The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 9, 2010, 11:01 PM   #1
EdInk

What do you need for CAS?

Background: I recently bought a Stainless Steel Ruger New Vaquero in .357 as a fun gun. When I bought it I originalwanted going to buy the short barrel Montado style but the 4 5/8" barrel was about $90 less. So, I went with it and love it. The longer sight radius is a big plus. I liked the Montado style hammer better (it's just a Super Blackhawk hammer) so I can change it later if I still feel like it. They also had the SASS matched pair with the Montado hammers but I didn't want to spend the extra money just for the hammers and consecutive serial numbers.

When I was buying it one of the guys at the store asked if I was thinking about doing CAS. It never really crossed my mind (and I really don't want to dress up) but it looks like it could be fun.

So, I was curious about what I would need (gun-wise) to compete in a CAS event. I read the requirements in the SASS rulebook but it didn't answer all my questions.

Do I need a second revolver? (I hope not. I don't want to spend another $500+ for a duplicate gun.)

Would a Stoeger coachgun be a good choice for the shotgun?

Should I use a 20ga or 12ga?

I would obviously, want a .357 rifle to go with the gun I already own.
Any suggestions (if I do this at all it will be on a tight budget).

I saw a Henry Big Boy (are these legal or not in SASS, I've heard/read/seen different things) that looked nice.

What do you suggest for a rifle?

Any shoe reccomendations besides cowboy boots? (I have wide feet and a high arch. I don't want to wear cowboy boots in the worst way.)

Thanks for the help.
Old February 10, 2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

Two single action revolvers, a pistol caliber lever or pump rifle w/exposed hammer, SxS shotgun w/o ejectors, with or without external hammers, or a Winchester M97 pump shotgun (original or repro is fine, but not a trench gun style), or a Winchester model 1887 style lever action shotgun, or even a single shot shotgun (ejectors are now legal on single shot shotguns). A 12g w/Winchester featherlite loads will kick less than a 20g. The Stoeger is a good choice in a SxS. There is a category called Working Cowboy offered at some local clubs that requires only one sixgun, but two is the norm. A M92 .357 is likely to be the least expensive route for a rifle, a Marlin M94 would be even better, and probably the 2nd least expensive. Keep your eyes out for used guns - I bought a decent used M94 Marlin .357 six months ago for $249 at a pawn shop and last month I found a new Uberti Cattleman Gunfighter revolver in .45 Colt being closed out at Wholesale Sports in Bozeman for $227.49. Most folks with .357's shoot .38's, but some .357 rifles work fine with .38's and some don't. The Henry Big Boy is legal in some categories and not in others, but is considered to be a poor choice by most, as is an 1884 style pump gun, especially the Taurus Thunderbolt. Local shoots are usually pretty relaxed about clothing, just don't show up in tennis shoes and a t-shirt - jeans, a western style shirt, and boots work fine.

SASS 47015
Old February 10, 2010, 12:05 AM   #3
Hawg

You can use a single revolver but you'll have to load on the clock. A second revolver is highly recommended. A lot of shooters use Stoegers. I'd go with the 12. Winchester 92 clone or Marlin 94 will be your cheapest out for a rifle. The big boy is legal but are mostly frowned on by shooters. Work boots without visible lugs on the soles work fine.
Old February 10, 2010, 12:12 AM   #4
EdInk

Why are the Henry rifles not liked?
Old February 10, 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Hawg

Heavy, not based on anything that was available during the time frame of SASS(1860-1899). They kind of snuck them in under the wire to get them legalized for SASS.
Old February 10, 2010, 12:30 AM   #6
EdInk

Oh, that makes sense. They do look real pretty, though.

The Stoegers aren't too expensive from what I've seen, if you get the base model. Are the fancier ones any better for the money?

So you do reccomend the Marlin or Winchester clone? What kind of money are we talking on one of those?

Oh well, the need for a second Vaquero will probably be a deal breaker anyway.
Old February 10, 2010, 12:40 AM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

Nope, no better, just fancier.

2nd hand '92's and Marlin M94's can commonly be had for ~$400 or so. In addition to several 1866's, 1873's and a 56-50 Spencer, I have three 1892's and two Marlins, but all things being equal, I'd probably opt for the Marlin over the '92. The Marlin is very easy to take apart and clean, very durable, and very reliable. The '92 is also very reliable, but if you ever take one apart, you're going to be scratching your head trying to figure out how to get it together again.

As for a second revolver - as I said earlier, I just found a NEW Uberti for not much over $200. I also won a gunbroker auction for a nice blued .357 Vaquero less than three years ago for $297.

