The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 9, 2000, 06:44 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Picked up an (obviously) used Rem model 29 (S/N = 23XXX = appears to have been around the block a few times) pump 12 ga shotgun recently (= cheap & won't dare tell the price ) ...

Dad was checking it out (on vaca & an ex National Armed Forces Skeet Champion - circa ? 1953 ?) ...

Anyway, he was thrown back into the olden days (a pretty nifty thing to see, BTW )....

He'd mentioned something along the lines of having a Rem M10 ...

... any feedback, etc. re either one of these old shooters?

Dad would appreciate it (as would I - it is nice to see that light shine again re "the olden days" ... )

Cross-posted in "Research" & "shotguns" just for the hell of it ... would be nice to know.
Old September 10, 2000, 02:08 AM   #2
Gunslinger

labgrade, nice feeling, uh?
I'm not sure which you are inquiring about...or both...but here....
The model 10 was available in 12 gauge only and manufactured from 1907 until 1929. It was offered with up to a 32 inch full choke barrel. The model 29 appears to have been it's replacement with production beginning the same year as it's end, 1929, and lasting until 1933. Your father had a good eye in recognizing it successor. The model 29 was a five shot, bottom ejector with either a solid or vent rib barrel. It saw relatively limited production of only 24,000 examples during it's production period. It to was available with a 32 inch barrel.
It might be time to head out to the local trap range to "test" the old jewel.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!