The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 7, 2013, 09:00 AM   #51
wogpotter

Quote:
The Walther is a 32...the Beretta was a 380...
Fraid not. The Beretta was a .25 so the 7.62 (.32) walther was a bigger cartridge!
Other JB gungoofs:
Dr No:
The Geologist faking samples for Dr No sneaks into the mountaintop villa where Bond is waiting for him. He fires 5 rounds from a 1911 Colt & bond says "Thats a Smith & Wesson & you've had your 5". The 1911 goes *click* & bond kills him with the supressed PPK.

Live & let die:
On Quarrel Jr's boat Rosy sneaks up behind Quarrel when Bond is fishing off the stern & points the Smith Distingushed Combat Magnuim at his back. Bond says She's not competent, but she has other redeeming features. If only she'd remembered to take the safety catch off"!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; July 7, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:01 AM   #52
SgtLumpy

That shooting clays reminds me.
I think it was on Hawaii Five-0 a million years ago...

Group is shooting skeet from the stern of their yacht. Bad guys shoot, do pretty well. They challenge the visiting cop to shoot. He says PULL and rapidly downs three clays in a row, each one of them giving that "Peeeyowng" ricochet sound like in the cowboy movies. I guess the intent was that if you shot and it made that sound, you were a better shot than if it just busted the clay.

Of course 5-0 was also famous for that screeching tire sound when their black Lincoln came to a stop on a gravel road.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 7, 2013, 11:06 AM   #53
Quincunx

He fires 5 rounds from a 1911 Colt & Bond says "That's a Smith & Wesson & you've had your 5".

Six, not five.
Old July 7, 2013, 04:13 PM   #54
Boomer58cal

Dirty Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

The best movie line ever

Boomer
Old July 7, 2013, 05:11 PM   #55
tekarra

Many years ago on McCloud, the chief pulls out his model 36 S&W and tells McCloud the safety catch is broken!
Old July 7, 2013, 05:13 PM   #56
MaDMaXX

It's funny that movies/tv shows basically run off a general public knowledge level.

By that i mean, no one back when these shows were on, would have any idea that revolvers don't have safeties...
Old July 7, 2013, 06:42 PM   #57
t4terrific

Goofy Movie Gun Lines?

When Riggs says, "I've even got a special one for the occasion. One with a hollow point so it blows the back of my God damn head off!", he holds up a 9mm FMJ to show Murtaugh his "hollow point".
Old July 7, 2013, 10:40 PM   #58
chadio

Tombstone...

"Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand me?"

Ok, not really goofy, just bad-ass

Last edited by chadio; July 8, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 8, 2013, 12:14 AM   #59
BigTex308

Re: Goofy Movie Gun Lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadio View Post
"Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I make your head into a canoe, you understand me?"

Ok, no really goofy, just bad-ass
I know that quote! Can't remember the movie though. Which one is it?

I wanna say a John Wayne movie??

Ike
Old July 8, 2013, 12:26 AM   #60
MaDMaXX

It's Tombstone, per his post title
Old July 8, 2013, 12:49 AM   #61
BigTex308

Re: Goofy Movie Gun Lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX View Post
It's Tombstone, per his post title
I feel like a genius lol

Ike
Old July 8, 2013, 01:02 AM   #62
Chris9472

1. How about all the movies where we must see close-ups of slides being racked before going into battle or killing someone? Wouldn't it have been wiser to take care of that beforehand? In a few movies, I've actually seen them racking the slides more then once before the fight just in case we didn't think it was cool enough the first time, which in reality would have just ejected the unfired shell.

2. How about guns being fired inside of enclosed vehicles without the slightest flinching or concern about hearing damage?

3. How about lever-action rifles and other gun types being used in certain Westerns many years before they were ever invented? Or the people in Westerns shooting their revolvers in a forward, throwing motion, as if doing that will somehow make the bullet come out harder?

4. How about the double-barreled shotgun that can fire the mysterious, third shot?

5. How about a hit from a .357mag sending some poor hapless soul 15 feet clear across and into a swimming pool?

6. How about the guys with the two 1911's in his hands who can always hit spot-on while doing amazing acrobatics in the air or rolling along the ground?

