The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 11, 2022, 06:15 PM   #26
greenmtnguy

I have an RCBS press and die set for 45Colt, 45/70, 357/38, etc, but I also have a Lee Factory Crimp Die I use with each set. It allows slot of adjustments on crimp amount and I can crimp separately from bullet seating, which can be challenging with certain profile bullets. Plus, I can crimp anywhere on a bullet, even if it doesn't have a crimp groove where I need it
Old February 13, 2022, 11:05 PM   #27
rodfac

Quote:
Green Trapper: Get more familiar with handloading and 45 colt. Pay particular attention to B Pearce's 3-tier load categories in back issues of Handloader Magazine. Tier 3 are the large frame, Ruger only category. Tier 1 is original Colt SAA and clones. Tier 2 is ok for modern Colts and the newer medium frame Blackhawks......Tier 2 can get you1000-1100fps with 250-280gn bullets depending on load. I seldom have to load any hotter.
Excellent advice...well worth looking it up...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 15, 2022, 12:06 AM   #28
Crunchy Frog

Ruger makes two New Model Blackhawks in .45 Colt. One is on the large cylinder frame, the other is the Flattop built on the medium frame (the same cylinder frame as the New Vaquero).

The latter cannot take the Ruger Only loads but the Tier Two loads are nothing to sneeze at.

I’d take the Flattop every time. All steel (the blued large frame guns have an aluminum grip frame), much better proportions and the cylinder stops exactly in line with the loading gate.
Old February 15, 2022, 12:44 AM   #29
stinkeypete

The argument went like this: I have a super Blackhawk in .44 magnum and exactly the same gun in .45 LC. The only difference is a very slightly larger hole in the chamber. Knowing mechanical engineering and strength of materials, someone calculated a safe pressure for a hot-rod cartridge.

For this new smaller lighter revolver, it”s a. .357 or .45. The hole is one heck of a lot bigger and calculations of what the strength of the cylinder are are… much more engineering.

Ruger, probably worried about exactly the discussion we are having, made the “real” Blackhawk a 5 shooter .454 or .489 or .44 magnum hand cannon.

.45 Colt can be serious medicine. Hotter is hotter. But if you want the real experience, do your hand exercises and shoot some .454 Casull from a gun rated for it. THAT will clear your sinuses and say howdy.

Metal fatigue is no joke. No one knows how many proof loads a gun can take before the metal gives out and flies apart.

I”m am not always Mr. Safety but when bending the rules, I did the math and engineering and knew the risks. Some cartridges are limited by history, weak guns and are capable of more. For example, TC Contenders and 32-20.

In this case… this is NOT time to blow a revolver up.

Last edited by stinkeypete; February 15, 2022 at 12:57 AM.
Old February 15, 2022, 10:42 AM   #30
GeauxTide

The dimensions of the 454 are different, so I would contact Hornady.
Old February 15, 2022, 03:12 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

For me, its not about the ultimate strength of the gun as much as what I want, and what I am used to. Especially the "what I am used to", these days.

Got my first Ruger (new model) Blackhawk in .45 Colt/,45ACP in 1983. And, while I had read a lot about SA revolvers over the years, I had never had one before. It was a wonderful, eye-opening experience.

I got the gun because of the .45ACP cylinder. I had a .45 auto, and figured this gun would let me plink with my ACP ammo without having to chase and hunt for my brass. I picked up the gun and started home with it, and realized that I did not have any .45 Colt ammo for it, just ACP, so I stopped at a store on the way home and bought a box. Winchester 255gr the standard load.

I learned how my new model was different from the Colt SAA, that was kinda neat, could safely carry 6, not 5, and not having to put the gun on half cock (there isn't a half cock position) to load and unload was cool, too. And adjustable sights was a huge plus over the Colt SAA.

I made one small "mistake", the first time I shot the gun was with .45 Colt ammo. WOW!! The gun roared, the muzzle rose to the sky and I was hooked. After that, shooting ACP ammo in that gun was ...:meh"... ACP goes bang and the gun recoils enough that you know it went off, but nothing like what it does with even "regular" .45 Colt loads.

