The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Johnywinslow

pair of SS remis OR 3rd mod dragoons?

I own a brass frame 58 remington, and a 51 navy .44 (4 5/8") sherriff. both are pitas. that said I prefer the remington as my hands are a little to big for the colt. But I like to shoot ALOT. usualy a few times a week. various weapons but i realy like the cap and ball shooting. so this tax return im treating myself to a pair of guns and all the fixins. My first thought was SS remis but after reading and looking around Im finding myself want a pair of big ass dragoons. the walker is a little to long at 9 inches, I like the size of the dragoons to fit my bigger hands. well now I could use some advise. are the SS remis worth the diferance in price from standard blue steel? or is it just paying for looks. if so Id prefer to nickle plate a blued pair. second,I have never held a dragoon and I am "assuming" it has a larger overall grip. also can the open top dragoon hold up to 1000 rds of recreational shooting. I know i like the remingtons they are accurate and sturdy, But the hand cannon dragoons are more my taste,but are they durable as the remingtons? any input?? either way clay pigons are gonna die!!!!
Old February 9, 2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Deadguy

I have an Uberti 2nd model Dragoon. Yes, the handle is bigger than the Colts and the Remingtons. Is it durable? Well, I've used it for several seasons of Cowboy Action Shooting competition, and after hundreds, if not thousands, of loadings of 40 grains BP pushing a 200 grain bullet it is still working fine, and is not falling apart.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

DRAGOONS!!!!!!!!!!!

A pair of Italian Dragoons, or a 2nd or 3rd gen Colt. IF you can find a good price you well not find a better revolver.
The 3rd gens are less money and if you can find one that's been fired some it's very affordable. Get something different like a fluted model.

Old February 10, 2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Johnywinslow

sweet pics.

yes I was thinking the same thing. I have wanted dragoons for the longest time. I am having a problem finding holsters for them. any recomendations? someone on another site mentiond the open top holsters sold at cabelas anyone tried this? I feel like 350.00 each for new uberti revolvers is a fair price sense I have come down from considering a pair of rugers. but that is more of an investment. I want guns to shoot. and eventualy upgrade with krist converters. Also I like the 2nd mod squar trigger guard is it a problem on the knuckles like some say? is there anything else that makes the 3rd mod. different?

Last edited by Johnywinslow; February 10, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old February 14, 2010, 01:58 AM   #5
LeMat1856

according to taylor's site, the 3rd is slightly heavier (4 lb 14 oz)... the nice part is they have both the original bp and conversion cylinders (http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/bpDragoons.tpl) but no holsters.
Old February 19, 2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Smokin .50

Blast 'em to pieces with the big Colts!

I have a Walker on the right hip and a 3rd Model Dragoon on the left, just to balance me out, LOL! Walker gets used most of the time, and I win the competitions most of the time. Not boasting, just factual.

The big Dragoons are some of the most accurate pistols on the firing line at our club!

I LOVE mine, and I don't need the conversion cylinders. The Walker takes a 52 grain rifle charge, a wonder-wad, and a .454 Hornady ball. Makes nice round holes through the targets it goes so fast!

Don't worry about the guns holding-up, as the Walker been in constant use for years!

Dave
Old February 19, 2010, 04:12 PM   #7
flatheadsal

nothin' like a pair of Remmies with conv cyls, flathead

Old February 19, 2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

WOW !!!!

Quote:
nothin' like a pair of Remmies with conv cyls, flathead
Beautiful set!!!!!!

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 19, 2010, 09:36 PM   #9
sltm1

Answer on Remmies, SS vs Steel. I've owned both in Remmies, and for some reason the SS doesn't bind up after a couple of cylinders from bp residue like the blued model. Anyone have any insite as to why? Better production method's, less porosity in SS metal etc, etc. ???!
Old February 20, 2010, 12:41 AM   #10
arcticap

It may partly be due to the fact that the metal is simply more highly polished which gives it a smoother and more slippery surface.