the pasture. A night hunt would likely be more productive in this case. Or like someone mentioned earlier, keep a rifle close & pop them everytime you see them. Even if you don't hit it, it will start to avoid the area it always hears that loud noise! Like I said, if interested send me a message. Good luck!