The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
uwtriguy

Scope removal

How does removing a scope from your gun and then reattaching it impact accuracy of the scope? Say I wanted to hunt iron sights one day and scope the next. I know I can get the pass through scope mounts but I prefer naked irons if I'm using them.

Thanks!
Old December 9, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
zoomie

Did you mean to put this in BP/CAS? Seems like an optics or rifle question.

So... what kind of rifle/mount do you have? It's easy with an AR or any rifle with a pic rail. Otherwise it'd be kinda difficult and probably won't have good results for you.
Old December 9, 2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Doyle

The ONLY scope mounting system that you stand a chance of retaining your "zero" with is a Quick Detach system. Leupold sells a good one but even with that, the zero is not a guarantee. I would never feel comfortable shooting at an animal after having reattached the scope without taking it to the range first.

I use a QD mount on my tree-stand gun (a Rem Model 7 .260). My reason for doing so is to have iron sight backup in case I damage my scope - not go the other way around.
Old December 9, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4
Howard31

Scope removal

I have to ditto Doyle . I have a couple of guns that I alternate between iron and optics.I don't think any of the Q-D mounts guarnantee repeatability.Experience has shown me that the mounts don't always return to the same zero. Close but not dead zero,maybe a 9 instaed of an X. They will put you on the paper and sometimes very close ,but why risk losing a match or missing the biggest deer of your life. Go to the range if you have taken the scope off and put it back on.

"I said I had no use for one,never said I didn't know how to use one". Matt Quigley
Old December 10, 2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Ideal Tool

The Germans have been using their "Claw" mounts for over 100 years. These are hand fitted male to female dovetails, with spring powered locking system. These scope mounts were designed to be able to remove or replace scope during hunt without the need for re-zero adjustment...BUT...They are expensive.
Old December 12, 2010, 01:17 PM   #6
uwtriguy

Thanks everybody. Good answers. Season is over today so I have all year to play around with irons and a few different mounts.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:13 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Just about any quality scope mount well return within 1-2 moa. That should be close enough for game hunting, 1-2 inches at 100yds. A Picitinny rail with quality rings that have a recoil bar well normally R&R within less than 1moa.

The European dovetail mounts are indeed very accurate when R&R'ed. My ZFK changes less than .5 moa.