The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 5, 2010, 08:43 AM   #1
c.robertson

Roger & Spencer BP revolver

I have the opportunity to buy a 30+ year old reproduction Steel Frame .44 cal. Roger 7 Spencer Revolver in excellent condition through out. Locks up as tight as a brand new current production revolver and the steel frame is a even dark purple, same shade as the early Ruger Blackhawks. No scratches, dings, dents etc.
Import Euroarms
Also, the original owner claims the bore is .457, shooting the same diameter as the Ruger, which he also shoots.
Any opinions on value? The asking price is $150.00.

Thank you for any information.

cbr

Last edited by c.robertson; September 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Correcting Information
Old September 5, 2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

If you don't want it, I'll take it.

I've wasted a lot more than $150 in the past...that's ok.
Old September 5, 2010, 01:30 PM   #3
sltm1

As Angy said, if you don't want it give him 1st option and me 2nd!! I'd check the bore yourself, unless they made them larger back then, my 93' is .4354 and I use .454rbs. .457 seems rather large, especially since it's supposed to be a 44 cal.
Old September 5, 2010, 03:24 PM   #4
c.robertson

The owner just said the bore size was .457, but he will check to make sure. He may have confused it with his Ruger old Army.

I won't be buying it untill 06 or 07 Nov. anyway. Still paying on about $14,000.00+ CC debt for 11 BPCR rifles purchased over the past 2 years. Not counting accessories, casting equipment, lead, brass, sights, etc etc.
Old September 5, 2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

C.

I just bought that same pistol at a gun show for 175.00. The date code on mine says 1980.

Mine also has the frame changing to a rosey color.

I shot it today and my only criticism is the short hammer throw. I have never shot one before and to a guy who has shot only Colts and Remingtons, this short hammer throw is disconcerting. When you pull the hammer back, it stops "early" which means that you think it will slip out from under your thumb and fall against the cap causing the pistol to discharge early. Of course that doesn't happen because the short hammer travel is correct.

I got three inch groups and 680 to 750 fps today with 30 grains of Goex and a .454 ball. I love the loading lever system. It is better than the ROA in that the lever, plunger and cylinder pin don't fall apart when you take them out of the pistol. But I would be careful when putting it back into the pistol because the plunger can easily get out of position and scratch the finish on the frame

Mine likes number 10 caps, which I ran out of and had to go to number 11s. They were too big and didn't stay on the nipples properly.
Old September 5, 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
sltm1

Doc, why do you think there was such a big difference in the fps? Also, GOOD SHOOTIN' and keep an eye on the lever screws, they will loosen up after several cylinders.