Since I had a great article in the Handloader Digest about loading the Ruger .45 Colt (there was only one at the time) of course, I tried out the heavy loads all the way up to the "Ruger Only" loads.

Learned that shooting heavy loads hurt my middle finger. Learned that Pachmayr grips prevented that, and gave me more to hang on to. Gun still rolls in the hand, just not as much. Also learned that the really heave loads are not pleasant to shoot, even with Pachmayr grips. Just not fun after a few rounds. With slightly heavier than standard factory ammo its fun and I can shoot all day if I want, without injury or serious fatigue.

So that gun got me hooked on the .45 Colt, since then, that gun has had thousands of rounds of .45 Colt fired through it, and only about 300 rnds of ACP I also have several Vaqueros in .45 Colt. And, I did have a New Vaquero, also in .45 Colt.

The New Vaquero was a nice gun, but it just never felt "right". Its was smaller (Colt size) than what I was used to, and after 30+ years shooting the larger Blackhawks and Vaqueros, it just seemed "small".

Because, of course, it is. A 4 5/8" barrel Vaquero and a 5.5" barrel New Vaquero are almost exactly the same size!! I don't mean the cylinders or frames, I mean overall size. Butt to muzzle the length is damn near the same (might be a small difference but not enough to see)

IF a Colt size gun is what you want, get a New Vaquero. I've got decades shooting the large frame Blackhawks, love them and have no real interest in the smaller guns, including the Flattops.

The alloy parts don't bother me, nor does the fact that the cylinder doesn't "stop" with the chamber perfectly centered in the loading gate.

About 30 some years ago I settled on one load, a 250gr swc on top of 10gr Unique. This is a heavy load in the old books and SAFE in COLT guns, so its nothing stressful in ANY of the Rugers. Does about 1100fps from my 7.5" and a bit less from shorter barrels. Powerful, fun to shoot, accurate in my guns (and in my hands!) if I want something more, I could load it, or simply go to a different caliber (.44mag for one).

The big Blackhawks are great guns, and for me, after nearly 40 years of using them, nothing else seems quite "right".

Nothing "wrong" with the smaller guns, just not "right" to me.
YMMV
Old February 15, 2022, 06:33 PM   #32
Pumpkin

It looks like the the old 45 Colt 255 gr load has all but disappeared. Replaced with multiple 200 something gr watered down Cowboy loads.
My first 45 Colt was a Model 25 with a 4" barrel, that traditional Colt load would open your eyes when you let one go, impressive!
I recently tried to find some of the "old" loads for my son's new Governor, maybe after a while they might come back but right now they seem to be MIA.
Old February 15, 2022, 11:40 PM   #33
rclark

Quote:
It looks like the the old 45 Colt 255 gr load has all but disappeared
... Not if you are a reloader! All I load is 250gr RNFP or 255gr SWC bullets. Never quite understood why some would 'water down' the 'standard' .45 Colt load . Not talking smoking loads either. Just standard 850-900fps loads...

As for the flattop ... no mistake there. My flattops are my favorites. Hardly ever get the run-of-the-mill large frames out any more. For anything around here, my flattops (and New Vaqueros) should handle anything I might run up against with Tier 1 and Tier 2 loads. Why shoot wrist busters ... unless planning for that African trip I suppose. Picking on a Cape Buffalo may prove dangerous.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 15, 2022, 11:47 PM   #34
Pathfinder45

What's the barrel length on your flat-top, KansasTrapper?
Old February 16, 2022, 07:48 AM   #35
FoghornLeghorn

All this talk about "Ruger only" and "44 mag performance from a 45 Colt cartridge" brings back memories. I developed an interest in guns about the time I graduated high school and followed the various iterations of handloading and shooting.

I went through my "Elmer Keith" phase of increasing the load till the gun blew up then back off a few grains for a suitable load. So to speak.

