The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 21, 2010, 01:17 AM   #26
HiBC

I do recall some organized thugs beating down a gentleman on TV not that long ago.The gentleman was selling tee shirts that the organized thugs did not like.
Seems the government sat on its hands.
I agree we might be threatened by organized thugs.Good reason to be well armed
Old September 21, 2010, 05:52 AM   #27
BlueTrain

You should be reminded that the National Guard was deployed along the Mexican border just before WWI, so it's all happened before. As to Kent State, I don't know where the guardsmen came from but the students came from all over themselves. Anyway, there were a few days of high tension before the pot boiled over, so to say, with more than a few people sitting behind their doors with loaded guns.

In Germany in the 20s, the government did in fact do something and Hitler himself was sent to jail. Later after he was elected, the thug element, mostly represented by the SA, was largely eliminated. The SS took over. The SS found to their surprise that people were more than willing to inform on their neighbors. I imagine a lot of grudges were settled that way. And while Germany ceased to be a democracy after Hitler was elected, that doesn't mean he did not have the full support of most of the people.

I like your comments about government, the gentleman from Tennessee.

Personally, the thing I fear most about the Tea Party movement is that they may have no one competent to be in government--or willing to serve a full term.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 21, 2010, 06:36 AM   #28
alloy

Quote:
all you with your pocket pistols
A good friend of mine retired a couple years back as a Gunnery Sargeant, I will ask him about your pocket pistol insurgency, but I believe he is going to punch me in the nose. He would be slightly over the militia age group so he's really just this side of utter uselessness, or so I've read repeatedly.

It's hard to come out of such a deep hole...without threadlock and banning, but it sure makes for good reading.
Old September 21, 2010, 07:05 AM   #29
BlueTrain

Oh, I'm well past the militia age myself, too, for what it's worth. I'm sort of at the "I can hide but I can't run" stage. I wonder if the folks that wrote the constitution ever thought about women being in the militia?

I am from West Virginia and there have been a few times when there was some serious stuff between the people (some of the people, that is) and the state militia, as it was still called then. Basically it was an insurrection. It happened in southwestern West Virginia and is largely ancient history. Surely no one is alive that would remember it. It was all about labor problems in the mines and that pretty much says everything right there, if you know anything about the history of that union. There seems to have been no problem with the state putting down the troubles, at least after federal troops came in. Another factor was the use of so-called private detectives in the coal fields. What it boils down to is that the rich people run things, no matter what, whether they are in government or not. It took more than pocket pistols. They weren't teaching this in West Virginia history when I was in school. They tended to focus on golden horseshoes and let the rest slide.
Buy War Bonds.
Old September 21, 2010, 07:40 AM   #30
Smilin Jack

Check out the book "The Great New Orleans Grab". The aftermath of Katrina showed us not only what our beloved government is capible of, but what they already have planned for us. There is also the factor of economic drain with Big Brother taking such good care of us. Here in Louisiana we can still see 1000's of house trailers sitting five years later......just sitting never having been used. We have areas that were leased, cleared, limestone roads put down, and water,sewer and electricity brought in and .......nothing......never were used at all. The ones that were used ended up being a sort of concentration camp/ghetto and three years later still had people living there crying about how bad they had it. And if you really want to lose some sleep grab your tin foil hat and google Rex 84....... bullets, toilet paper and spam......save em up.
History will never record how many men have performed great deeds because they were driven out of their homes by some unbearable trait of their wives, from which they fled, almost joyfully, to face as an alternative peril and even death.
Major John Reid
Old September 21, 2010, 09:05 AM   #31
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC
I do recall some organized thugs beating down a gentleman on TV not that long ago.
I recall that there was quite a bit of factual dispute about whether that happened as was alleged. But yes, you are right in that you have far more to fear from criminals than the government. Therefore, be careful of your surroundings and stay out of bars. Oh yes, and vote too.

Quote:
pocket pistol insurgency
Now THAT is priceless
Old September 21, 2010, 02:03 PM   #32
HiBC

Differentiating between criminals and government is,at times,a futile pursuit
I most certainly vote.As a civil,peaceful citizen my vote ,my voice,my example,and how I spend my dollar comprise my functional political tools.
In reserve,I retain the right to say "No"As Ghandi did.As Cheif Joseph did,as the young man did at Tienaman Square.
Talk is cheap,and only the moment will tell the story'
Those folks I admire and respect.The men who had the courage to sign the Declaration of Independenve I admire and respect.
They all ended up suffering at the hands of a thug government.
I have no positive sentiment for David Koresh,he was probably a criminal that needed to be arrested and prosecuted.The seige that unnecessarily murdered all the other folks in the builing was a thug giovernment.
Lon Horiuchi and co were tools of a thug government when they assasinated members of Randy Weaver's family.
Timothy McVeigh was a complete ,utter scumbag murderer I have no respect for.I loath all he did as evil.I rationalize none of it.
The children that died in the compound at Waco are just as dead.Randy Weavers kid and wife are just as dead.Those deaths were just as wrong,just as stupid,and just as evil.
It was wrong,stupid and evil to beat down Ghandi for making salt.
The wrong,stupid evil is the application of violence for reasons other than self defense.
All political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.Political power is the power to coerce.
EVERY POLITICAL OFFICIAL THAT SEEKS TO INCREASE HIS?HER POLITICAL POWER SEEKS TO INCREASE THEIR CAPACITY TO COERCE YOU!!
Each and every step away from limited government is a step toward tyranny.
The man who said save up some Spam and bullets was wise.
I agree,VOTE!!!

Last edited by HiBC; September 21, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old September 21, 2010, 02:17 PM   #33
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC
Differentiating between criminals and government is,at times,a futile pursuit.
That is scary rhetoric and likely to get the thread locked. Our present government is neither tyrannical nor criminal. Duly reported.
Old September 21, 2010, 02:36 PM   #34
orangello

Quote:
That is scary rhetoric and likely to get the thread locked. Our present government is neither tyrannical nor criminal. Duly reported.
And that smacks of intimidation, in my opinion.

I consider the current government quite the tyrant in some regards and, in some cases criminal, in the acts of its agents. That's only my opinion & is not meant to sway you from yours. Of course, i don't see many out there that are doing much better at governing fairly and without the occasional act of tyranny, oppression, or some minor criminal oppsies now and then.

Last edited by orangello; September 21, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old September 21, 2010, 02:49 PM   #35
alloy

Quote:
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government,
so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution
so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson. The sentiment seems legit, even if the choice of expressing it here isn't.
When a government slips outside of the established boundaries here and there, who knows what the limits become?
A shame the UK didn't have our boundaries, altho wathcing the video in the OP, was this a voluntary loss of firearm rights?.
Old September 21, 2010, 02:56 PM   #36
Mike Irwin
Staff

"And that smacks of intimidation, in my opinion."

Actually, it smacks of very clearly stated and enforced forum rules.

It seems that, since we've tipped over to the purely political, combined with the revolutionary, it's time for this one to go to bed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread