The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2006, 01:59 PM   #1
V4Vendetta

My trip to Dick's Sporting goods.

I went to the one in Greensboro today & noticed a beautiful double barrel 20 gauge shotgun with blued barrells & 3" chambers.

It did say what brand it was. It was on sale for $350. I'm broke right now so I didn't buy it but I was just wondering if it would be a good purchase. There were no employees there to help so I didn't get to find out anything else.

If I get it, it will be my first shotgun. I've heard that a good shotgun for HD is either a 870 or Mossberg 500 but I've always wanted a good double barrell ever since I saw "Big Jake" with Richard Boone & John Wayne.

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old August 17, 2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Mikeyboy

The Dick's SG store in my area seems to have decent prices for there firearms. They are not the bargain basement Walmart prices but they seem fair.
Old August 18, 2006, 07:42 AM   #3
deanadell

V4

It was more than likely a Stoeger Uplander......I'm pretty sure that's the model Dick's carries on a regular basis.

Pretty darn good scatter-gun for the price.
Old August 18, 2006, 12:56 PM   #4
V4Vendetta

That's it. An Uplander. Is the recoil on it worse than a AK clone?

Within each one of us there is a inch of hope, of will, of integrity. We must never lose or give away that inch. For within it we are free.
Old August 18, 2006, 02:38 PM   #5
sparkysteve

I agree. It has to be a Stoger. A good friend of mine has one. Nice shotgun for the money. I believe Stoger is now owned by Benelli. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dont tread on me.
Old August 18, 2006, 03:41 PM   #6
hossdaniels

greensboro? go down the road to gander mountain(exit 217 I-40). dicks has a very poor selection of shotguns. gander mtn. will have a better selection of shotguns and even have some used ones to check out if price is a concern. maybe try mace sports in mebane (exit 157 buckhorn rd I-85) or brians gun & tackle (exit 150 I-85)
bass pro shops in charlotte is a waste of time, maybe 3 or 4 brands.
if your willing to drive to raleigh, check out davi's guns and indoor range off capitol blvd.

p.s. pick me up some skeet, i'm 2 hrs away.
Old August 18, 2006, 07:37 PM   #7
Billy Sparks

The real neat thing about Gander Mountain is the cheaper shotguns are out where you can touch and fondle them without having to ask for assistence. Even the high dollar ones are out where you can see them just not fondle them.
Old August 19, 2006, 08:10 AM   #8
V4Vendetta

Good to see you here Billy ! I don't usually go to Greensboro because of time & the liquid gold it takes to get there.

Shannocks Music & Loan is where I usually go for ammo, etc. They have great service & always trying to help but not rushing you.

If I'm in Greensboro again, I'll look for Gander's store. Price is a concern though. I did a Google search for double barrell shotguns & it came up with a bunch of Italian model S/S that were around $10,000 !

That's why I was so happy to see one for $350.

Old August 19, 2006, 10:32 AM   #9
hossdaniels

your gonna have to spend around a grand for one that your gonna use much. good o/u's are expensive to build. but the ones for 10k wont last 10x longer than the 1k guns. (but the 1k gun might last 10x longer than the $350 shottie) you might find some used ones for around 800 or so.