The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 6, 2013, 11:08 AM   #1626
Curtis Simmons

Hello TFL

I am Curtis and I settled in VA after 6 years serving this great country in the USMC. Semper Fi to all my fellow Marines at TFL. I joined this week and have already am impressed with the civility and willingness, in the post if have read so far, of the forum members to discuss differences in opinions. My passion in firearms these days center around muzzle loaders. I own three, a side lock .54cal. Renegade, Thunder Hawk .50cal., and an Omega .50cal., all are T/C. The .54 was my Grandfather's which he gave to me just months before he passed away. Raised in southeast AR, I have been hunting and shooting since I was around 10, before that I went squirrel hunting (using a dog) with my Father and older brother. I was a good vine shaker or noise maker to get the squirrel to "roll' or move so they could find it or to get a better shot. Not as good a shot as I used to be but I can still shot some small groups.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:23 AM   #1627
SigSauerKraut

Hi friends! I got the biggest kick out of Harleywood's intro. I was born just down the road from Canton, OH but have lived in Florida since my parents dragged my brother and me here at age 8 (a gazillion years ago). So I can tell you all about sinkholes even though the wife and I have not had any problems. But we have a big, old one on the back part of our 5-acre parcel. And we suffer through six months of heat and humidity so that we can enjoy fall, winter, and early-spring.

We live about ten miles from the nearest town so we really don't have any crime to speak of (and we hope to keep it that way). Shortly after we moved out here - about 25 miles north of Li...I mean Gainesville - we purchased a S&W model 60 in nice used condition. I'm not going to live in an isolated place like this and rely upon the sheriff's department (no complaints about them, really) to help in case of an unwelcome guest.

Even though this area is firearms-friendly (we hear gunfire frequently), I had never even so much as shot the S&W until about a year ago. I had owned handguns back in my younger days but had sold them long ago. Since last Christmas, we have purchased a Springfield XDm 9mm, Ruger SP101 .357 Mag, and most recently, a SIG P938 Equinox. I bought the XDm for the wife for Christmas but she had trouble working the slide. So it became mine. The Ruger is hers. We both joined the NRA right after purchasing the Springfield. We have been to the range a few times and are looking forward to getting out concealed carry permits after the first of the year.

So that's our story and we're sticking to it. Very happy to be here. As I said in my first post (regarding a good, small range bag), gun people are GOOD people!
Old December 9, 2013, 08:29 PM   #1628
CWin

Ah, I found it... the "Introduce yourself here" thread. Sorry but this isn't my first post haha.
Starting to get a lot more interested in firearms, reloading, collecting, etc... Have a few long guns and 1 measly pistol. Just got my C&R and have my eyes set on a few guns already. Will probably have myself a couple of early Christmas presents this week.
I only have 1 range near me, actually 2 within 45 minutes. One is an "un-managed, open to the public, please put your $2 donation in the box" range... and its a crummy one, and the other is a club. Never been to it so I dont know what its like... so I don't get to shoot a lot.
I feel I will be on here reading quite a bit... probably during work hours haha.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:18 AM   #1629
grmschlr

New to the forum

Greetings - I am a recently certified appraiser and am building my network. While the certification is just a piece of paper, I have to build my knowledge.
Old December 13, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1630
bowedup48

Greetings,just joined this forum about a week ago,I am also a member of other forums as well always looking for more info and contacts,former Marine,currently living in Pensacola, Florida,love collecting military trainers,and enjoy Bench Rest and position shooting.Don"t hunt but enjoy shooting and off shore fishing.Keep it in the X.
Old December 24, 2013, 09:35 PM   #1631
KeeperOath

New guy from Central Indiana

Hello from the Hoosier State. I'm a Vietnam Vet and a Retired Engineer. Much of my day is spent as a volunteer at different places. Most of my "freetime" is spent with my firearms. I like to shoot them, clean them, read about them and to spend alot of time on firearm forums.

