The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2000, 11:41 AM   #1
STEVE M

Just got the Baretta and would like to add a side saddle to it. Anyone know of one made for it?
Old March 15, 2000, 01:33 PM   #2
five-0
Retired Screen Name

Since it's recoil operated, it may inhibit reliably. I'm thinking of buying one myself. I wish it had an 18" barrel option though.
Old March 15, 2000, 02:06 PM   #3
General Tso

I beleive they are available. I seem to recall seeing the Gunsite custom 1201's with them and my local PD uses the 1201 and I think they also have them.

Try Tacstar or check out Gunsites web page maybe. Gunsite doesn't curently show the 1201 mods but they may still have some info on them. Tacstar Side saddles are carried by quite a few places but I'm having a brain cramp as to who right now. Maybe try a search on "Side Saddle" or "Tacstar".

Old March 15, 2000, 07:47 PM   #4
gunmart

no one makes one but your gun has a aluminum receiver.aluminum receiver guns like the benneli and the beretta's will squeeze the internals when you install a side saddle.however there is two cures.
1.get the tacstar for the remington and a large peice of dbl adhesive velcro.(about the side of the receiver)then mount one side to the receiver and the other to the sidesaddle.
i like this better because i can remove it quickly for hunting
2.you can put on a butt cuff on the rear stock.the best one is made by bear tooth.it is neopreme like a wet suit and clings to the stock like nobodys business.it also gives you a bit of cushion on your cheek.i really like mine.
Old March 15, 2000, 09:48 PM   #5
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

I've also got a 1201. Its been worked over by Ted Smith (Gunsite) with their Police Shotfun Mods. These usually include a side saddle, however I expressly told Ted to leave that off. Researching that mod I discovered that there is a posibility, with certain loads (nondefined) that it might inhibit cycleing of the bolt... not something I wanted to take a chance with on a "tactical" Shotfun.

Like Gunmart said... get a Buttcuff or even a Sling that holds cartridges. Or if you want to go all out get one of those "loaders" that keeps extra shells and carry that on your belt.
Old March 15, 2000, 10:10 PM   #6
Daniel Watters

The Sidesaddle for the Benelli M1 Super 90 can be used on the Beretta 1201FP3; however, the inner radius of the mounting plate's upper and lower tangs has to be recontoured for a flush fit against the Beretta receiver. If this isn't done, the Sidesaddle bows out a 1/4" or so at the front.

As for the mounting of the Sidesaddle squeezing the receiver, there is a simple solution: Don't torque down the mounting screw! Just turn the screw far enough through the mounting plate that the supplied nut will fit over it. Check for uninhibited cycling of the bolt, then use LockTite on the nut to prevent everything from unscrewing.

My Beretta 1201FP3 reliably cycles 1 oz./3 Dram loads with both the magazine tube and Sidesaddle fully loaded.
Old March 16, 2000, 01:29 AM   #7
gunmart

we have seen 3 case in shotgun classes were the sidesaddles on benelli and beretta were screwed on lightly or just snug only to see them falling of somewhere around 200 rounds.
Old March 16, 2000, 08:51 AM   #8
STEVE M

Thanks guys, it sounds like I'll be looking for one make for the Benelli. I don't like the butt-cuffs on SG's (personal pref.)and am not worried about reliability since I plan on only 3-4 shells in it anyway. With the magazine payload I just want the side-saddle for alternate ammo.