7. How about that episode of Columbo (or was it Cannon?), where he takes out a helicopter with his .38spl snubbie?

Yes, Hollyweird is really quite sad. The best thing we can do is to turn off the TV and go out and shoot some more!

Last edited by Chris9472; July 8, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old July 8, 2013, 01:17 AM   #63
dakota.potts

There was a scene in a Bond movie (not sure which one) where Bond has what appears to be a Walther sniper rifle. I think it's this one: http://www.jamesbond-shop.com/Timothy_James_bond.jpg

He racks the bolt no less than 3 times, perhaps 4, before using it.
Old July 8, 2013, 01:19 AM   #64
SgtLumpy

Not really a "line" but -

Dan Matthews used to shoot a lot of locked door knobs off with his snub nose in "Highway Patrol". 21-50 bye...

And this one strays from guns a bit, sorry - Matthews was in a helicopter chasing a bad guy on the ground. He talked to dispatch or whoever on his Shure hand mic, then because of the helo noise, put the mic up to his ear so he could hear the reply.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 8, 2013, 01:24 AM   #65
dakota.potts

That one made me laugh.

However, as a musician, I hear that speakers can be used as microphones and vice versa. I don't remember exactly how but I seem to remember it was a cool engineering trick. The Beatles might have used a 4X10" speaker cabinet and rewired one of the 10" speakers to act as a microphone.

In this case, probably not what happened, but you never know.
Old July 8, 2013, 04:48 PM   #66
Archie

Just a detail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogpotter
The Geologist faking samples for Dr No sneaks into the mountaintop villa where Bond is waiting for him. He fires 5 rounds from a 1911 Colt & bond says "Thats a Smith & Wesson & you've had your 5". The 1911 goes *click* & bond kills him with the supressed PPK.
In all fairness, when the aforementioned geologist shot the lump on the bed six times, the pistol slide locked open. However many rounds it might hold in theory, it was empty. Of course, that didn't prevent the geologist from pointing the pistol at Bond and dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. (Slide now closed again.)

One of the other great goofy gun lines was in the movie "Man With the Golden Gun", after Scarmanga challenges Bond to a shoot out wherein Scaramanga would use his custom built (by Colibri, the cigarette lighter people) single shot pistol against Bond with his PPK, Bond replies, "My six bullets against your one?"

I suppose everyone knows all handguns hold six rounds, right?

Oh. In the book, the Man With the Golden Gun, Paco Scaramanga carried a gold plated Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt. (Gold plating has been used on handguns as a non-tarnishing finish, back before some of the modern finishes.) For some reason, a gold plated SAA wasn't 'sexy' enough. I still shake my head about that.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 8, 2013, 11:10 PM   #67
Bentonville

I don't think this has been mentioned yet on this thread. In the Trail of the Pink Panther, this scene took place.

Taxi Driver: Lady, the gun he showed me was a .38 Magnum.
Marie Jouvet: I don't know anything about guns.
Taxi Driver: Well, that gun makes enormous holes in things. I had a choice of kidnapping you, and getting shot with that gun. And to be perfectly frank, I would look terrible and feel worse with an enormous hole in me."
Old July 8, 2013, 11:18 PM   #68
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtLumpy
Dan Matthews used to shoot a lot of locked door knobs off with his snub nose in "Highway Patrol". 21-50 bye...
Dan Matthews? Highway Patrol?

The Highway Patrol I remember from when I was a kid starred Broderick Crawford. Was the show revived somewhere along the way with a different protagonist?

N'mind. Just looked it up -- Dan Mathews was his screen name.
Old July 8, 2013, 11:48 PM   #69
Machineguntony

I was watching a reality show, i dont remember the name of the show, where these gun brokers/auctioneers were putting up a rare Winchester 1 of 1000 for auction. They call in an expert to verify the authenticity, and the expert says there are some strange things about the gun, and the expert can't verify that it's fake, but just says he has a weird feeling that something is off.