I hope to learn lots from my fellow members and look forward to sharing my knowledge with you when and where I can. I'm happy I found The Firing Line.

Dale
Old December 29, 2013, 10:01 PM   #1632
Maggs

New to the Forum

Hello,
I'm new to the firing line forum. I've been a shotgun shooter, reloader, hunter, and outdoor guy for 35+ years.

Thirty years reloading on MEC 600s, Grabbers, Sizemasters, and a 9000g. I've just started to reload for my only centerfire rifle (.30-06). I've been told that I must be trying to make it a "one-holer". I am reloading this down to be an enjoyable light-load.

I THINK that I am interested in a Rossi 520XX lever gun in .44 for deer hunting in Michigan. With the heavy 24 in octagon barrel, I envision low recoil and a steady, smooth handling gun.

On top of ALL that... my nephew gave me a Navy Colt 1861 Kit gun. So, now, I've got a new project and need to do some research.

So, when I found this forum, I figured that I could use my time to research three things:
1. Do I need to use a special bullet in the .30-06 light load for slower velocity loads and hunting deer?

2. How does the Rossi do with 60 - 70 yard shots and will it be a deer stopper? Will this be a better option than what I am trying to solve with #1 above.

3. Anyone ever put together one of those kit guns? I'm looking for some advise, photos, and tips.

Thanks, looking forward to poking around here.
Maggs
Old December 30, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1633
Diecorpse

I came across this forum while Googling reviews on some firearms. I am a member of a few different forums, such as Zombie Squad, and Steel Soldiers, etc. I grew up around guns and I love to hunt. I also shoot for sport, fun, and private competition. I study self defense, hunting, tactical and etc. I look forward to share and learn info on this forum. Thanks!
Old January 1, 2014, 01:56 PM   #1634
bonglee0507

Hi, im from manila, philippines. Happy new year!
Old January 4, 2014, 01:37 AM   #1635
mojorisen279

Hey guys! My name is Joey and I'm from Miami, FL. Looking forward to some great discussions!
Old January 4, 2014, 08:28 AM   #1636
jpbean

Thanks for providing a place to do introductions. My husband is an avid shooter and I am here to learn more about his passion. I look forward to getting to know all of you and to being able to hold intelligent conversations that connect with him.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1637
SmokeeatersE35

Hello TFL!!

Im a 33 year old Firefighter in Massachusetts.....that being said i grew up around guns all my life. I was hunting with my father when i was 5, i am an avid outdoor person...anything that has to do with hunting, camping, fishing, and guns is what im about....i own a few different weapons well 25 to be precise. My favorite one is my AR-15... These things are like legos....you can do whatever you want with them!! I recently put a new upper on and cant wait to get out and shoot!! but enough about me, hopefully on here i can make new friends and get advice of the fellow members.....i am all about constructive critisicm!!

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Massachusetts
Old January 5, 2014, 03:06 PM   #1638
oldbadger

Greetings, I am a long time lurker, new member. I have not posted in the past and will not post often since I feel I probably don't have much to contribute. I think most answers to problems have already been discussed. I was given my first firearm at age nine in 1943. It was a Springfield .22 bolt action rifle that has retained its accuracy to this date....I still have it but shoot it rarely since the sear is rather worn. I am now shooting a Sig Sauer .45 ACP handgun, a C3 which I like a lot. I look forward to cruising this site and continuing to learn new....stuff.

Last edited by oldbadger; January 6, 2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old January 6, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1639
Blind Pugh

Hi All

John here, from the UK. Been on the outskirts of the forum for a while and decided to join. I have a life-long interest in all things muzzle-loading and was also a keen target pistol shooter in the 1990's (S&W model 14).
I was told you are never too old to learn new things and I am here to do just that...
Old January 8, 2014, 05:17 PM   #1640
Fiskamon

Hi all, Fiskamon here. I visited a couple of times and found this site very informative and the members friendly. Would just like to say hello.
Old January 9, 2014, 08:39 PM   #1641
Tipsy Mcstagger

Hi, my name is Luke and I am also an addict. I'm 30, from south Texas and am somewhat new to reloading, but have been shooting since childhood. I've read this site for years, and decided to finally join because I have learned a lot reading the posts and feel like now, I might have something to add, and certainly have questions to ask. Every single gun I buy now is "the last one I'll need for a while." 12 years later...
Old January 12, 2014, 08:00 PM   #1642
Freakingstang

new to forum from Ohio

The name is Steve, most call me Freak.. into cars and guns. I reload and starting to get into casting also.

