The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 23, 1999, 06:50 PM   #1
pete80

Any first hand experience or information on this shotgun? Just handled one at the shop and loved it, priced well below the benelli's (which I like!)
Old August 23, 1999, 08:14 PM   #2
Mike Baugh

I had one that a friend talked me out of that really impressed me . I let him shoot it and he sold his Benelli 121 M1 to buy it . Good luck , Mike...
Old August 23, 1999, 09:32 PM   #3
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Pete,

Don't know what a 1201 Riot Gun exactly is but I've owned a Beretta 1201FP for about 5 years now. Upon delivery I immediately sent it off to Ted Yost @ Gunsite for a Gunsite Police Shotgun workover.

This consisted of shorting the barrel to a RCH over legal length, trigger job, shorting the stock, MMC Ghostring Rear sight and Tritium front and lightening the bolt release.

This has to be one of my favorite firearms. Quick to mount, fast to swing, easy to shot. The only problem I have with it is that my wife declared it hers after she fired it.

While at a gunshow this weekend I saw a 1201 that had a factory Ghostring sight. If this is the "Riot" Gun you speak of I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old August 24, 1999, 01:02 PM   #4
pete80

Yes, that is the one! The Beretta 1201FP. I wasn't sure of the two letters in the model name. It did go to shoulder very quickly and it seemed very sturdy and well built. Thanks for the info!
Old August 24, 1999, 01:03 PM   #5
pete80

Yes, that is the one! The Beretta 1201FP. I wasn't sure of the two letters in the model name. It did go to shoulder very quickly and it seemed very sturdy and well built. Thanks for the info!

p.s. can you install a side saddle or Sure-Fire Tactical light on this shotgun?
Old August 24, 1999, 07:11 PM   #6
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

You can install either... however I've hve a report of tolerance stacking of the 1201 that the installation of a side saddle may cause. It doesn't put the gun out of service but precludes you from topping it off until you run it dry. If I can find the e-mail about this I'll forward it to ya.

I talked to Sure-Fire about a Tactiacl Light foreend for the 1201 and I unless I disremembered they said they make one. Only at the time I couldn't affort it so I never followed up.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited August 24, 1999).]
Old August 24, 1999, 10:52 PM   #7
Sierra

The local County Sheriff's office replaced all of their 870's with the 1201FP. They dumped them six months later. Much breakage; to severe recoil (the Beretta is quite light) and they simply could not take the abuse of the 870. They purchased 200 new 870's and sold off the 1201's for $189.00 each.