The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
zdotson

WTB: Lead shot for 12 gauge Shotgun!!!!

I am new to this reloading stuff so I am wanting to know where to get shotgun reloading supplies at the best prices!!! I am looking to reload some 12 gauge shotgun shells. I have 2 3/4 high brass and 3" hulls I am wanting to reload. I am looking for some 4 or 5 shot 1 1/4oz. Need 10lb bag or more!!! I am also wanting to try some BB loads. If you have any of these for sale or know where I could get it at a decent price I would greatly appreciate it.
Old December 6, 2009, 01:51 PM   #2
snuffy

Ummmmmmmmm--- it's available where ever they sell shotshell reloading supplies. The larger shot may be hard to find, so here's a link to a place that sells ALL sizes of any kind of shot you may want, including several types of non-toxic.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Also loading data, wads, primers, buffer, you name it, they've got it.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 6, 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
GP100man

Rotometals.com
Old December 6, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
zdotson

shotgun

Thanks guys!!!! Whats a good cheap kind of primers and powder to use?
Old December 6, 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
LHB1

I don't mean to be rude but your questions sound like someone who has NOT read/reviewed/studied a shotgun reloading manual. Suggest you do so before proceeding further. Loading shotgun shells is VERY different from loading rifle or pistol ammo. In shotgun shells, the type and weight of powder not only has to be in proper range for weight of shot being loaded BUT the total volume of powder, shot, and plastic wad have to fill the case to correct level for proper hull crimping. For that reason and for safety reasons, shotgun loading recipes are quoted for specific hull brand, type, inner base wad height, weight of shot, type and weight of powder, wad type, and primer type. You do NOT normally experiment or vary these recipes but use them AS IS. Please obtain and read a good shotgun reloading manual ASAP. Different load recipes are quoted for different hull brands/models/types. You will need a suitable quantity of the SAME BRAND and MODEL shotshells to match the quoted recipe. Mixing hull brands/types/models can cause problems unless you know which hulls will interchange and which will not. Until you learn otherwise, it is better to assume that different shotshells will NOT interchange using the same recipe. Shot is normally sold in 25 pound bags by shot size. If you don't already have one, MEC shotshell reloaders are excellent products. The MEC Jr is a good basic model and the MEC 650 is a better/faster model. Good luck with your shotshell reloading.

Last edited by LHB1; December 6, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old December 6, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
zdotson

shotgun

I am actually not the one reloading one of my friends is. I know nothing about reloading shotgun shells but my buddy is really good at it!!!! I was just looking for some place to buy some cheap lead shot,wads,powder, and primers for him. Best I can tell rotometal is going to be hard to beat the price of lead. Now Im looking for primer and powder for him.
Old December 6, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
I can tell rotometal is going to be hard to beat the price of lead. Now I'm looking for primer and powder for him.
So you think $44.75 for 25# is a good price? You'll save 25% if you shop locally at a gunshop. Rotometals is including shipping it that price, they're selling it 2 bags at a time, also.

Same goes for powder, wads, and primers. Powder and primers are considered haz-mat, the usual charge for that is $25.00 plus/BEFORE you even consider the price for the rest of the stuff.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 7, 2009, 02:03 AM   #8
olddrum1

It really helps to know where you are located to get advice on where to get shot, powder and primers. A lot of the ranges will have groups that get together to make a package buy of several tons of shot, primers and wads by the case.
Old December 7, 2009, 02:55 AM   #9
Randy 1911

As far as shot goes, a 25 lb. bag is the most common quanity of shot. Shot is very expensive to ship, so buy locally if you can.
Old December 7, 2009, 06:44 AM   #10
zdotson

I live about 20 mins West Plains. I am looking at buying the 50lb #4 shot for $89 shipped. I cant hardly find any reloading places around here if so they have there stuff marked up so high its not even funny. Going to check some pawn shops in a couple days and see what they have.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:01 AM   #11
thaddy1978

I got my 50lbs from wideners for $62 including shipping not long ago. And even better, I ordered #9 and they sent me #8. They refunded my shipping costs!! 50lbs for roughly $46 'twernt bad! Wideners is still cheaper than a lot of places I looked. I was at Cabelas in Wheeling the other day and their price on shot was about $37 a bag.