A few pics to welcome myself.

Old January 13, 2014, 01:48 PM   #1643
goodolsavage

I'm alex, I'm only 18 and yet i bought 2 rifles and have others that has been given to me.

have no pics of the shotguns or the old revolver though..

Last edited by Bud Helms; January 13, 2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: left justify several images and remove one image file nested inside another img tag set
Old January 16, 2014, 04:05 AM   #1644
Gunn Smithy

New to the Group

Howdy folks. As the title implies, I'm new to the group and got here due to some searching for 410 information that lead me to discussions here on The Firing Line. I'm still working on the rest of the information I was searching for but kept getting interrupted by folks wanting me to introduce myself here on this thread.

So here I am. I've lived in and about the central valley of CA for the better part of my life with a long career run down at the central coast working for PG&E at the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. Got put out to pasture a few years back due to complications of 37 years of diabetes. Health not going so well these days, but I've left everything in God's hands. He's the one with the plan anyhow so I figured I'd just follow along. My very first guns was a Winchester model 37A in 12 gauge on the day after my 18th birthday. (Most places are closed on the forth of July). Then my first handgun(s) was on the day after my 21st birthday, a Ruger Security Six and a Ruger Redhawk in 44 magnum. I've been a shotgun and a Ruger fan ever since.

I'm a life member of the NRA, NSSA, GOA, and an annual member of SASS. My first run at firearms gaming was practice trap every Wednesday nights. I'd always see the older crowd shooting skeet, so I told my shooting buddy that by golly I was going to give skeet a go. Thinking they were a bit of a snooty bunch (they never talked to anyone else but skeet shooters) I found out quite the different story. They bent over backwards to lend a hand and give me pointers. Too much so, as I finally had to tell them to pass on the sustained lead vs. the pass through shot vs. four feet lead hear but only a 2.5 lead there. I knew that I was going to have to see or rather feel what it was like to actually hit the birds at the various stations before I'd have a mental picture of what it looked like not to miss (I already had plenty of pictures of that). I started with a 28" modified 1100 and only hit 4 of the twenty five targets. I then shot a borrowed gun (Pirazzi I believe) and hit 16 of twenty five. Not bad for a beginner. This was before I found out that I was holding a gun that cost over ten thousand dollars. I quickly passed the gun back to the owner. Then I took out a hack saw and cut the barrel down to an even vent post (around 21 inches as I recall) and met my future machinist buddy who milled the barrel flush and remounted the sight bead. I also took of around 2 inches of butt stock. I was laughed at, but I never shot out of the twenties ever since that modification.

Then I had a run at PPC and ended up smithing the other department folks guns more that I shot myself. Got pretty good at gun tinkering and got my FFL to do it legal and all. At one time or the other I've owned just about every type of gun one could own. The it was marriage and kids and time flew by until the kids were almost grown and out of the house and I took up SASS shooting. That was the shortest run of firearms sports I've ever been involved with since my health started taking a dump. I no longer could hold up a long arm long enough to get a sight picture. I had what was called diabetic shoulder. That's where there is insufficient blood flow to the ball joint of the shoulder. This happens in the hip as well although it hasn't got me there as yet. That and I was now needing a cane if not walker to get around. Adds a lot to your stage times in SASS by moving with a walker and not being able to hold up a rifle or shotgun. So I quit and sold all my gear.

