The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Double Naught Spy

First Hog 2-fer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LqjP...ature=youtu.be

I went out last Friday afternoon after the ice storm dumped about 3" of ice on us and made the 3.5 hour trek to my place 50 miles away to hunt. Turned out to be a short hunt only about 15 minutes long. First I spied a few deer and then came across this group of hogs huddled up together...

Video has some close-ups of the wounds that some folks may not appreciate, but they are to document the terminal ballistics of the 123 gr. 6.5 Grendel Hornady SST I was using.

These are the 3rd and 4th hogs I have taken with the 6.5 SST and the round seems like a good one for the purpose. The bullet did not hold up that well going all the way through a skull on one hogs, shoulder blade, and then thoracic vertebrae on the other, but it certainly didn't the job.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; December 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old December 8, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
tmlynch

I thought the .308 was your death stick for pigs.

Congrats on the new caliber! It is always fun to add gear.

Tom
Old December 9, 2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Panfisher

It went through a pigs head with enough left over to kill a second pig. Sounds like it did OK to me. Not that it will matter but just curious were you trying to take two with one shot or it just worked out that way? Either way well done, and if it was planned even more well doner.
Old December 9, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
shortwave

Looks like an efficient enough round to get the job done.

Also, the vid. was very well done.

Thanks for sharing DNS.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Not that it will matter but just curious were you trying to take two with one shot or it just worked out that way?
No. I was trying for 6.

I did want two and I wanted the one that walked up to walk a bit further in front so that it would have a better possibility of a head-head shot. That didn't happen. It stopped, but was in a good spot for a reasonable attempt. What I did not count on was the fragmentation.

The previous hog I shot a few days earlier was at 175 yards and the shot was a through and through and the exit hole looked to be about the right size for an expanded 6.5. So I knew the potential was there for a double and the hogs were all bunched up nice and tight.

Of course, the previous shot didn't go through skull either. Here is the vid for that. Really, everything salient is in the last 30 seconds if you want to skip ahead. This was shot with my old Pulsar N550 scope just before dark. The image in the scopes really is better than what comes out on video and I had properly identified my target even if it is hard to see...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34G3b...ature=youtu.be
Old December 15, 2013, 03:28 AM   #6
Keg

Awesome DNS! I like the round and rifle....