The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1
under_dawg

GP-100 forcing cone erosion??

I hope that ya'll can see the small lines that have appeared on my GP. Is something that should be of concern or is this normal wear? I've probably put about 2000 rounds through the gun with no hot loads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forcecone.JPG (117.4 KB, 166 views)
Old October 24, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Sturmgewehre

I don't see anything in that picture out of the ordinary, nor do I see any excessive erosion.
Old October 24, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

You mean the wee, tiny, small lines around the outside? Likely bits of lead and nothing to worry about.
Old October 25, 2008, 05:58 AM   #4
under_dawg

It's hard to see in the photo, but there are very small (for the lack of a better word) cracks that you can feel around the inner edge. Some are visable on this photo but are hard to see. They have a rough feel to them. I clean the gun every time I shoot it, and have never noticed them before. I usually pay special attention to this area because cleaning all the burnt powder is a real pain. I loaded up 20 158gr and 20 180gr XTPs last week with H-110 and Lil' Gun respectively. They were mid range loads. I then shot 50 rounds of 158gr lswc cowboy loads. Can excessive crimp cause too much pressure to build up and cause this? I checked the cases, and there were no signs of pressure. Primers were fine and there was no sticking. I have a Speed-Six that I don't shoot as often, and didn't notice the cracks on it. It may just be normal wear and tear.
Old October 25, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5
44Magnum

I do not see erosion. Those "cracks" really look a lot like lead. I sometimes have "cracks" appear on the front of my barrel after a lot of shooting. Have you tried a lead solvent, a brass brush, and some elbow grease?

It looks like you may have some lead buildup in the barrel as well, or is that just the lighting? It looks like the classic gray matte finish lead leaves behind.
Old October 25, 2008, 11:16 AM   #6
drail

I can tell you all about GP 100 forcing cone erosion because I really abused one when I first started reloading. Speer manual said 16 gr. blue dot under a 125 gr. JHP. After several hundred rounds of this the forcing cone looked like I took a oxy acetylene torch to it. Light bullets at max velocities will cause this in time. Yours looks like very minor erosion is beginning but I wouldn't worry yet. If you're shooting a lot of hot light bullets loads you might want to back off.
Old October 25, 2008, 03:05 PM   #7
thetoecutter

I am assuming that it looks something like this?

Am linking to the pics because to an old internet guy like me they are "big" files.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...3/IMG_3147.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...3/IMG_3148.jpg

This would some idea of what >3000 .44mag 180gr JHPs sitting on top of 30gr of WW296/H110 will do to the edge of the forcing cone of a Super Redhawk.

Am shooting lead now primarily (because its cheaper) but would still not hesitate to "erode" it further.

I am not an expert, just a guy that likes to shoot. I am not concerned by it, figure it is the way it is...

TTC
Old October 25, 2008, 04:58 PM   #8
under_dawg

Bingo! That's what it is beginning to look like. I hope those xtp's didn't do it. I'm shooting alot more low velocity lead now as well.
Old October 25, 2008, 06:11 PM   #9
44Magnum

If it looks like that then it is mild erosion after all.