You don't have to spend a lot to have fun. I've got plenty of conventional CAS shotguns, but just to be different I sometimes use this goofy single shot. Technically, it isn't legal for CAS due to the "exterior modification" in the form of the blunderbuss bell I added, but no one ever complains at the local level shoots.

SASS 47015

Last edited by Jbar4Ranch; February 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old February 10, 2010, 01:39 AM   #8
EdInk

LOL

It's like the old school marm's shotgun from the b&w movies.

Point it in the air at a 45 degree angle, pull the trigger with your eyes closed and an Italian fella' will fall off a horse 300yds away.

Congrats on that auction for the Vaquero. Good luck getting one now for anywhere near that price.

I know it's being fussy but, I wouldn't be satisfied with anything besides another SS New Vaquero. What kind of TV cowboy would have guns that don't match? I wish it was possible to do it with a single revolver. Didn't most real cowboys only have one revolver? (Tell me about that Working Cowboy event you were talking about JBar)

Oh well, I guess maybe in another year when I can buy the equipment, I might take it up.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Jbar4Ranch

The Working Cowboy class isn't recognized by SASS, but it's offered by some clubs at the local level. One revolver, rifle, and shotgun, but I've also heard of just one revolver and a rifle too. Other than that, it's shot the same as any other class. Like Hawg said, you could also shoot the standard classes with one revolver and reload on the clock too.

For me, this game is about fun. I'm competitive with conventional guns, but I like showing up with that goofy single shot shotgun and my Spencer too. Then my stage times go from 30 seconds to over 100 seconds!

SASS 47015
Old February 10, 2010, 11:00 AM   #10
horseman308

I've thought a lot lately about getting into it in the next year or two. I got a Remmy 1858 for Christmas this year and want to shoot the frontiersman category. I don't know whether you are allowed to do this, but you could get a used cap-and-ball as your 2nd revolver. You could probably find a used 1851 navy for around $175 or so. Just a thought.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Jbar4Ranch

Nope, nothing wrong with using mixed guns like that.

"There are no smokeless powder categories"

Meaning black powder is legal in every category, but smokeless powder isn't legal in all categories - there are black powder only classes, but there are NO smokeless powder only categories.

There used to be a Modern class, the main defining requirement being that at least one of your revolvers had to have adjustable sights. I'd sometimes shoot Modern with a pair of adj sighted Ruger Old Armies.

SASS 47015
Old February 10, 2010, 11:27 AM   #12
EdInk

I may just try it anyway. Thanks guys. Do you think if I showed up somebody would let me borrow/rent the rifle and shotgun before I spend the money to see if I like it? Most of them seem like nice (albeit a little silly at times) people.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Jbar4Ranch

Oh yeah, definitely! This is one shooting sport where loaning guns to new shooters at a match is almost a side match in itself. In fact, it would be highly recommended to try out as many you could before making a decision.

"A little silly?"

Check out my B Western persona!

Or my Union Suit.

SASS 47015
Old February 10, 2010, 05:03 PM   #14
EdInk

I didn't know cowboys wore Dockers. The union suit is awesome. I just hope there's no flap in back. Seriously, I would hope either costume MORE than sufficient. Some of the people I've seen look like the result of a drunken night between Monty Montana and Liberace. Can you dress up like a saloon keeper or undertaker, instead of a regular cowboy?
Old February 10, 2010, 07:39 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

Any old west character is approriate. You don't have to wear cowboy boots and a felt hat. Dr, Lawyer, Indian Chief, Bank President, Gambler, Sheriff, Town Marshal, Blacksmith, Bar Tender, Train Conductor, Mortician, Swamper, etc., etc., ........................ ad infinitum. For SASS, you just gotta have two pistols, a rifle & a shotgun; although you can get by at most local matches with only one pistol.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 11, 2010, 09:50 AM   #16
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInk
Some of the people I've seen look like the result of a drunken night between Monty Montana and Liberace.
That's exactly what B-Western is supposed to look like!

SASS 47015
Old February 11, 2010, 10:00 AM   #17
ZeSpectre

All of the advice above is great, but they neglect the other VERY IMPORTANT item.... a gun cart with an umbrella for shade!

You can do without but it's ZERO fun that way.
Old February 11, 2010, 07:57 PM   #18
Delmar

Quote:
Oh yeah, definitely! This is one shooting sport where loaning guns to new shooters at a match is almost a side match in itself. In fact, it would be highly recommended to try out as many you could before making a decision.
That has been my experience as well. A guy I never met before loaned me all of his guns to shoot my first time. even provided me with ammo! Find out where they are meeting and show up. I bet you won't go home without shooting!