The auctioneer does all huffy and does some research and finds the exact gun in an old catalog and proclaims, 'it's real!'. I'm watching this show (which is supposedly a reality show based on reality), and I'm thinking, wow I'm never buying any collectibles from these guys.

Anyways, the expert comes back and the owner/auctioneer shows the expert the 1 of 1000 that was authenticated in this catalog many years back with the same serial number in the old catalog.

Several days later, a caller, who found out about the auction, calls and says that he has the actual 1 of 1000, and that the gun in the catalog is a replica of his gun, and that the replica had been used by catalogs to promote their catalogs. They verify the callers story (I think by going to examine the actual gun) and the expert finally detemines that the gun that was in the auctioneer's possession, which was soon to be auctioned for 5 or six figures (I forget how much exactly) and AUTHENTICATED as genuine, was a replica of the original gun.

Imagine if the buyer at auction bought this gun, and the replica was sold as authentic at the auctioneers insistence. Wow.

Apparently the replica was a famous doppelgänger of the original gun, right down to the serial number. The problem? The doppelgänger was famous for being a good fake, but it was worth something like 1/10th of the originals value.

Did anyone ever see this show or episode? I would like to find it on YouTube or something.
Old July 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #70
Tuzo

Machineguntony

Watched that show and was impressed by lack of bleeps, hyperbole, hammy dramatization, cheesy background music, and other common low-value features of "reality" programming. Seems the show did not last very long because it lacked these features. Sorry, cannot recall the name of the show nor the channel.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:45 PM   #71
Machineguntony

Tuzo, I agree with you. I liked the show, although it was the only episode that I saw. It was very interesting. I just a little wary when I saw the auctioneer be so eager about declaring or "proving" that the 1of1000 was genuine, when its well known among collectors that 1of1000s have plenty of well made fakes (Last night I last looked up auction prices and saw that they go for $50,000 to $450,000...eeek).

I remember one of the guns they auctioned on the show was a 454 Casull, as a very collectible gun. I nearly dropped my jaw so low it hit the floor. I used to own a 454 Casull, and I bought it brand new like 15 years ago. I never thought a NEW gun that I bought in my lifetime would be called a "collectible".

Btw, I thought the Casull was crap. It was so not fun to shoot and handle.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:51 PM   #72
Machineguntony

Oh, and my favorite goofy movie gun quote comes from Dirty Harry:

"this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off"

I so loved this line and I bought a Colt Anaconda because of this line.

Gosh I miss my Colt Grizzly, Python, Anaconda, King Cobra. Sold em many years ago to finance grad school. I'm sure someone is enjoying them.
Old July 11, 2013, 06:31 PM   #73
Bart Noir

Yeah, I wish I didn't have to sell my King Cobra years back. That snake figure cut deep into the barrel was soooo cool. And the numbers in the serial number were 0911. How neat is that?

But what was the Colt Grizzly?

Bart Noir
Old July 12, 2013, 03:19 PM   #74
Machineguntony

Bart,

The Colt Grizzly was a .357 Magnum. It was a special version of the King Cobra that had two differences (as far as I know or could see): It had the three cuts on the sight line, like the Anaconda, and it had a smooth cylinder, all the way around. It was just a gorgeous gun. For some reason, Colt decided not to name the Grizzly after a snake theme.

The action was exactly like a King Cobra, because it was a King Cobra. It didn't have the buttery trigger of the Python.

I had them all in the 6 inch barrel version. It's sad because I tried a search online, and I think Colt has discontinued all the snake themed revolvers.

I really wish they would bring back the Python. That gun was my favorite revolver ever, and the best revolver ever made in the history of all mankind and in the history of the universe.

And finally, just the names and themes that Colt chose for all their revolvers is just soooooo bad ass. I mean...a King Cobra and an Anaconda...come on now. That's just too awesome.
Old July 14, 2013, 09:41 PM   #75
coldbeer

I can't remember the name of the movie but Mathew Slater goes into a gunstore and tells the guy behind the counter "I want a big gun that holds alot of bullets".