I ultimately came to the conclusion that if I want magnum performance, to get an appropriate magnum firearm and stop pushing the envelope.

I have two older Ruger Redhawks in 44 magnum that can easily handle any load I want, but if I ever need more, it's time for a rifle.

And my lesser framed 29-2s, I reserve for 44 special loads.

But that's just me.
Old February 16, 2022, 02:30 PM   #36
rclark

Quote:
I went through my "Elmer Keith" phase of increasing the load till the gun blew up then back off a few grains for a suitable load. So to speak.
Difference here is we know how far to push the .45 Colt, so not a big deal for those who want to go that direction. Linebaugh showed us the way with the large frame .45s as well as others for the medium frame ... and safely. The foundation has been laid. That said, the .429 will always be the .451's little brother no matter what Harry Callahan says....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 16, 2022, 04:06 PM   #37
Pumpkin

Including a 444 Contender?
Old February 16, 2022, 04:47 PM   #38
Pathfinder45

I used to run some of those heavy handloads through a full-size Blackhawk with a 7-1/2" barrel back in the 1970's, in my early 20's, and they seemed just fine at the time. I also tried again at the turn of the millennium, but this time using an original Vaquero with 4-5/8" barrel....after 12 rounds my hands were stinging and my self discipline to not flinch was wearing thin. Now, my upper loads are running 255 grain bullets under 1100 fps and much of what I shoot is running around 950. I'm done with the nuclear stuff... I'm still asking about that barrel length...
Old February 16, 2022, 05:56 PM   #39
smee78

I have one of the older 3 screw Ruger Blackhawks in .44 Magnum I believe it was made in 1957? I haven't looked the SN up on the Ruger site in many years. They are great guns but I still prefer my 45Colt revolvers over the 44's. Go out and enjoy your new revolver before you declare the world is ending, they are still great revolvers. If you want a superpower, then go get one of the new 480 or 454 Rugers. I see they are making them from the factory now.
Old February 16, 2022, 06:06 PM   #40
jackmoser65

Lots of misinformation in this thread.

The flat-top 45 is indeed a medium frame. Only the 41 and 44 magnum flat tops were on the large frame. We're talking strictly New Models here. The large frame New Model 45 Blackhawk is still in production and has been since 1973.

The original 44 mag Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are the same size and strength. The Super's cylinder is unfluted which adds nothing but weight and the only function difference is the grip frame.

There's nothing unsafe about "Ruger only" loads in the appropriate guns. Same margin of safety as factory loads in a 44 magnum.

There are no "Ruger only" 44 magnum loads but there are "Redhawk only" 44 magnum loads.
Old February 17, 2022, 02:27 PM   #41
44 AMP
Staff

I'm not a professional (professionals get paid! )
but here's my experience, it depends entirely on how the dies are made.

Generally speaking for straight wall cases where the only difference is case length, using a die set for a shorter cartridge to load a longer one is simple. You simply don't adjust the die in the press all the way "down" to compensate for the length difference.

The reverse MAY not be possible. Sizer, no problem. Expander, usually no problem, there's enough adjustment in the expander stem. Seating? probably no problem, but crimping, might be.

That depend on where the crimp shoulder is in the die body, relative to the bottom of the die body.

As an example, I have a die set (older) for .45 Colt. I can size, expand, and even seat bullets in the shorter .45 Schofield brass, but I cannot crimp the shorter case with that die, the bottom of the die hits the shellholder before the shorter case reaches the crimp shoulder.