My firearms now constitute just revolvers with the longest barrel being 5.5 inches and the next runner up with a 3" tube. I had a couple of long barreled handguns set up for hunting (I had hoped to go with my son one last time to shoot pig). Never happened though. I still get to tinker and here is one of my latest projects with an Old Army now in 45LC. It's worth a look.
http://s563.photobucket.com/user/5kw...rdshead%20Grip
I have mainly double action 357 or 38's in Ruger, a couple of J Frames and two Ruger single actions, all stainless and all with Hogue grips (use to live just a few miles from their main plant). My next gun and maybe my last (if my wife has anything to do with it) is a stainless Circuit Judge. Only a fluke allowed them to be sold in California. CA has a big nasty law stating There shall in no case by any means be a revolving shotgun in the state of CA. Well the Feds interrupted them and said, but we have determined that this gun is a revolving rifle, not a shotgun so therefore you must sell them in your state unless you want to mess with interstate commerce which is a Federal item to worry about.

This coming right after our dear Governor signed into law a law prohibiting out of state ammo purchases. We were going to have to be licensed to be able to purchase ammo with a monthly quota (3000 rounds I think?) and have to fill out a bunch of paperwork at our local Ammunition Dealer. The fifth Circuit Court threw that law out stating that it messed with interstate commerce, a Federal item. So they didn't want to go down that same road and chose to allow the Circuit Judge come into the state. I know a short lived thing when I see it so I immediately got my name on one at my local dealer and will be reloading brass defensive loads for it. Four pellets of #000 buck, MagTech hulls, Ballistic Products innards, CCI 300 primers, and I'm still out in left field when it comes to powder. Aliant 410 powder looks like it might make the cut? I need confirmation though.

That's about it. I know a little bit about a lot of things when it comes to firearms and always looking to learn more. This site looks very promising in that regard and it's a pleasure to be here. Smithy.
Old January 16, 2014, 01:30 PM   #1645
Knight cadet

hello

I came across this site in a web search for info about an antique rifle. There looks like there's a great deal of info here, I look forward to some good conversations.
Old January 18, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1646
RamRoddoc

I have enjoyed the TFL for years just never bothered with registering until I saw the Atlanta Gun Buy back thread.

This is a top notch website. Thank you all who made it so.
Old January 19, 2014, 07:53 PM   #1647
Luke1981

Hello guys and gals!! I am a new member, and have enjoyed reading from here for awhile now. Just never seemed to get around to joining. I look forward to sharing what knowledge I have with this comunity.
Old January 20, 2014, 05:36 AM   #1648
bogger01

hey guys.i've been lurking on this sight for a few years and finally joined up to learn more about nra high power shooting.i've finally got the time now that my kids are a little older to actually compete.i shoot my first local match in 2 weeks
Old January 22, 2014, 10:24 AM   #1649
Ruler

New to TFL

Moves introduction to proper thread, sorry, didn't see it until after I'd posted already.

Link: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5748557

Also, I couldn't find the delete thread function on Tapatalk.
Old January 22, 2014, 10:25 AM   #1650
Ruler

New members - please introduce yourselves here

Hello all TFL members --

I wasn't sure where to post my introduction thread so I figured this was the right forum. To sum me up I'm a diehard gun enthusiast, NRA member and big time Second Amendment supporter.

The list of guns I currently own are:
- Sig Sauer 1911 Carry Nightmare .45
- Sig Sauer P226 9MM
- Sig Sauer P228 .40/.357 SIG
- Sig Sauer P220 .45
- Sig Sauer SP2022 9MM (2)
- Sig Sauer P938 Nightmare 9MM (2)
- Bushmaster C-15 AR15 5.56/.223
- Remington 870 Synthetic Pump 12G

I'm also an Information Technology Security / Network Security Analyst. I rock only the best brand of computers, Apple. I'm also a member of the jailbreak scene.

Anyways, I look forward to talking with many of you and exchanging knowledge, tips and tricks.

Until next time,
Ruler

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent