The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 12, 2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Uncle Billy

Spotting scopes

I need a new spotting scope, one that will focus close enough to see .22 caliber holes at 50 feet and have enough magnification to see .22 caliber holes at 100 yards. Can anyone recommend one that's reasonably priced?
Old July 12, 2009, 08:43 PM   #2
CortJestir

I just bought this Leupold Sequoia Windriver 15-45x60mm kit after concluding my research. I just took it to the range for the first time this week and I am very impressed with its performance.

.22 cailber holes at 50 yards are not a problem. I have not yet had the chance to take it out to 100 yards, but I foresee no issue discriminating .22 holes at that range either. The picture is clear and bright at 50 yards and eye relief is good. It's good glass for the money.

The kit's nice - the protective case is handy, but the tripod leaves something left to be desired. I'll probably replace it with a good pole-type tripod at some point.

I paid $220 for the kit on eBay NIB. A pretty good deal. OpticsPlanet has them for $264 (without case and tripod).
Old July 13, 2009, 04:37 AM   #3
Dallas Jack

Take a look at the Burris Landmark 15-45x60mm. I think I paid around $170.00 for mine and it has no problem seeing .22 caliber holes at 100 yards. Just for a quick test I looked though it at my security keypad at about 30 feet. I had no problems reading the small print.

Another scope I looked at was a Winchester. I do not know who makes them but they had very clear optics. The Bushnells are also worth looking at for an inexspensive spotting scope.

It is best for you to take your time and look though any scope you are considering. If you get one that puts a strain on your eyes it will give you headaches. Good luck in your search.
Dallas Jack
Old July 13, 2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Uncle Billy

Thanks, guys, for the information. I was up against it: either get a good spotting scope or trade my .22 Hornet for something that makes half-inch holes that my antique eyes can see.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
oneounceload

You might also try using the shoot-n-c target from Birchwood Casey that make the yellow splotch around each hole - made it easier for me to see 100 yard shots, and I have a 30X spotting scope
Old July 14, 2009, 07:17 AM   #6
fineredmist

I have found that using targets with red or orange bulls makes seeing .22 cal holes a lot easier.