The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2007, 06:52 PM   #1
kirbymagnum

What dies to get for my 204 Ruger?

I am looking for dies for my 204 Ruger, I will be buying the dies from Sinclair. I don't know which die set to get. What is the difference between the Redding Type S Match FL Die Set (I) and the Redding Type S Match FL Die Set (II)? What does the letter S stand for?
The neck sizing dies have different letters such as A, B, C, and D Which one should I buy? What is the difference? I don't know which bushings to get because there charts don't include the 204 Ruger, What bushings are you using? Should i be looking into any other dies?
Old June 8, 2007, 06:54 PM   #2
cheygriz

Send an E-mail to Sinclair with the type rifle you'll be shooting, and they can advise you. Redding is an excellent choice.
Old June 8, 2007, 10:50 PM   #3
stinger

I use the Lee Collet Die set as well as the Redding Neck Die set. I haven't really shot a whole lot of rounds through mine, so I haven't used the dies very much either. I started with 500 cases, and most have only been shot once, none more than twice.

I started with the Redding set because when I purchased them, they were the only ones. I purchased the Lee set soon after it came out, and really enjoy not having to lube (that is the whole reason that I purchased the collet set.) I have only used the Redding bullet seater.

My rifle seems not to be too finicky, and I'm not the greatest shooter in the world, so custom dies aren't really necessary for me. My pet load will shoot 5shot groups in the sub-3/4" area, not occassionally, but everytime I do my part. When I'm on my game, the 5 shots make one slightly larger hole around 1/3".

I could get by with the Lee set alone if I had to. But my next batch I will process with the Redding Neck die and see if there is any measurable difference. With a factory rifle (CZ) and an average rifleman, I'm not sure I will see much difference.

Hope that helped some.
Old June 10, 2007, 03:06 PM   #4
kirbymagnum

Thanks for the help. stinger, what bushings are you using?
Old June 10, 2007, 06:22 PM   #5
Vartarg

Forster

I've been using Forster FL sizing die and micrometer seating die, and am very pleased with them. Sinclair sells Forster as well as Redding....not knocking Redding, just suggest you might consider Forster.
Old June 10, 2007, 08:17 PM   #6
stinger

I am using the dies as they came out of the box...