This COULD be what happens with a .454 die loading .45 Colt. It might not be, it all depends on how the die you're using is made.
Old February 17, 2022, 04:05 PM   #42
Pumpkin

I used to load jacketed bullets for a 45 Colt Blackhawk I had with Lee 45 ACP dies, crimped'em and everything. Worked great.
Old February 17, 2022, 05:34 PM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I used to load jacketed bullets for a 45 Colt Blackhawk I had with Lee 45 ACP dies, crimped'em and everything. Worked great.
That works because dies for a shorter case can easily be backed out for a longer case.

you were, however, working your brass more than you would have with .45 Colt dies.
Old February 19, 2022, 10:03 PM   #44
KansasTrapper77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
What's the barrel length on your flat-top, KansasTrapper?
It is the 4 & 5/8" model. Now I'm all but going crazy waiting to get a chance to take it home to the farm and shoot it.
Old February 19, 2022, 10:48 PM   #45
Pathfinder45

I think you're gonna like that gun and, within its, "tier II", limitations, will give you all the power and recoil you need.
Old February 20, 2022, 08:15 AM   #46
Nathan

Not sure it was a mistake. Ruger doesn’t make a large frame 45 Colt Blackhawk of any kind according to their website.

I have one. I also have a bunch of rounds that i need to pull to salvage the components. I consider those rounds unbearable and they beat the gun too hard. I would much rather shoot my 265 gr cast around 1100 fps…..which is still fast!
Old February 20, 2022, 10:28 AM   #47
Drm50

The Ruger Blackhawk in 45Colt was what got me interested in the cartridge back in 60s. I had owned Colt & S&W DAs and Colt SAA clones in 45 but were all fixed sight guns. I only ended up with Ruger 45 because I set out to have one of every caliber SA Ruger made. I quit Ruger when the New Model came out. Their model names are confusing because neither of the FTs discussed are the original Flat Top of early Ruger Blackhawks.
Futher more Ruger made the 44 magnum in the Blackhawk with fluted cylinder back in late 50s and early 60s.
I’ve never been one to want to shoot extreme loads for the cartridge. I just buy next bigger gun. I can tell you one thing I found, and this is based on experience with 3 screw models.
The 45Colt and 44mg models did not have enough adjustments in sights for practical ranges.
They were fine for 100yds. The back sights bottomed out and front sight wasn’t high enough to do like 50yds. So if a guy is shooting iron sights and you are going extreme before you waste your time see if sights will handle it. I don’t like to hold off to hit , you can adjust load in some cases to put gun in zone that can be adjusted for.
Old February 20, 2022, 01:39 PM   #48
jackmoser65

Quote:
Not sure it was a mistake. Ruger doesn’t make a large frame 45 Colt Blackhawk of any kind according to their website.
Wrong. The website shows both the standard large frame New Model and the flat tops with multiple variations of each.

Large frame: https://www.ruger.com/products/newMo...eets/0446.html

Medium frame flat top:
https://www.ruger.com/products/newMo...eets/5242.html
Old February 20, 2022, 09:36 PM   #49
colt357

Check the serial number and the rear sight "ears"

There are indeed 2 frame sizes in the current production 45 Colt Blackhawks. Short of actually measuring the cylinder and cylinder window, the 2 easier, observational methods I've been told to use in determining which frame size is which are:

1) The current large frame 45 Colt Blackhawks have a 2 digit prefix (before the dash) in the serial number. The current production medium frame guns have a 3-digit prefix (before the dash) in the serial number.

2) The current production large frame 45 Colt Blackhawks have "ears" on the sides of the rear sights. Therefore, those Blackhawks are by definition, not "flattop Blackhawks." It is the current production "flattop" Blackhawks that are actually built on the medium frame.

I have examined several of the current production 45 Colt Blackhawks at local retailers, and the above 2 criteria have consistently held true. All of the medium frames were flattops with 3-digit SN prefixes, and all of the current production large frame 45 Colt Blackhawks had "ears" and 2-digit SN prefixes.

FWIW, I have a recent production large frame Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt with an additional factory 45 ACP cylinder. It has both the "ears" on the rear sight and the 2 digit serial number.

I believe the current production medium frame "flattop" 45 Colt Blackhawks were originally special runs for one of the large national distributers. At least the convertible variants were. However, I don't know if that is still true.

To add to the confusion, the current production 45 convertibles (45 Colt & ACP) are made in both the medium and large frames.

Regards,
Colt.

Tags
45 colt , ruger