The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Atc1man

Trimming a barrel down

Is it legal to cut a shotgun barrel down? If so, whats the accepted length and how is it measured?
Old December 13, 2002, 07:37 PM   #2
Preacherman

Yes, it's legal, provided that the barrel is not less than 18" in length. (I normally advise going for 18½", so as to leave room for error if the crown is damaged and the barrel needs to be re-crowned.) One normally measures barrel length to include the chamber. Close the action, drop a wooden dowel down the barrel, and make a mark on the dowel at the end of the barrel. Withdraw the dowel, measure the distance between the "breech end" of the dowel and your end-of-barrel mark, and the result is the length of the barrel.
Old December 13, 2002, 08:11 PM   #3
Atc1man

Thanks. I was thinking 20" would be a good length. My 1300 is primarily a hunting gun, but the 28" barrell is in good condition and unweildy for home use. I was thinking about picking up a used cheap beatup barrel and whacking it down, primarily for home use (backup to my handgun, and barricade weapon)
Old December 13, 2002, 10:34 PM   #4
psssniper

Ask Randy Weaver, he may have an opinion or two on this particular question. I'd go 18 1/2" as the Preacherman has suggested but be aware of the "Overall length" rule, (which when violated can get you shot by the alphabets) I believe that may be 26 1/2" but please check it out.
Old December 14, 2002, 12:39 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

By the book.
Shotgun...
Minimum barrel length 18"
Minimum overall length 26"

Either dimension under those and it must be registered as an AOW.

As above stated, be safe and cut a little long.

Sam