The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2014, 10:30 AM   #1
ahab52

1911 extraction problem

Thanks in advance for any help. I bought a p14 used and have been having extraction problems lately. On around the 6-8 round the shell wont extract. I am using factory 14 rd mags with arrendo extensions. It also has a ported barrel. I don't know enough to be able to diagnose the problem and there are no gunsmiths in my area to take it to believe me I've looked. So could it be the extractor, recoil spring, mag? any help is appreciated.
Old November 29, 2014, 10:42 AM   #2
riflemen

Has it always happened since you bought it or is this a new problem, How many rounds have you fired with that recoil spring, I change them often {flat ones less often}. Where are the rounds being ejected, how far...

Does the slide lock back on an empty mag? Your spring can be too stiff for the ammo, worn, could be the mag, could be the ammo, could be extractor, do you have more ammo and mags you can try?
Old November 29, 2014, 11:42 AM   #3
ahab52

came with 10 rd mags and would have extacation issues but not nearly what im having now. No idea how much it was shot before i bought it. The guy i bought it for his safe and never shot it. i have put around 750 through it. Recomendation on spring weight? Wasn't sure what to use due to the porting.
Old November 29, 2014, 12:39 PM   #4
DAVID NANCARROW

I guess first things first. Try a detail strip of the slide, take the extractor out of the tunnel and scrub the extractor tunnel completely clean. I found the easiest way to scrub it is with a 22 caliber bronze brush and twist it through.

Check to see if the nose of the extractor is striking the barrel-it may be too long at the nose.

If that doesn't solve the issue, a new extractor, properly tensioned and fitted would be in order.

If you are using factory power cartridges, a 16 pound recoil spring would be a good starting point. Because its used and you don't really know what the original owner has done to it, a fresh spring would be wise.
Old November 29, 2014, 12:55 PM   #5
riflemen

A agree 750 rnds, time to do a thorough cleaning, clean and inspect the extractor, lube it all up, and install a new spring, depending on the round between 16-18 would be good, maybe consider a wilson flat coil, I like them a lot for most shooters, the kit comes with a shok buff and guide, I think the last one I bought was under $30...
Old November 29, 2014, 02:35 PM   #6
ahab52

thanks for all the help guys
Old November 29, 2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

First things first: Is this an old-style P14.45, with a conventional 1911 extractor; is it a 2000-era PXT 14.45 with Para's Power Extractor (if so, it will say PXT on the slide, and there should be an extra X in the serial number); or is it a recent P14.45 with the new, proprietary EGW extractor?

Second, have you tested the extractor with the shake test? If not, remove the slide from the pistol, and remove the barrel from the slide. Insert a loaded round into the slide, with the rim under the extractor to hold the round in the firing position. Shake the slide. The extractor should hold the case tightly enough to be able to withstand moderate shaking. If it won't, or if the round falls out if you just look at it cross-eyed, the extractor either needs to be tuned or replaced. (If you want to be more scientific, Brownells sells a set of extractor tension gauges that work with a trigger scale: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod16125.aspx )

The standard 1911-style extractor and the new EGW extractor can be tuned. The PXT Power Extractor cannot be tuned. Cleaning may (or may not) help a PXT. If not, the new EGW replaces the PXT.

The recoil spring should be a 16-pound. You might try a 14-pound but, IMHO, the porting doesn't affect the recoil spring. It's the same cartridge, pushing the same bullet with the same amount of powder. The porting just (supposedly, but I doubt it) reduces muzzle flip.
Old December 1, 2014, 07:10 PM   #8
OverPressure

Extractor Tuning

This might help you out a little bit. I have two 1911's and both of them
started giving me extraction problems. The hook portion of the extractors
edge ,clean sharp edge is important. I tried honing the tips and manually
bending the extractor for tension and wasn't successful.

I purchased the Weigand extractor tuner and replaced both extractors and
have been trouble free for thousands of rds in each pistol.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...tor_Adjustment

Last edited by OverPressure; December 1, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:07 PM   #9
ahab52

When I stripped it to clean everything the tip of the extractor def looks worn and rounded. ordering a new one after xmas.

Tags
1911 extractor