The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 19, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1
phatspeed7x

Bought me a K98 mauser.

Last friday I went to my local gun shop, and asked them if they could order me a mauser K98 from centerfire systems. They were selling it with a ATI synthectic stock already installed for only $149.97. He placed the order, and Yesterday I picked it up. The action was in very good shape, no rust in the bore, rifling was still very good, and that stock looks sweet. I took it home, and shot a couple of rounds. Very nice bolt-action rifle.
Old November 20, 2005, 12:03 AM   #2
Toney

Congrats on the new mauser!!!
Old November 20, 2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Scout Sniper

I'm thinking of getting on of those. How do you like after firing it? what kind of groups?

"The deadliest thing on the Battle-Field, is one well aimed shot." :GySgt. Carlos Hathcock II

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." :Ernest Hemingway
Old November 21, 2005, 02:28 PM   #4
kentucky_smith

I live 30 minutes from Centerfire. Decided to pick one of these up for backup/atv/truck gun during deer season.

I'm pleasantly surprised by it. The stock doesn't contact the barrel anywhere, it's pretty well floating. The bore and rifling in this thing were in great shape.

Yesterday it shot a coyote at about 200 yards with hand-loaded ammo.

I shot some commercial and handloads at the range with it. Commercial wasn't bad, but dropped a lot at 200 yards. I could hit a paper plate at 200 3 times with it, which to me is good enough.

Might get a good scope for it. Right now it's got a tasco 3x9x40 that I took off my .22!

For $149, I'm tickled with it.