The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
adamc

Anyone use a Harbor freight wood bench for reloading ?

I saw one 150$
Looked ok for a cheap bench

Hf imo is mostly
Old January 19, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Mitchw123456

For harbor freight it's actually pretty decent quality. I'm using one now secured to the wall with a 2x6 running the length of the bench with zero issues. My only complaint is it has several small holes in the top for putting pegs in to hold stuff in place. Tumbling media is great at getting in these holes and going into the top drawers.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:14 PM   #3
PoiDog

I bought one recently to use as a secondary bench for light work, such as trimming brass, mounting scopes, etc.

It's actually a very nice bench, well made and it went together easily. It's the nicest thing I've bought from any Chinese vendor. They must be picking up their quality.

I might mount a single stage on it using clamps to perform primer pocket swaging. Also might put my sizer press there.

A good value.
Old January 19, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Mike40-11

I have one as well. I use it as as a generic gun bench, loading , cleaning, etc, but don't have a press mounted to it. I agree, it's quite a nice bench. Solid and well made.

If I were to mount a press, I'd secure it to the wall and/or floor. Doesn't have enough weight to stay still when you start yanking on a press handle, IMO. Secured, it will work great.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Search for a coupon. They have them for $139.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6

China freight has some decent stuff. I shop there frequently. "This thread is worthless without pics". Lmao. I want to see it if you buy it and set it up. Got me interested. Mrs 318 will love you for this. More stuff to buy. Lmao. Good idea brother. Keep us posted.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:37 PM   #7
fishbones182

I use it and like it allot. I also use their large tumbler now for years with great results. I know some of their stuff is junk but what you get that does work. Sure make a great deal.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:05 AM   #8
bubbacrabb

Just my idea but 150 bucks can buy you a lot of lumber. You could make a real heavy duty bench for less than that. I think I got 40 bucks wrapped up in my bench. I've seen the bench you're talking about though. Its not a bad looking bench. I imagine it would work just fine.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:28 AM   #9
deepforks

agreed. build one for way cheaper and how you want it.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Have you checked the prices of lumber lately?

It's pretty much insane.

I rebuilt the porch on my Mother's house last year. 30 pine deck boards were nearly $200. You don't want to know what fir would have cost. The pressure treated 2x6s and other boards added another nearly $100, and we're not talking a lot of lumber here.

The big benefit to a bench like that, whether it's Harbor Freight or not, is that it's all cut and all you have to do is assemble it. No clouds of saw dust in the air in your basement...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Stukaman

I've gotten all my benches from places around DFW that were shutting down just gotta drive around the industrial areas and look.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:36 AM   #12
hounddawg

I use one as a secondary bench also. No press mounted on it but I do all my casework there and use the drawers for primer and bullet storage. Pretty decent bench for the money. I built my primary from 2x6's. I think it probably cost me just as much in lumber. If you use it for mounting a press I would recommend fastening it to the wall studs with a couple of L brackets
Old January 20, 2013, 09:37 AM   #13
TXAZ

I have one of the benches you refer to. I'm very happy with it. I also considered a similar bench from Home Depot but like the quality, features and price of the HF much better.

Assembly is easy and took about 45 minutes. The finish is nice.

Good luck.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 20, 2013, 12:55 PM   #14
biganimal

if someone can build a bench with 4 drawers (lined) and as solid as the one I bought at HF for 40 bucks please put me down for six!!

I love mine and have two powder measures mounted but my presses are on another bench because doing so would hinder the use of the drawers.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:07 AM   #15
bubbacrabb

Biganimal, shipping would put us over budget while I don't have drawers I do have a sturdy shelf and a very heavy bench that works for 40 bucks. I'm sure the hf bench is good. I just thought it was pretty costly
Old January 21, 2013, 09:23 PM   #16
justsoIcanupvotethis

I have the Harbor Freight wood bench for my set up. Great bench. I used corks for the holes in the top for the wood clamp mounting system. Have an RCBS trimmer mounted in the vise. I really like mine. I think mine was $99 on sale and then it took two weeks to get it so they knocked another $20 off for the wait. It was well worth $80 with the wait.

Last edited by justsoIcanupvotethis; January 21, 2013 at 09:28 PM.