The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 28, 2012, 07:50 PM   #26
MLeake

jmhyer, it's nice living in states that don't have those, isn't it?

But yes, that's what a purchase permit is. We don't have them in MO. They do have them in IL, NY, and various other states - surprisingly enough, to include MN and NC.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:03 PM   #27
zxcvbob

1. You can purchase from a private party w/o a permit.
  2. See if the Sheriff is more accommodating (he wants you to vote for him)
  3. Go home and visit your mom for day or two; apply for a permit while you're there. She can mail it to you.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:07 PM   #28
orionengnr

Quote:
I probably just wont get it. Which is sad, but it's my choice.
There. Fixed it for you.

I have had more than my share of addresses in the last 30 years. If I were to count 'em up, probably averaged a move once every two years (or more). Thankfully, that trend has curved well downward in the last ten years...as it will eventually in yours.

A number of circumstances has made it abundantly clear to me that having a driver's license with a current address is a legal requirement in most places, and a really good idea everywhere.

Yes, it's a PITB, and it shouldn't be that way. But life will throw you some curves. You can step up to the plate, or you can take your mitt and go home, bitching all the way.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:22 PM   #29
Drummer101

Private party rules less I have a permit https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...at.624.7132.1:
624.7132 REPORT OF TRANSFER.

Subdivision 1.Required information. Except as provided in this section and section 624.7131, every person who agrees to transfer a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon shall report the following information in writing to the chief of police of the organized full-time police department of the municipality where the proposed transferee resides or to the appropriate county sheriff if there is no such local chief of police:
(1) the name, residence, telephone number, and driver's license number or nonqualification certificate number, if any, of the proposed transferee;

(2) the sex, date of birth, height, weight, and color of eyes, and distinguishing physical characteristics, if any, of the proposed transferee;

(3) a statement that the proposed transferee authorizes the release to the local police authority of commitment information about the proposed transferee maintained by the commissioner of human services, to the extent that the information relates to the proposed transferee's eligibility to possess a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon under section 624.713, subdivision 1;

(4) a statement by the proposed transferee that the transferee is not prohibited by section 624.713 from possessing a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon; and

(5) the address of the place of business of the transferor.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:43 PM   #30
youngunz4life

if you are stubborn about the license....get the new license. they will take your other one if they remember.

here is the kicker and it is legal. they will not cancel your license from the other state. it is valid until it expires. you would be being dishonest IF you renewed it from the wrong address, but it seems that address won't be changing. and by the way, you can a month later pay the fee for them to send you another license because it won't have been cancelled. IT IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CANCEL YOUR OLD LICENSE AND THEY WILL NOT DO THIS. THEY MIGHT TAKE YOUR HARDCOPY BUT THE LICENSE IS STILL VALID AND 100% LEGAL. YOU CAN'T RENEW IF IT ISN'T CORRECT ADDRESS BUT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO PAY THE FEE AND RECEIVE A SEPARATE HARDCOPY.

***********IF DIFFERENT COUNTY, SAME STATE. UPDATE THE LICENSE ADDRESS AND GET NEW LICENSE AND THEN YOUR CCW. WHEN YOUR ADDRESS CHANGES BACK DO THE SAME THING TO REFIX YOUR LICENSE. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THIS STOP WASTING THEIR TIME. YOUR ADDRESS IS INCORRECT ON THE LICENSE.
Old June 28, 2012, 08:48 PM   #31
Drummer101

This is not carry. This is only purchase.

I talked to my dad and he said I can not change my address due to insurance and loans and things.

But I am going to talk the sheriff tomorrow (who has more power).

I am going to bring my utility bills, internet, and lease agreement.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:26 PM   #32
jmhyer

Yes, go talk to the sheriff. Be courteous and respectful. Can't hurt anything and he may be sympathetic and want to help you. Otherwise, it looks like you'll have to wait while you look for a private sale near your current location.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:42 PM   #33
Drummer101

Private sale still means going back to the cities.

But hopefully there are no issues tomorrow.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:28 PM   #34
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Push comes to shove I will get someone else to buy it for me and get it off of them. It would not be a straw purchase because I am legally able to buy it in the first place.
You're missing the point here. The law regarding a straw purchase has nothing to do with the legal eligibility (or lack thereof) of the recipient. It states that your friend would be committing a crime if he lies about being the actual buyer of the firearm.

Get your license changed. Or don't. In any case, we do not discuss criminal activity here.
Old June 29, 2012, 05:54 AM   #35
Manson

You can't have it both ways. You can't maintain a residence in one place and ask for a permit to purchase in another. Period. The sheriff is correct.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:07 AM   #36
flintshooter

Your address does not appear on your Passport. Having a valid drivers license from 2 different states is a real bad idea especially if the have reciprocity in the non resident violator compact, even more so if you are a commercial driver. (I know, OP is not talking about 2 diff states). Better to just follow the rules and not risk future ability to purchase firearms. In most states, you can't buy a vehicle unless your license reflects your current address.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:07 AM   #37
dcobler

Now I dont have to have a purchase permit to buy a firearm here but in OK your address has to be current with the DMV regardless of what your reason for moving is. With that being said, when I had made frequent moves in the past I had to go to the DMV each time and update my address but it is up to me whether I get a new license.

The only problem there is when I want to purchase a new firearm. Thats when your address on your license has to be updated in which case I have to shell out the cash to get a new license in order to buy a firearm.

As to your specific situation, it is just my opinion but I think you and your father may have things a little backwards. Your claiming the "Student" status absolves you of needing to update your address and your father is claiming that insurance coverages and loans absolve you of needing to update your address.
As far as any insurance company or loan officer I have ever worked with they would not have a problem with the address being changed BECAUSE of my student status.

Pretty much, keeping your address updated on your license is one of those added requirements we enjoy as gun owners wishing to continue purchases.

Of course that is just my opinion and my personal experience. By the way, I once missed out on buying a rifle I was wanting because I had to go get my license updated before I could purchase. Who knew that being away from the store for 30 minutes would allow someone else to grab it up. I actually walked back in the store while they were calling his purchase in.

Last edited by dcobler; June 29, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:11 AM   #38
jmhyer

I still don't really understand all this. Where his parents live and where he lives are still in the same state. Correct? You mean to tell me that it's up to counties/municipalities individually to decide who gets a "purchase permit"? Seems like there shouldn't be a problem with getting this permit, as long as the residence discrepancy doesn't cross state lines.

Wow! All this beauracracy to wade through before you can even exercise your constitutional right...which you should be able to do at will or whim?! Makes me love my state even more!
Closed Thread