The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Dwight

O/u 20g for quail, turkey, and trap/skeet?

After a couple of quail hunts, a turkey hunt, and a number of trips to the trap/skeet range, I'd like to buy my own shotgun. Don't have the budget for multiple guns so wondered if an o/u 20g would work for all 3 uses, assuming you can account for variations with each using chokes and different type shells? Have seen plenty say a 20g works fine for quail and trap/skeet but haven't seen anything re. turkey. Also, after reading forum posts here and elsewhere, have an interest in a Beretta Silver Pigeon 20g w/ 28 inch b. as being that gun.

So, would appreciate input on the use of a 20g o/u for quail, turkey, and skeet, and, would appreciate views on Beretta Silver Pigeon as the gun to go with.

Thank you.

Last edited by Dwight; February 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old February 9, 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Dwight

One last comment

Re. the choice of the Beretta, I've appreciated advice elsewhere on the need to try particular guns and go with one that feels right, etc. Working on that now. But wondered if there's a make/model that really stands out as a competitor for my interests (quail, turkey/t&s).
Old February 9, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
darkroommike

Wow, don't have money for multiple guns, yet you speak here of buying a pigeon grade Beretta, a two thousand dollar shotgun. For that money I could have a 12g Remington 870 for turkey, a Remington 1100 for trap, and a Remington 870 20g for upland shooting.

I'm not saying that the Beretta isn't a lovely gun, but it's tough to find one gun, any one gun, that can do all things equally well, and I guess since I grew up around pump shotguns, I look to pump shotguns first.
Old February 9, 2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Dwight

Good point!

I hear what you're saying about the budget - one more exp vs. several less exp. I think I was thinking, if I get one quality gun that lasts for multi-purpose, it would be a lot simpler. Will open my mind! Thx.
Old February 9, 2014, 12:15 PM   #5
myfriendis410

The Silver Pigeon is the entry level shotgun in the O/U line offered by Beretta. As such it's a wonderful gun; excellent design, good metallurgy, ergonomic etc. The 20 ga. itself is fine for most shooting except perhaps long range turkey hunting or handicap trap. The guns are usually pretty tight and can benefit from a little attention by a gunsmith to smooth things up a bit. You might also look at the Browning and the new Winchester 101, if they offer the 101 in 20 ga. Both solid designs with a long history behind them.

Sure; you can buy three pump guns to do all you want but there's just something about a properly fitted O/U that nothing else can match.
Old February 9, 2014, 02:39 PM   #6
BigJimP

Beretta and Browning give you the most gun for your money in O/U's ...in the Browning line its the Citori Lightning series / Beeretta silver pigeon.../ both field guns....

Stay with a 12ga / not the 20ga in my view.....the traditional load for a 20ga is 7/8 oz ....and its easy to find 7/8 oz loads for a 12ga / so the 12ga lets you go heavier for Turkey and lighter for upland birds...as one gague that will do it all ( In fact there are more loads available in 3/4 oz for the 12ga now as well - which is a traditional 28ga load ).

The only factor against a 12ga -- over a 20ga -- may be weight / in general, the 12ga versions are a little heavier -- but that may or may not be a factor for you ...and weight is your friend in terms of reducing recoil - and will be much better on clay target fields. ( and yes, find a gun with changeable screw in chokes )...will make it do everything pretty well.

In my O/U's ...in chokes ...I carry a pair of Skeet, a pair of Imp Cyc, a pair of Mod, 1 Imp Mod, 1 Full ( the other 6 into a pouch in my vest ).
Old February 9, 2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Dwight

Thank you. The nod toward a 12g is helpful. I knew there was flexibility provided by different loads but didn't know the 12 could go light enough not to tear up quail. And you resolved the issue myfriendis410 raised about a 20g not being so good for a longer shot with a turkey (we're talking range here, not my aim).

I shot a Beretta 20g w/ a 28 in. bar. today at the skeet range and it felt very light so the additional weight shouldn't be a problem. I'll see if I can rent a 12g next time I go.

I appreciate your help.
Old February 9, 2014, 07:21 PM   #8
zippy13

Like my friend, Big Jim, I'm wondering why you want a 20-ga. Since you'll be going after turkeys and shooting trap, you may find a 20-ga limited. You can shoot 20-ga equivalent loads in a 12-ga gun, but you can't match heavy (turkey) 12-ga loads in a 20-ga gun.

Many years ago I bought my first shotgun, a 20-ga, and I regretted it very soon. I would have been better served with a 12-ga. I learned my lesson and all of my guns are now 12-ga. All of my O/Us, but one (Beretta 682x trap), have tube sets for the smaller gauges.
Old February 9, 2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Dwight

Thanks, Zippy13. You guys have me already looking around at prices on the 12g!
Old February 10, 2014, 10:35 AM   #10
eastbank

buy a good 12ga shotgun of your choice and a mec 9000-G and load from 3/4oz-7/8oz-1oz-1-1/8oz-1-1/4oz-1-1/2oz and buy your turkey loads as you will not need to many of them. eastbank.