The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 17, 2010, 01:08 PM   #51
RemTim

Hawg, I hate to imagine my shooters walking off like that, much less 14 pistols. I am sorry for your loss. I hope your scumbag ex son in law gets what he deserves. A man's guns will always hold a special place in his heart. Your guns are like your friends and family, there's a special bond there.... I don't mean to get mushy. that's just messed up. I can't say what I mean here, due to polite company.

Last edited by RemTim; May 17, 2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:08 PM   #52
suzukibruce

i still dont get the wear on the cylinder though, the #'s on the gun match the cylinder so it's the original, and there isnt enough holster wear on the rest of the gun to explain it that way either... and i dont think its ever been fired, i took it completely appart and found zero rust and no powder residue anywhere either, not even in the chambers or nipples or in the hole in the middle where the rod goes... wierd....
Old May 17, 2010, 01:14 PM   #53
RemTim

SB, I'm glad you got your Lyman. If my financial timing wouldn't have been off, that purdy baby may have been in my arms.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:21 PM   #54
suzukibruce

remtim you got your post up before i finished my last...lol.. Hawg Haggen i feel for you about the loss, my grandfather was a belly gunner on a b17 in the 8th AF 390th bomber group rectangle "J" was his squadron. he was shot down over germany and he and the nivigator were the only survivors. as they were coming through the forrest they went down in they came across a nazi soldier on a machine gun in a nest. they drop to the ground and circle this guy, my grandfather gets to him first and cuts the guys throat from behind. he rolls him over i the guy was already dead and filled with holes. anyway the navigator takes the (mg34?) machine gun and my grandfather takes an artillery luger off the guy. well they comandeer a kubelwagon and head for allied territory, at some point they run over a land mine with this jeep and flip it. well to make a long story short he ships the gun to my grandmother. he then eventually passed it on to me and not my father (he's a left wing anti gun fruitloop) when i turned 21. well i had a roomate and when he moved out he helped himself to it. md state police recovered it but since i had no proof of the serial # or ownership they kept it. it's probably either 1, a box of paperclips now or 2, sitting in some captains gun cabinet... well Merle, my ex roomate, has a left eye that will always water (the joke is i made him cry, FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE...lol..) and i have a right hand that always bothers me when its cold out....

Last edited by suzukibruce; May 17, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:29 PM   #55
RemTim

SB, Hawg Haggen was the one with the loss. I lost a single shot shotgun when our house was broken into. No sentimental value there, never had an attachment to it. Merle sounds like a real work of art also, I'm glad you had the opportunity to get a little vengeance.
My gun heartbreaks in the past were from selling them when I should have kept them; we all know that feeling I am sure. Of course my heart is breaking when you are fondling that purdy '71 Lyman that should have been mine. Seriously, I hope you enjoy your Lyman.
There was a Lyman went thru GunBroker a few days ago (but after your auction ended), someone used the buy it now before the auction ended. It was made in 1960, the year I was born. It would have needed refinishing as it had some surface rust on one side of the frame barrel and cylinder; nothing big. I had planned on buying it. There will be more. I feel pretty safe buying these old Lyman Remmies sight unseen, the quality seems to be consistent.

Last edited by RemTim; May 17, 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:10 AM   #56
Hawg

Thanks guys. The bad part is about half of them I inherited when my dad died.
Good news is he's in jail on meth lab charges and this is his third strike so he's looking at 20 years.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:36 AM   #57
suzukibruce

good, thats right where he belongs.
Old May 18, 2010, 01:32 AM   #58
RemTim

Quote:
Good news is he's in jail on meth lab charges and this is his third strike so he's looking at 20 years.
I hope he is somebody's bitch!

SB, How do you like you Lyman? Are you satisfied with the quality?
Old May 18, 2010, 01:55 AM   #59
suzukibruce

she hasnt left my side since i got her... when i got home today i took a nap and when my girlfriend came home it was sitting at the door. she comes in and starts this 20 questions game with me and i never even thought it would be here so soon...lol... but i love it! been practicing draws since it showed up, i got this thing i am quite fond of doing with my ivers, i don't know the technical term for the type of draw but as i draw it from the holster i move my hand foward so the gun spins and as it comes around i can cock the hammer... i'm real good with it using my ivers but this beast is a bit less agile and the spring is hard...lol... but all in all i love it... no i'm not selling her but if i happen to die i'll make sure she goes to you, ok?
Old May 18, 2010, 02:05 AM   #60
RemTim

Quote:
no i'm not selling her but if i happen to die i'll make sure she goes to you, ok?
I didn't think you even consider selling it once you handled it. I was ribbing you earlier. Of course I would buy it it a heartbeat....

Last edited by RemTim; May 19, 2010 at 12:14 PM.