The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 26, 2015, 06:58 AM   #51
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro
Even the most abbreviated military firearms training is head and shoulders above state requirements for licensees.
What military were you in, and which states are you referring to?

ANY state that has ANY requirement at all for training requires more than the US military. In my experience (US Army) typical handgun training takes less than 5 seconds, and consists of the armorer handing over the gun and saying "bullets go here, pull this to make it shoot".
Old May 26, 2015, 07:38 AM   #52
rickyrick

Some states require no training. Just a background check.

One state in which I have a license; the training required involved nothing about firearms.... Just anger management and legal mumbo-jumbo.

In the army I received quite a bit more training than any civilian licensing requirement.

Now since this is a constitutional right, why do we need training at all?
Old May 26, 2015, 10:17 AM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
One state in which I have a license; the training required involved nothing about firearms.... Just anger management and legal mumbo-jumbo.
Actually, if done right, I think this is probably the best "training" requirement for a CCW permit.

A lot of people are competent gun handlers and shooters, but not well versed in the "legal mumbo-jumbo", and THAT is something they need to learn in order to be a good CCW holder.

Knowing when you can shoot, and when you cannot, in the eyes of the law is something different from gun safety training, and not often well covered, if at all, in "safety" classes.

The most dangerous people are the ones that think they know what is right, when they actually do not.

Quote:
Now since this is a constitutional right, why do we need training at all?
In the broadest sense, everyone needs training before they know what they are doing.

What the issue is, is what kind or level of state mandated training, if any, is proper.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:08 AM   #54
rickyrick

Yes I was kinda sarcastic, I do agree with the legal training and anger management, deescalation or whatever title they put on it.

I do find it frustrating as to the inconsistency of it all.

State A: you walk into sheriffs office, fill out forms, get finger printed and two weeks later the permit is in the mailbox.... This is nice, but no training.

State B: a long costly process taking almost a year, requiring expensive classes.

State C: no permit required.

And anything in between

Some states make allowances for veterans.

Texas makes allowance for veterans under 21, and pays for it in reciprocity denial by other states, even though Texas is more stringent than many other states.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:19 AM   #55
CowTowner

Quote:
In my experience (US Army) typical handgun training takes less than 5 seconds, and consists of the armorer handing over the gun and saying "bullets go here, pull this to make it shoot".
My U.S. Army experience was much different. I was instructed in proper field stripping, cleaning and reassembly of the M1911A1 before I was allowed to see the bullets. We actually went to the range and qualified with the pistol as well. Grip, sight picture and trigger control were part of the training. This was 1976 so things very well could have changed.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy